• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

2024 Market Goals

I need a major change. I’m getting tired of playing these same old tunes and the thought of adding 2 more hours of similar just won’t do. I need to do some major change, improv, originals, sing, something! I talked about this before and it hasn’t worked out. Got some wood chopping to do this morning, just put Arrigo Tomasi on “play all.” Way over my head, and I’ll not do it justice like Piotr but maybe a goal…..some of them seem approachable. This accordion playing thing is hard!

I need a major change. I’m getting tired of playing these same old tunes and the thought of adding 2 more hours of similar just won’t do. I need to do some major change, improv, originals, sing, something! I talked about this before and it hasn’t worked out. Got some wood chopping to do this morning, just put Arrigo Tomasi on “play all.” Way over my head, and I’ll not do it justice like Piotr but maybe a goal…..some of them seem approachable. This accordion playing thing is hard!
You know why I say I haven't gotten 10 minutes of repertoire? Because I keep reworking on the same old things. The more I play them, they worse they get. Or rather: the more I play them, they worse they were.

I'll do a lot of presuming in the following, it may or may not apply. Take a good piece from your repertoire, preferably a slower one for the start. Put the melody hand away. Play just the left hand. This is your bass group. You have a picked acoustic bass. You have a rhythm guitar or a banjo (depends on your registers). Possibly a bass drum and snare. Now play the first 8 bars in your rhythm group. Your right hand (lead player) is tied up at the bar and you are bridging and trying to keep the tension. You are putting out a steady background that isn't smeared but sculpted. One can listen to it for hours and discover new details. The bass and guitar are entirely different instruments (if you have some electronic/MIDI setup, you can let the electronics do the job via the sound patches, but the art of the deal is to do it with the phrasing, and then it works on an accordion unplugged).

Don't bother with the right hand. You first want to get to the state where you can record the left hand alone, and when playing the tape to someone, have them say "oh wow, that is good". And you need to be very careful when eventually adding the right hand not to lose everything that you got to be good with the left hand. Try to listen in to the left hand for details while playing.

Essentially, it is the first challenge of an accordion player in reverse: as a beginner you struggle not to ruin what your right hand is doing when adding the left hand. But it is far too easy to ignore the problem in the other direction. And the "red hot button" advice only gets you so far since bass and chord buttons have different temperatures and the buttons have different air needs and different response and you use them to model different functional groups in a combo.

Once your play is at the level where people will stand and listen for two hours on end, you indeed need a larger repertoire. Can you put enough variety in your current repertoire that they do stick around? Find unique bass phrases or registrations or embellishments for some of them that would make them actually recognize when things repeat after a few hours? Get to the point where people recognize pieces by their sound rather than by their melody?

It's a beef I have with being in an accordion ensemble: it makes it too easy to forget how many instruments an accordion can and should be at the same time.

When I was taking lessons, a typical reaction of my teacher when I brought in something that I thought I had down pretty well was "you can do this much better", sometimes without even bothering to get more explicit. Not that she was wrong. When you work out some wrinkles, you don't really focus on how much of a rough sketch the rest may look.

You know why I say I haven't gotten 10 minutes of repertoire? Because I keep reworking on the same old things. The more I play them, they worse they get. Or rather: the more I play them, they worse they were.

I'll do a lot of presuming in the following, it may or may not apply. Take a good piece from your repertoire, preferably a slower one for the start. Put the melody hand away. Play just the left hand. This is your bass group. You have a picked acoustic bass. You have a rhythm guitar or a banjo (depends on your registers). Possibly a bass drum and snare. Now play the first 8 bars in your rhythm group. Your right hand (lead player) is tied up at the bar and you are bridging and trying to keep the tension. You are putting out a steady background that isn't smeared but sculpted. One can listen to it for hours and discover new details. The bass and guitar are entirely different instruments (if you have some electronic/MIDI setup, you can let the electronics do the job via the sound patches, but the art of the deal is to do it with the phrasing, and then it works on an accordion unplugged).

Don't bother with the right hand. You first want to get to the state where you can record the left hand alone, and when playing the tape to someone, have them say "oh wow, that is good". And you need to be very careful when eventually adding the right hand not to lose everything that you got to be good with the left hand. Try to listen in to the left hand for details while playing.

Essentially, it is the first challenge of an accordion player in reverse: as a beginner you struggle not to ruin what your right hand is doing when adding the left hand. But it is far too easy to ignore the problem in the other direction. And the "red hot button" advice only gets you so far since bass and chord buttons have different temperatures and the buttons have different air needs and different response and you use them to model different functional groups in a combo.

Once your play is at the level where people will stand and listen for two hours on end, you indeed need a larger repertoire. Can you put enough variety in your current repertoire that they do stick around? Find unique bass phrases or registrations or embellishments for some of them that would make them actually recognize when things repeat after a few hours? Get to the point where people recognize pieces by their sound rather than by their melody?

It's a beef I have with being in an accordion ensemble: it makes it too easy to forget how many instruments an accordion can and should be at the same time.

