• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

A true story....

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is a not a story about the last time I went to Italy. I am merely recounting the sad tale of my friend, who has finally found the courage to relate these strange and perhaps disturbing facts. Here in his own words:

Omg, thought I, as my bus reachd the outskirts of Partapane, "We're all gonna die!!"

I was on my way to Castelfidardo, for a course in accordion repair at the Academy when the road literally began to shake under the wheels.

"Scappar via! Get out now!" yelled the driver as we all piled out. I staggered across the road, looking up in time to see a bright red object hurtling toward my head! An object obviously dislodged by the quake from a balcony or window of the "upper village" of Partapane, a hill town outside Castelfi, so small it doesn't even show up on Google.

I got my hand up just in time to dampen the blow, trying to avoid certain death, but not to avoid being knocked out cold, curled up beneath a prickly pear bush. Some time later, could have been hours, could have been years, I opened my eyes to two incontrovertible facts:

One: It was definitely an accordion that knocked my cold. A Scandalli, probably LMMH, possibly with a row or two in cassotto.

Two: I was definetly dead, as I looked into the deep set, dark eyes of the Madonna, probably guiding me to the pearly gates to be judged, hopefully by a benificent God.

"I didn't mean it!" I cried, "It was my cousin Danny's idea to set that barn on fire back in 2005! I've been good all my life, I even took the kids to church for a couple months when they were young!" "What are you talking about?" said she, "Calm down, that's a nasty hit you took to the head, we gotta get you fixed up. Come with me."

It was only later that it dawned on me that she spoke perfect English, a matter I will reflect upon soon. Grabbing that Scandalli with one hand, and leaning on her arm, we limped into downtown (if you call it that) Partapane.

I looked around. Here was the butcher with the bloody apron, the plumber with the big old mustache, the parish priest with the black cassock and far away look in his eyes. The cobblestoned streets, the sand colored buildings fronting alleys so narrow you could hardly open your bellows all the way.

Omg, I thought, "I've died and gone to heaven, I'm in the Real Italy." No sooner had I had these thoughts when my hopes were sorely dashed by the erstwhile Madonna. "No, silly, you're not dead, you've just entered Italy 2.0, the Stereotype, the land of 1000 cozy mysteries and 2000 awful rom coms. The tarantella dancing, grape stomping, under the Tuscan (or in this case Marche) sun land where the paesani smile and everyone knows your name."

We stumbled back to her house, a typical stucco and chestnut beamed affair with artesian well, stands of lavender and olives, and a bubbling ragu in the faux wood fired oven. After administering to my broken head, she said, "Piacere, mi chiamo Mariangela, I'm Mariangela. I'm a journalist from Milan, here for an investgation of Mafia corruption in the building of accordions. It's been alleged that undocumented workers from China are smuggling in leathers and palettes, disguised as real "a mano (handmade)" but actually the fruits of forced labor in the far south."

This being the stereotype Italy of rustic sunsets and all, we enjoyed a fabulous 8 course dinner, followed by a night of the type of incredible bliss you find only in your wildest dreams. (This is a family novel, giallo perhaps, but not explicitly rosso).

The next morning, although famished by the nocturnal exertions, I awoke not to uovo and prosciutto, but to nuclear espresso and a crusty cornetto or two. "But why me?" I asked, not imagining for a moment my earthly charms would interest such a worldly and beautiful Italiana. "Oh, you're just for a little fun," says she, "What I need is an accordion. You see, I need some traditional and slightly sinister backing tracks for my documentary. When I saw that Scandalli by your head, I figured you'd do just fine!"

So, after a long morning of recording, mixing, mixing, recording, we finally got some acceptable tracks laid down. "Man," thought I, "if only my buddy Jerry were here we could have done this in half the time, but then I would have missed the day with the lovely Mariangela. I think she likes me. πŸ˜‰"

It being noon, Partapane would totally shut down until 4:00 so I decided a little walk to check out the town was in order while Mariangela worked on her documentary. Returning 2 hours later, I was startled to see yellow crime tape on the door, and an official looking man holding the Scandalli. "This yours?" he demanded. Uh oh, not this. "No," says I, "I was escaping an earthquake when it fell from the sky and knocked me into this Italy 2.0."

