• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Accordion addiction--it is a thing?

olivigus

Reaction score
Hello, good folks of the forum!
I'm new here, so wanted to introduce myself. I'm not sure I'll have that much to contribute, since I'm also very new to playing the accordion--just got my first one this March. But I love it and am enjoying learning from all the posts and replies here on the forum.

My accordion is a blue and white Concerto, which I think is a production model made by Marotta in the 60s (70s? 50s?). It has two treble reeds (LM) and two bass registers. Possibly a "ladies" model, since the keys are a bit narrower than others I've seen and it's pretty compact for a 120 bass. I don't think it's anything fancy in the world of accordions, but it's perfect for me right now. It sounds good, fits my hands well, and I think it's really pretty!

Soooo...why have I found myself trolling the internet, visiting e-bay and etsy and the websites of Liberty Bellows and various other accordion shops from across the globe, looking at accordions, reading about accordions, watching video after video of people playing accordions? Why does it suddenly seem that I simply MUST acquire another smaller vintage accordion, preferably with at least two M reeds, for traveling with and eventually playing anything French?

Does becoming an accordionist mean one is now destined to go through life as a fickle, roving-eyed, instrumental philanderer, constantly cheating on one's original baby? Since I've read on here that storage sheds are a definite no-no, where does one keep all these newly acquired accordions? Do I build an accordion addition on my house? And how does one explain the steady accumulation of squeezeboxes to one's normally supportive, but decidedly non-accordion-obsessed spouse? Is this my new normal?

Seriously. What has happened to me???

Resistance is futile...
My late dad has played accordion all his life, but I picked up my first squeezebox at age 50 (an old BbEb diatonic) and I now own and use 12 boxes (5 chromatic and 7 diatonic) and I have one on order that shall come in sometimes in September. I had more but I sold a few in the last 2 years.

As my dad used to say, each accordion has tunes hidden in it, and you have to find them.

Welcome to the club! :cool:

Welcome Gus,

It's common, and referred to as "accordion acquisition syndrome!!!" Most people here have probably suffered at one time or another. It's true that a better accordion will be more fun to play, and sound better, but only to a point. Many people (myself included) eventually find one or two instruments that will make them happy for a good long time. I recommend sellng those on the way to the promised land. Many people also turn to a digital accordion, often Roland, either in place of or in addition to the preferred acoustic (I would like to).

I recommend taking your time because your tastes will change. As far as watching videos and being obsessed - this is natural, nothing to worry about!

Welcome and good luck!

1. The only cure for addiction is abstinence.
2. You will know when you hit rock bottom but you seem only just to have begun your journey.
3. Recovery is possible only if you truly want it.
4. It is generally accepted that recovery is impossible if you continue to hang out with other users - and dealers.
5. Keep safe - trusted sources only: avoid ebay.

I must disagree with (5), my favourite accordion so far is a 1958 Hohner Lucia IVP I bought on ebay for £220 (2018/06/28).
I've done extensive fixing on it, but I haven't rewaxed or tuned it so far, and it's still the best sounding accordion I've got (of 4).

I did visit the seller twice and checked it out with my limited knowledge.
That's the important bit with ebay - try it in person, or be ok with taking a gamble.

Gus,
"And how does one explain the steady accumulation of squeezeboxes to one's normally supportive, but decidedly non-accordion-obsessed spouse? "
point out to your spouse how fortunate it is you haven't gone in for collecting steam railway locomotives or charabancs!?

Gus,
"And how does one explain the steady accumulation of squeezeboxes to one's normally supportive, but decidedly non-accordion-obsessed spouse? "
point out to your spouse how fortunate it is you haven't gone in for collecting steam railway locomotives or charabancs!?
Charabancs?

Thanks for the greetings and the advice! Perhaps I can get a charabanc to store the accordions in.
I have gleaned that it is wise to be wary of e-bay, although I have had good luck with online acquisitions in the past. The best one being my husband. I think I lucked out with my first accordion too. I found it on craigslist, but the young man I bought it from had completely refurbished it as part of his apprenticeship with a master accordion repair man in San Jose. I wound up getting a nice used case for it from his mentor, who is now my accordion teacher. I'm fortunate to have resources like that fairly nearby. I would probably buy a second one from my teacher, or at least get his advice on anything I'm considering.

Charabancs?
Charabancs: literally char à bancs = wagon with benches.
Used to describe originally horse-drawn vehicles ( that were not omnibuses ) carrying visitors to local places of interest.
Later used for motorised versions - 1920s-30s hungover to the 50s.
Now obsolete.
Pronounced charabangs or charas

Thanks for the greetings and the advice! Perhaps I can get a charabanc to store the accordions in.
I have gleaned that it is wise to be wary of e-bay, although I have had good luck with online acquisitions in the past. The best one being my husband. I think I lucked out with my first accordion too. I found it on craigslist, but the young man I bought it from had completely refurbished it as part of his apprenticeship with a master accordion repair man in San Jose. I wound up getting a nice used case for it from his mentor, who is now my accordion teacher. I'm fortunate to have resources like that fairly nearby. I would probably buy a second one from my teacher, or at least get his advice on anything I'm considering.
Accordions are best stored in a dry environment, with more or less constant temperature (between 20c and 25c) and if they have cassotto or Winkelbass then always in the playing orientation (i.e. not on their feet). A "Charabancs" does not sound suitable.

I must disagree with (5), my favourite accordion so far is a 1958 Hohner Lucia IVP I bought on ebay for £220 (2018/06/28).
I've done extensive fixing on it, but I haven't rewaxed or tuned it so far, and it's still the best sounding accordion I've got (of 4).

