• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

3d printed figurines

I have printed one of those accordions and another smaller one that more or less looks like a hunk of plastic. 3D printing is cool stuff, and I have definitely found it handy for more than a few accordion parts, most notably sliders (which are hard to find around here).

I have printed one of those accordions and another smaller one that more or less looks like a hunk of plastic. 3D printing is cool stuff, and I have definitely found it handy for more than a few accordion parts, most notably sliders (which are hard to find around here).
3D printing is great for objects that do not have very fine detail. Printing such small accordions is pushing the limits, especially on details like the bass buttons.
But for printing replacement accordion feet for instance 3D printing is a great solution, cheaper and faster (and maybe also better) than trying to find an exact match for the feet you need to replace. I also print chin switch protectors, which help prevent damage when a bag or case holding an accordion is inadvertently placed with the accordion inside upside down (and its weight pressing on all chin switches simultaneously.

Mr Mark: When you mention 'sliders' do you mean the parts which slide into the end of the reed block/or are incorporated in the body work where the reed block sits to shut off the air to a set of reeds? If so I'm interested as I have a Hohner from the fifties with a missing bass slider. Normally helpful Hohner need a broken part for a pattern to enable them to identify if they have a spare but as I don't have the original at all I'm at a standstill there sooo........... a 3D printed version starts to be an interesting possibility.

Mr Mark: When you mention 'sliders' do you mean the parts which slide into the end of the reed block/or are incorporated in the body work where the reed block sits to shut off the air to a set of reeds? If so I'm interested as I have a Hohner from the fifties with a missing bass slider. Normally helpful Hohner need a broken part for a pattern to enable them to identify if they have a spare but as I don't have the original at all I'm at a standstill there sooo........... a 3D printed version starts to be an interesting possibility.
Boxplayer,

Yes, absolutely I mean sliders inside reedblocks and/or sliders for soundplates, I have done both.

With a bit of trial and error these are as good as the real thing. In my case I have a printer which isn't actually big enough so I had to print (in one case) a three part slider that connects together like puzzle pieces then are superglued - but with a large enough printer for sure this can be done as one.

They are definitely fragile, but so are the metal ones. The biggest issue is making them the right thickness, the fragile part is when you have to sand them down from being slightly oversized so they fit just right and don't leak air. Too big and they of course stick, or worse, crack the reedblock. It is also very important that the tang which activates the slider does not put undue stress where it pulls on the slider or it will break (so make sure it isn't sticking).

The learning curve is learning how to design these in CAD software. I measured all of mine out and learned to make them in FREECAD, then transfer them to CURA for printing. There is also the option of using a turntable camera cad option but I haven't gone there yet so cant speak to its effectiveness. All in all I spent about $300 on a printer and spool of plastic, all of the software was free. The toll on my time to learn it all was priceless of course :).

Attachments

• slider.jpg
    slider.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 6
3D printing is great for objects that do not have very fine detail. Printing such small accordions is pushing the limits, especially on details like the bass buttons.
But for printing replacement accordion feet for instance 3D printing is a great solution, cheaper and faster (and maybe also better) than trying to find an exact match for the feet you need to replace. I also print chin switch protectors, which help prevent damage when a bag or case holding an accordion is inadvertently placed with the accordion inside upside down (and its weight pressing on all chin switches simultaneously.
Agreed 100%. 3D printing is also not good for things which are susceptible to a lot of sideways sheer stress. So I probably wouldn't print anything significant such as accordion bodies, but likely everything else in an accordion would be fine. I have made exactly one reed block as well - but it didn't fit the space I needed it for so cannot speak to how well the wax would hold.

Back