"Yea, right, and I'm Babbo Natale! Actually, I'm Commissario Salvo Brunetto, of the Partapane Police, and you're coming with me. A woman has been murdered and you're the last one seen entering and leaving her humble abode....."

To be continued.....

Last edited:
This is a not a story about the last time I went to Italy. I am merely recounting the sad tale of my friend, who has finally found the courage to relate these strange and perhaps disturbing facts. Here in his own words:

Omg, thought I, as my bus reachd the outskirts of Partapane, "We're all gonna die!!"

I was on my way to Castelfidardo, for a course in accordion repair at the Academy when the road literally began to shake under the wheels.

"Scappar via! Get out now!" yelled the driver as we all piled out. I staggered across the road, looking up in time to see a bright red object hurtling toward my head! An object obviously dislodged by the quake from a balcony or window of the "upper village" of Partapane, a hill town outside Castelfi, so small it doesn't even show up on Google.

I got my hand up just in time to dampen the blow, trying to avoid certain death, but not to avoid being knocked out cold, curled up beneath a prickly pear bush. Some time later, could have been hours, could have been years, I opened my eyes to two incontrovertible facts:

One: It was definitely an accordion that knocked my cold. A Scandalli, probably LMMH, possibly with a row or two in cassotto.

Two: I was definetly dead, as I looked into the deep set, dark eyes of the Madonna, probably guiding me to the pearly gates to be judged, hopefully by a benificent God.

"I didn't mean it!" I cried, "It was my cousin Danny's idea to set that barn on fire back in 2005! I've been good all my life, I even took the kids to church for a couple months when they were young!" "What are you talking about?" said she, "Calm down, that's a nasty hit you took to the head, we gotta get you fixed up. Come with me."

It was only later that it dawned on me that she spoke perfect English, a matter I will reflect upon soon. Grabbing that Scandalli with one hand, and leaning on her arm, we limped into downtown (if you call it that) Partapane.

I looked around. Here was the butcher with the bloody apron, the plumber with the big old mustache, the parish priest with the black cassock and far away look in his eyes. The cobblestoned streets, the sand colored buildings fronting alleys so narrow you could hardly open your bellows all the way.

Omg, I thought, "I've died and gone to heaven, I'm in the Real Italy." No sooner had I had these thoughts when my hopes were sorely dashed by the erstwhile Madonna. "No, silly, you're not dead, you've just entered Italy 2.0, the Stereotype, the land of 1000 cozy mysteries and 2000 awful rom coms. The tarantella dancing, grape stomping, under the Tuscan (or in this case Marche) sun land where the paesani smile and everyone knows your name."

We stumbled back to her house, a typical stucco and chestnut beamed affair with artesian well, stands of lavender and olives, and a bubbling ragu in the faux wood fired oven. After administering to my broken head, she said, "Piacere, mi chiamo Mariangela, I'm Mariangela. I'm a journalist from Milan, here for an investgation of Mafia corruption in the building of accordions. It's been alleged that undocumented workers from China are smuggling in leathers and palettes, disguised as real "a mano (handmade)" but actually the fruits of forced labor in the far south."

This being the stereotype Italy of rustic sunsets and all, we enjoyed a fabulous 8 course dinner, followed by a night of the type of incredible bliss you find only in your wildest dreams. (This is a family novel, giallo perhaps, but not explicitly rosso).

The next morning, although famished by the nocturnal exertions, I awoke not to uovo and prosciutto, but to nuclear espresso and a crusty cornetto or two. "But why me?" I asked, not imagining for a moment my earthly charms would interest such a worldly and beautiful Italiana. "Oh, you're just for a little fun," says she, "What I need is an accordion. You see, I need some traditional and slightly sinister backing tracks for my documentary. When I saw that Scandalli by your head, I figured you'd do just fine!"

So, after a long morning of recording, mixing, mixing, recording, we finally got some acceptable tracks laid down. "Man," thought I, "if only my buddy Jerry were here we could have done this in half the time, but then I would have missed the day with the lovely Mariangela. I think she likes me. πŸ˜‰"

It being noon, Partapane would totally shut down until 4:00 so I decided a little walk to check out the town was in order while Mariangela worked on her documentary. Returning 2 hours later, I was startled to see yellow crime tape on the door, and an official looking man holding the Scandalli. "This yours?" he demanded. Uh oh, not this. "No," says I, "I was escaping an earthquake when it fell from the sky and knocked me into this Italy 2.0."