When I was taking lessons, a typical reaction of my teacher when I brought in something that I thought I had down pretty well was "you can do this much better", sometimes without even bothering to get more explicit. Not that she was wrong. When you work out some wrinkles, you don't really focus on how much of a rough sketch the rest may look.
Good advice, Dak, thanks. Interesting point about the bass playing. I find that once I have a tune memorized and play it a lot, I can work these kind of things in.

So, up to 25 tunes, more or less. 15 to go. I played 3 at an open mic yesterday. I’m glad I had them memorized. First time I tried the open mic. It was primarily “old guys with guitars” (ranging from pretty ok to really good) so I was the change. I was first up, and pretty nervous but persevered without warm up. I need to do more of these. I need to sing.

This is an influential thread.

Because of reading it, I'm attempting to dredge up a couple more I once arranged by ear and played from memory and also trying to cut loose from the sheet music to the Galli-rini arrangement of "Waiting On the Robert E. Lee" and commit it to memory.

It may turn out sounding more like "Waiting On the Titanic."

Ok, finally I’ve narrowed my songs down to about 44. These are the ones I’m going with. Big relief. I’ve got a few left I still need to find a good version of, or arrange myself. Some I’m not crazy about, but I need to move along. Finalize arrangements by the end of March. Memorize in April. Continue and organize materials in May - card, poster, website, YouTube, etc.

In comparison, I am up to 2 tunes. :cool:
On a good day, I am happy if can do one... LOL

Tom, the closer one gets to a goal, the harder it will get. This is where maintenance comes in, and that takes time. If anything, split things in to 2 practice sessions, review only and the work on new pieces session. Divide and conquer! :)

Tom, the closer one gets to a goal, the harder it will get. This is where maintenance comes in, and that takes time. If anything, split things in to 2 practice sessions, review only and the work on new pieces session. Divide and conquer! :)
Good advice as usual, thanks Jerry!

You’re right, things get harder, but mainly because the songs I want to add in new I’ve never played and I want to add more complex ones. The two practice sessions idea is great. And I have my songs divided into actually 3 categories - making it easier to organize the practice session. Those that I can play from memory, those that I have arranged and can play ok from the sheet, and those I have yet to arrange and/or can not play yet even from the sheet.

Since I zoom twice a week with Gary for about 2 hours each time, I can go through the “maintenance” tunes, each once through pretty ok. The others are just plain work, and I will be glad to be done arranging and working, and into “just playing.”

Plus the fact that I am taking an online class which requires hours of work too makes it even more exciting….. So, when everyone comes back for the summer and asks, What did you do all winter? I can say Learned accordion songs and chopped wood, and any questions regarding my sanity will be confirmed.

Ok, back to Paved Paradise and Put up a Parking Lot. Ever noticed how many notes are on off beats? See ya!

Because of reading it, I'm attempting to dredge up a couple more I once arranged by ear and played from memory and also trying to cut loose from the sheet music to the Galli-rini arrangement of "Waiting On the Robert E. Lee" and commit it to memory.
Tom is an inspirational kind of guy. When I grow up, I want to be just like him! :D

I'm on three now! Tom is right that it gets easier the more I learn. I'm also finding that when I learn a tune on one instrument then I can play it on others! e.g. I learned a tune on treble recorder then played it straight off on mandocello... so thanks for the inspiration Tom!

Tom is an inspirational kind of guy. When I grow up, I want to be just like him! :D
Thanks Jerry! Maybe I’m good at posting, but if I had 1/100th of your skill at playing or producing, I would consider myself a prodigy! We gotta do another song, maybe in June?

I'm on three now! Tom is right that it gets easier the more I learn. I'm also finding that when I learn a tune on one instrument then I can play it on others! e.g. I learned a tune on treble recorder then played it straight off on mandocello... so thanks for the inspiration Tom!
Thanks Rosie! Good to hear! I suppose it’s because you have the tune in your head, and the experience to transfer it to your instrument(s). Btw, your journey is inspiring too, please keep it coming!

It may turn out sounding more like "Waiting On the Titanic."
Thanks Noel! How’s it going?

Thanks Jerry! Maybe I’m good at posting, but if I had 1/100th of your skill at playing or producing, I would consider myself a prodigy! We gotta do another song, maybe in June?
June is likely good, I have a planned trip to Canaan on Mother’s Day weekend in May, I hope that gets me a little video fodder for my YouTube channel. After that if you want to choose a song and date, let me know.

Just to just had another comment, I didn’t see it mentioned above maybe it was, for me as a pianist. Most people only listen for about 30 minutes and move on so you actually can have as short as a one hour one and a half hour repertoire and then just repeat it while you’re learning new things,

And yeah, I sometimes get bored playing the same songs every night after night after night when I did it I don’t really do that anymore. I would always try to explore the song in a different different way every night rather than memorize it that kept it exciting for me and exciting. Sometimes I mean frightening ha ha.

I really appreciate the comments above about the left hand. That was a good advice read

Back