I did visit the seller twice and checked it out with my limited knowledge.
That's the important bit with ebay - try it in person, or be ok with taking a gamble.
You can get lucky, just like in the lottery. So while you may have got an excellent experience with Ebay, many people have not, maybe partly because of "not entirely honest" sellers, but also because of the high chance of shipping damage.

Yep, I'm not saying it isn't a lottery.
But I viewed it twice and then took it home on the train which avoids nearly all the problems.

Yep, I'm not saying it isn't a lottery.
But I viewed it twice and then took it home on the train which avoids nearly all the problems.
Right! Ebay is a lot safer when you can use it to buy something "locally" (within travel distance).

Welcome to the club. It’s definitely an addiction. I’m always searching, reading, learning about accordions, history, players, reeds, etc. I find it’s the first thing I do when I wake up snd the last thing I do before I go to sleep.
My basement has many old accordion cases stacked. Fortunately I have a very understanding and supportive wife who doesn’t mind accordions all over the place.
i love it and enjoy it all. I’m sure you will too.

This applies to most musical instruments. My theory is that we mistake acquisition of the instrument for development of skill. As a guitarist and diatonic accordionist (melodeonist) I am familiar with Guitar and Melodeon Acquisition Disorders (GAD, and MAD). I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned it before, but some years ago I went to an auction of guitars and similar instruments at a local auctioneer’s premises. The place is a commodious shed about 60feet by 30feet. On two floors. The instruments on sale occupied the whole of one floor. Quite densely arranged. In the auction catalogue it stated that they had been the collection of one individual. It didn’t say, but I assume the individual had departed this life, and is now getting to grips with either a harp or an accordion. Anyway, the auctioneers mentioned that the guitars were all kept in a single small house, and that their removal for sale was difficult to accomplish without damage either to the house or the instruments.

We all perform a useful function in life, if only as a terrible example to our fellow humans.

Oh it's a problem. Through the years I've managed to get it down to only three accordions in the house now - even though I play one of them 99% of the time.

Yet I'm still looking for a smaller acoustic that I'll probably never play, and am always looking for a nice chromatic accordion.

And I don't know how to play a chromatic accordion.

Accordions are best stored in a dry environment, with more or less constant temperature (between 20c and 25c) and if they have cassotto or Winkelbass then always in the playing orientation (i.e. not on their feet). A "Charabancs" does not sound suitable.
Quite true. Although if one did manage to assemble an accordion band, it might make a fine tour bus!

Welcome to the club. It’s definitely an addiction. I’m always searching, reading, learning about accordions, history, players, reeds, etc. I find it’s the first thing I do when I wake up snd the last thing I do before I go to sleep.
My basement has many old accordion cases stacked. Fortunately I have a very understanding and supportive wife who doesn’t mind accordions all over the place.
i love it and enjoy it all. I’m sure you will too.
Thanks! I'm definitely having fun.

Ah yes, as Tom pointed out, AAS is rampant around here. There is no known cure, since (as the saying goes) the optimal number of accordions is N + 1, where N = your current number of accordions.

It has two treble reeds (LM) and two bass registers. Possibly a "ladies" model, since the keys are a bit narrower than others I've seen and it's pretty compact for a 120 bass.

My first accordion was similar. They must've churned those narrow-key, 120-bass, LM accordions out by the truckload back in the day ('50s & '60s, I believe). They're all over the used market, it seems.

And, like you, I found myself quickly realizing I needed that MM sound!

And how does one explain the steady accumulation of squeezeboxes to one's normally supportive, but decidedly non-accordion-obsessed spouse?

I'm lucky to be married to a fellow musician who "gets it". But I think every spouse has their own expensive and/or space-consuming potential hobby. You just have to find and encourage whatever that is for yours. Then neither can point the finger at the other!

"Um, is that another accordion case piled behind the couch, dear?"

"Oh, why yes it is. Well there wasn't room for it in the spare bedroom, what with your new pottery wheel..."

This applies to most musical instruments. My theory is that we mistake acquisition of the instrument for development of skill. As a guitarist and diatonic accordionist (melodeonist) I am familiar with Guitar and Melodeon Acquisition Disorders (GAD, and MAD). I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned it before, but some years ago I went to an auction of guitars and similar instruments at a local auctioneer’s premises. The place is a commodious shed about 60feet by 30feet. On two floors. The instruments on sale occupied the whole of one floor. Quite densely arranged. In the auction catalogue it stated that they had been the collection of one individual. It didn’t say, but I assume the individual had departed this life, and is now getting to grips with either a harp or an accordion. Anyway, the auctioneers mentioned that the guitars were all kept in a single small house, and that their removal for sale was difficult to accomplish without damage either to the house or the instruments.

We all perform a useful function in life, if only as a terrible example to our fellow humans.
Oh, this is so true. I'm trying to de-accumulate now that I'm getting closer to the finish line of this life. But it's hard. I definitely have a collecting tendency. My sister is a guitarist and until this accordion thing I never understood how she could be so excited about getting a new guitar (when she already had 6) and how she could possibly play them all. That note about mistaking acquisition for developing skill rings so true. Kind of like "retail therapy." It feeds a certain need--perhaps the dream of possibility and potential?--but is a quick-fix, poor substitute for actually practicing with the instrument you already have. Hmmm, maybe if I go practice every time I have the urge to browse for accordions, I might actually get halfway good at this thing...

Back