"Yea, right, and I'm Babba Natale! Actually, I'm Commissario Salvo Brunetti, of the Castelfidardo Police, and you're coming with me. A woman has been murdered and you're the last one seen entering and leaving her humble abode....."

To be continued.....
Please don’t keep us waiting too long, Tom. This is good stuff.Thanks.

2. Commissario Brunetto

"Oh my frappin' gromulator! What in the heck is this all about?" thought Commissario Salvo Brunetto. "First we have George Clooney and (the real) Madonna stomping around buying up old ruins, not to mention these crazed foreigners coming over here trying to learn to fix accordions. Fix accordions? In 2022? What kind of nutjob is that? The world has gone lert! Now the second known murder in the history of Partapane, just when I thought it was safe to retire and fade into the sunset of my villa in the shade."

You see, our Commissario was raised on Luitenant Colombo and the like, and, this being Italy 2.0, was fated to be the gruff, handsome, no nonsense arbitor of law and order in tiny Partapane, ready to solve any mystery at the drop of a coppola (flat cap, hat, the type generally worn by chauffeurs or villians in spaghetti rom coms).

(The first known murder occurred in 1978 when a bunch of strange Norwegian hippies subsumed one of there own in a vat of grape must, conked out of their gourd in a purple haze of the ganje and the grapp. The Commissario was able to determine a motive related to an intricate inheritance scandal. See Book 1, "The Cask of Verdiccio".)

Anyway, for our backstory, Salvo was the unlikely product of a Venetian father and Sicilian mother. Imagine the fireworks! His father was a gondolier (naturally), whose feet grew tired of navigating the curved floor of his gondola after an 8 hour day of ferrying tourists around the lagoon. He invented a sort of ergonomic sole which allowed him to stand up straight while drifting along the canal, playing the "Carnevale di Venezia" on his accordion, much to the delight of the delightful American turistas. A good job if you can get it.

To wrap up, he went down to the Marche, hooked up with a small shoe factory there, and made his small fortune with "the gondolier's friend," a stylish but sturdy affair with the curved sole, available in two tone or whole tone. Meanwhile he also hooked up with Carmelita, the love of his life, newly arrived from Palermo to work for the season stitching boots. They were married with plenty of rice and confetti and 10 months later here comes our hero, Salvo Brunetto.

3. Busking in the Piazza

.....to be continued

Omg, dead? Mariangela? I couldn't believe what I was hearing from this Commissario Brunetto. And I'm the primary suspect? Naturally, being in Italy 2.0 I was not arrested immediately but told "Not to leave town until this issue is cleared up, and be ready to come in for questioning as soon as we open again at 4:00." Nothing, not even murder can break the time honored tradition of rest, relaxation or clandestine afternoon delight (....sky rockets in flight....).

So, here I am, stuck in Partapane, can't get to my Airbnb in Castelfidardo, got no money or even clean clothes, everything lost in the quake. All I have is this red Scandalli accordion. Only one thing to do - busk in the piazza, try to make a few shekels.

Fortunately, in this Italy there is a big statue of Santa Monica Fisara, patron Saint of accordionists, born in Partapane in 1705, sainted in 1775. The statue was carved by the famous Antonio Canova, so it attracts aficionados on their pilgrimage to Castelfi, the Americans plainly visible in their bright shorts, fanny packs, big vacant smiles and sandle socks.

I grab a t shirt that says "Coca Cola Green Sustain" and a coppola that have been conveniently (magically?) stashed under a 2nd century column. Now looking the part, I smile bigly and break into a tarantella version of "That's Amore," and a few other vaguely Italianish tunes. The Americans jump up and down, throwing euro coins into my hat, the Chinese tourists follow their leader's flag within earshot and take a million pictures, never to be seen by human eyes.

I'm makin' the bacon hand over fist but long for Italy 1 where I haven't been accused of killing anyone, they all hate Americans (but love their money) and bad pop music from the 70s plays in bars with surly baristas and glares from haughty women in tomorrow's fashions. How am I ever going to get back?

