• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

3D Printing free reed music instruments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stephen, thanks for an interesting link! :)

It all looks very promising.

I wonder what the longevity of the plastic is. Many traditional concertinas are in excess of a hundred years old.
It would be just too bad if, by accident, a biodegradable batch were to be used! :)

it should be sturdy:

"No, this is not a toy at all. Every part of it is engineered properly; the stresses and strains, the tension forces...and so on, everything has been accounted for. So it won’t break. This concertina is very solid."

very nice!

Dingo40 said:
Stephen, thanks for an interesting link! :)

It all looks very promising.

I wonder what the longevity of the plastic is. Many traditional concertinas are in excess of a hundred years old.
It would be just too bad if, by accident, a biodegradable batch were to be used! :)

I do quite a bit of 3D printing, for all kinds of things. Initially (that's about 10 years ago) I printed everything in ABS plastic. It lasts forever (they say) but it suffers from shrinking when it cools down, causing larger objects with a flat bottom to curl up as the print cools. It's a pain to get a flat bottom to stay really flat, but it can be done. I read or heard somewhere that Lego is made out of ABS plastic. It sure lasts forever.
Nowadays I print almost exclusively in PLA which is biodegradable. But... at normal temperatures where accordions are used it does not degrade as far as I know. Things for accordions that I make the most are feet and the knobs of chin switches. It's just faster to print new feet than to order them from Carini. It's not that it's a big money saver (except for shipping cost).

The concertina is far more impressive and better looking than I expected.

It's a bit of a pity that he says "But to get a traditional rivet that is neither too loose or too tight is a dark art. So I’ve invented a method that does not require a rivet at all - where the plastic lever is held in place simply using the spring."
Sorry, not invented, that's the method that was used in thousands of concertinas made by Lachenal - far more than the Wheatstones etc with their riveted action.

But that's just a quibble - fair play to him.

Hi Stephen,

Fascinating !!!!! If I can manage to put aside my traditionalist's fear of new technology, I could perhaps accept that a new production method can produce an acceptable instrument.

Mind you, I still love steam locomotives.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Looks like a neat project. Add stainless reeds, and maybe it would be a good option for use in less hospitable climate conditions.

Like Stephen, I still like my traditional materials. Or perhaps it's partially just that I like wood, being a woodworker myself. In any case, aside from the poor environmental condition advantage I'd probably have a harder time resisting an all wood instrument than one like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back