• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Accordina Classical Guitar fingering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim2010

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there are any accordina players who also play classical guitar. Do you use 1 2 3 4 5 for accordina fingering or P 1 2 3 4 (or something else)? Thanks.

(Note: I do not play guitar.)
Accordina fingering, just like accordion fingering, always uses 1 2 3 4 5.

Thanks, Paul. The reason I was looking for feedback from someone who plays classical guitar as well as accordina is because classical guitarists (like myself) use the left hand numbering 1 (index) 2 (middle) 3 (Ring) 4 (little finger). Right hand is P (thumb) I (index) M (middle) little finger in not typically used or notated.

I am curious if anyone plays both accordina and classical guitar and if they notate their fingering in a way as to avoid the confusion of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 meaning different fingers on each instrument.

Since I learned classical guitar first, I have a 50 year habit of thinking 1 means index finger (etc.), and P means thumb.

I play CBA and in the past have played classical guitar.
Like Paul says, for accordion or accordina we always use 1 2 3 4 5 fingering numbers.
1 for the thumb , up to 5 for the pinky.

As for classical guitar, I have never used the p 1 2 3 4 for the right hand.
Why would you use the pinky (4) for classical guitar playing?
We only used four fingers, but not the pinky of the right hand.

In school we used the PIMA terminology for guitar playing:
quote: P = pulgar (thumb) I = indice (index finger) M = medio (middle finger) A = anular (ring finger)

https://www.fender.com/articles/play/what-is-pima

I dont quite understand why one would use the guitar right hand fingering numbering system for the accordina (or accordion).

I know, I have both CBAs and a Borel c-system accordina.
The accordina was developed for CBA accordionists who wanted to practice while traveling or on airplanes.

As Paul, I can reassure you, you can use the same fingering for CBA for the accordina.

The accordina is more related to the CBA accordion than to a classical six string guitar.

If you want to play rasgueado and flamenco guitar techniques on the accordina, you are free to use "pima" techniques.
Personally, I don't very often perform flamenco guitar music on my accordina.
I pick up my 6 string guitar

I would love to play flamenco on my accordion. Not sure how I'd work the castanets though without getting feet involved.

Thanks everyone for the fascinating comments. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back