4. The Shakedown

So, I'm jammin' out, switching registers, opening and closing the saxophone valves, going in and out of cassotto, having a good ol' time, even a moonwalk or two on Despacito. When up strolls this ragazza, all in black and chains, a few piercings, trying to look tough.

"Yo Gringo," she says, "I got some good news and bad news for you.

One: You sound pretty good, and I always wanted to learn to play the accordion, my nonno used to play, would lull me to sleep with the soothing sounds of Amore Mio non Piangere of a moonlit night. You think you could teach me to play?

Two: "I'm a not a gonna break a you head," because of One, above, but I gotta tell you, you're in Giocomeloni territory and I've been sent here to collect the pizzo. They call me "Donna the Lion," you mess with me, you mess with the family, Capisce?"

Omg, shakedown by a baby mafiosa? What is this world coming to?

"Ok," says I, "I got the same for you:

One: Sure, no prob, you got these 110 bass buttons, see, and they follow the circle of fifths; major, minor, 7th, demented. You get 'em going with your left hand while you jam out with your right, nothing to it, here, give it a try....

Two: Nessun problema, I got plenty of pizzo from these dumb Amercans, but if I'm gonna teach you accordion you gotta help me out."

"Ok, it's a deal, but can you teach me some Billie Eilish?"

"Yeah, no prob, but you gotta use that clarinet reed for Happier Than Ever, like this.. And, you gotta ask around your *family* for any information about a certain journalist's demise before I show you how to play the chorus."

5. Back to the Future

.....to be continued

"Man," thought I, "if only my buddy Jerry were here we could have done this in half the time, but then I would have missed the day with the lovely Mariangela. I think she likes me. πŸ˜‰"
hahaha!!!! Eagerly awaiting the following chapter.

PS: what are you doing wasting your time playing accordion? You are obviously a master writer for Reader's Digest and have millions stashed away in your mattress! :D

hahaha!!!! Eagerly awaiting the following chapter.

PS: what are you doing wasting your time playing accordion? You are obviously a master writer for Reader's Digest and have millions stashed away in your mattress! :D
Ha ha, thanks Jerry! Yeah, it's hard to sleep on this bumpy mattress... As you know, I used to be an urban planner writing future livability plans and dealing with politicians 24/7 so I got pretty good at fiction writing. I needed something more challenging than adressing annual maintenance needs of $85 mil with a budget of $50 so I decided why not try to get a serious response to a seriously complicated instrument that is not only difficult to play but is generally associated with bubbles and.....polka??? πŸͺ—πŸ˜πŸ€£πŸ˜œπŸ˜‰

Ok, let's see if I can remember how the story ends.....

Last edited:
Ok, Jerry, I'll see about it this week.... 🀣

The plot thickens....

So, a couple days hanging around Partapane, eating braciole by the pound and playing some mean Scandalli seems to be bringing little relief.

Finally, after our third lesson (bellows shake, free bass composition, intricate stradella jazz chords) I realize that Donna the Lion has way more talent than me and could really be going somewhere. Using my ingrained talents for teaching, I'm able to keep her occupied, and I finally got an email with some "background" from the family, who are, it seems intimately involved in the situation.

Seems our Mariangela, in addition to her production talents, was an extremely creative artist, specializing in abstract paintings of accordionists and related subjects. She was just about to cash in on the first run of NFTs of her art, realizing a 7 figure payout. Unfortunately, her banker was well known to the Giocomelonis, and spilled the proverbial beans.

An "enforcer" was sent over to extricate the NFT password from the unsuspecting Mariangela, who, in trying to escape, tripped, and fell down two flights of stairs, resulting in her unfortunate demise.

I was able to leak this information to Brunetto, who closed the case, managing to take all the credit for himself.

I, on the other hand, was blown away by the beauty and intricacy of Mariangela's paintings. So much that I was knocked for a loop, back into Italy 1.0 where as an American tourist, I was once again treated like chopped liver, except for the extracomunitari trying to sell me bracelets and other things generally. I've attached a few of her paintings.

I eventually made it to the accordion repair course, but man, I miss that red Scandalli.

1669736534380.jpg1669735216419.jpg1669734931044.jpg1669736243544.jpg1669734277549.jpg

Back