• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

1953 120 Bass Philharmonic accordion, 12-2 switches

Whoopitup

Reaction score
Hello - I am trying gain some information and possibly value on this accordion. It was my mother's, purchased new in 1953, in a hard case with straps. I have original receipt and serial no. on the receipt. She played it within the past year for all of us at a gathering. It is in great condition as far as I can tell. Unfortunately I did not take pictures of it but I can. Just curious about it. The original purchase price in 1953 was $600 from Chicago Accordion Center on Damen Avenue.

Hello - I am trying gain some information and possibly value on this accordion.
Hi WIU 🙂
I'm sure you'll appreciate trying to advise on an accordion without any pictures is a bit like advising on a car without pictures 🙂
So, we'd love some pictures!😄

I have a ring… it’s round and looks great! I’ll tell you exactly what your accordion is worth if you can tell me what my ring is worth… lol

Kidding aside, even with external pics the estimated of it’s value will be ballpark at best, you need someone experienced to see the condition of the inside of the accordion and test it for a more accurate evaluation. It may look good, sold good to amateur ears yet still may have issues where repair costs could be from hundreds to thousands of dollars. :)

WIU,
Thanks for the pictures.
Nice looking accordion.
It was quite expensive in its day: equal to about seven thousand dollars in today's money.
Sorry I can't tell you much about it.
But, the pictures may prod someone's memory, here.🙂

WIU,
Thanks for the pictures.
Nice looking accordion.
It was quite expensive in its day: equal to about seven thousand dollars in today's money.
Sorry I can't tell you much about it.
But, the pictures may prod someone's memory, here.🙂
Thank you. Hoping there is some interest in the chicago area We loved hearing mom play it

Thank you. Hoping there is some interest in the chicago area We loved hearing mom play it
Hi again,
It seems the Philharmonic line had some quality, as used models ( though newer than yours) fetch prices as high as one or two thousand dollars .
Also, this old thread (see below) suggests a link with the brand Dallapé ( very classy):🙂
I must say that the general appearance does remind me of the overall Dallapé look of the day.🙂
And here:

Last edited:
Hi again,
It seems the Philharmonic line had some quality, as used models ( though newer than yours) fetch prices as high as one or two thousand dollars .
Also, this old thread (see below) suggests a link with the brand Dallapé ( very classy):🙂
I must say that the general appearance does remind me of the overall Dallapé look of the day.🙂
And here:
I have been doing some research - in it's day my grandparents bought this for my mom for her 15th birthday. at $600 that was a lot of money for my steel worker grandpa. The keys are beautiful. I am really hoping to find some interest in Chicago area. I do also believe it is a Dallape. Philharmonic was top of the line back then. Thank you for looking. WIll see what comes of this. There are several accordion clubs in chicagoland and NW Indiana area.

sorry, but i disagree

there is nothing i can recall about Dallape ever building accordions
for private labels in the USA.. Dallape was marketed directly into
the USA under it's own family brand name and competed in the
professional strata of the market, not in the bargain segment at all

however, we all know that Vercelli - italy was also a hub of accordion
activity, Co-operativa Fisharmonica, Ranco, Royal, and others.. several
of whom grew out of the Dallape training program in terms of trained
personnel who moved to the Vercelli area to work or set up accordion shops.

In particular, Royal built those look-alike wide shift aluminum grill accordions
under private brands like Imperial for a long time

Guerrini also, for a very short time, built a Dallape look-alike with the wide shifts

there are also a lot of wannabe Excelsior look-alikes out there that have no connection
whatsoever to the famous brand.. Copying the look of iconic, expensive
brands was quite common, so assuming an origin for any off-brand accordion
just because it LOOKS like something else can be speculated upon, but should NEVER
be stated as fact

Philharmonic was a nice accordion brand that never achieved top tier status.
Generally well built and good quality, but priced for the mid-market..

this specific accordion is quite old.. it has one lifted key, most likely
from a leather valve falling off it's cotton backing. More are likely
as dry and in need of service. Do not be alarmed if more fall off as the
accordion is played. i suggest you pop the grill off and find the loose
one before it gets jammed into something way down under the keys

be glad it is still in the family and has a nice history

sorry, but i disagree

there is nothing i can recall about Dallape ever building accordions
for private labels in the USA.. Dallape was marketed directly into
the USA under it's own family brand name and competed in the
professional strata of the market, not in the bargain segment at all

however, we all know that Vercelli - italy was also a hub of accordion
activity, Co-operativa Fisharmonica, Ranco, Royal, and others.. several
of whom grew out of the Dallape training program in terms of trained
personnel who moved to the Vercelli area to work or set up accordion shops.

In particular, Royal built those look-alike wide shift aluminum grill accordions
under private brands like Imperial for a long time

Guerrini also, for a very short time, built a Dallape look-alike with the wide shifts

there are also a lot of wannabe Excelsior look-alikes out there that have no connection
whatsoever to the famous brand.. Copying the look of iconic, expensive
brands was quite common, so assuming an origin for any off-brand accordion
just because it LOOKS like something else can be speculated upon, but should NEVER
be stated as fact

Philharmonic was a nice accordion brand that never achieved top tier status.
Generally well built and good quality, but priced for the mid-market..

this specific accordion is quite old.. it has one lifted key, most likely
from a leather valve falling off it's cotton backing. More are likely
as dry and in need of service. Do not be alarmed if more fall off as the
accordion is played. i suggest you pop the grill off and find the loose
one before it gets jammed into something way down under the keys

be glad it is still in the family and has a nice history
Just read some previous info on the site. Happy it is in the family also - however, noone interested in playing it. There are several accordion clubs here in chicago area so looking in to options. Thanks for the reply

Welcome Whoopi!

Have you tried taking it over to Romagnoli?

Interestingly enough, they are having a “squeeze in” this Saturday (March 2) You could bring your accordion in for a look see, maybe meet someone who wants to buy it.

Oh my, their “accordion of the week” is a vintage dual cassotto Piatanesi, $2000, with a wide grill like yours, though no relation. How nice is that?

Welcome Whoopi!

Have you tried taking it over to Romagnoli?

Interestingly enough, they are having a “squeeze in” this Saturday (March 2) You could bring your accordion in for a look see, maybe meet someone who wants to buy it.

Oh my, their “accordion of the week” is a vintage dual cassotto Piatanesi, $2000, with a wide grill like yours, though no relation. How nice is that?
Yes I just reached out to them yesterday. Interesting on the squeeze. Will see what they have to say it is in great condition.

Reactions: Tom
Back