• We're having a little contest throughout February. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Wireless audio upgrade

Keymn

Reaction score
Going back to wireless audio and Bluetooth:
It seems the 5.8ghz units are the ones to go with for future purchases. I linked below a pretty good video to compare units. Seems the Xvive is more Sensitive to drop-outs. Maybe near WiFi router. I stopped using the WidiMaster at the outside gig (Which a router within 10 feet). Had a couple dropouts. As far as MiDIJet no dropouts but it has 30 channels and I stay away from the lower channels. In fact, most success was channel 30, which I am using for years.

As far as the line 6 g10 at the outside gig, had a couple microsecond dropouts. But solved easily by plugging into base unit for 30 seconds to auto lock a new channel.
Inside the restaurant when I used widimaster, g10 worked perfect. No router in area.

So trying not to blame certain brands, maybe move forward and eventually get into the 5.8Ghz Environment.

jozz

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Yes, basically, in default settings when we use 2 cables, we have to "settle" to what Roland believes is the propep way to set our instruments in a L/R image. We are free to move things around a nice amount, but a 100% left and 100% right is not quite possible.

When we use 1 cable a MONO image plays through either the right or the left.
right - thanks for clearing that up

So panning the 'Treble/bass balance' parameter will not work 100%? I saw it goes from -64 to +63, in either setting it appeared rather inaudible for me, but there is still some bleed even then? Need to investigate this further...

jozz

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Going back to wireless audio and Bluetooth:
It seems the 5.8ghz units are the ones to go with for future purchases. I linked below a pretty good video to compare units. Seems the Xvive is more Sensitive to drop-outs. Maybe near WiFi router. I stopped using the WidiMaster at the outside gig (Which a router within 10 feet). Had a couple dropouts. As far as MiDIJet no dropouts but it has 30 channels and I stay away from the lower channels. In fact, most success was channel 30, which I am using for years.

As far as the line 6 g10 at the outside gig, had a couple microsecond dropouts. But solved easily by plugging into base unit for 30 seconds to auto lock a new channel.
Inside the restaurant when I used widimaster, g10 worked perfect. No router in area.

So trying not to blame certain brands, maybe move forward and eventually get into the 5.8Ghz Environment.

I use 5.8ghz exclusively but range is more limited compared to 2.4 band.

Suits me just fine for normal stage use. Might have problems strolling around a big restaurant.

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I still use the G10 occasionally, to let me walk around with the accordina (about 1kg, that I can still carry...) on stage. It works fine on stage but it needs to be far enough away from too many other wireless devices. Once I was playing in a small church (large chapel) and during rehearsal I could walk along the isle all the way back and the G10 kept the connection flawlessly. During the concert I had to stay at the front or the signal would cut out. Too many people with phones in the audience. So that is a drawback of having wireless on the same frequencies as other devices... But at least on a stage I can walk around and not trip over a cable...

Keymn

Reaction score
I still use the G10 occasionally, to let me walk around with the accordina (about 1kg, that I can still carry...) on stage. It works fine on stage but it needs to be far enough away from too many other wireless devices. Once I was playing in a small church (large chapel) and during rehearsal I could walk along the isle all the way back and the G10 kept the connection flawlessly. During the concert I had to stay at the front or the signal would cut out. Too many people with phones in the audience. So that is a drawback of having wireless on the same frequencies as other devices... But at least on a stage I can walk around and not trip over a cable...
I am 20 feet from a wifi router at my present gig...when It acts up, the base flashes a couple times...think it recognizes the interference? But if this happens, I plug it into the base get it to locate a new channel...not a big problem...great you are aware of these happenings to wireless systems.
I go out maybe 30+ feet and do a birthday’s, works without a cutout...g10 and MiDIJet are my go to wireless...

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am 20 feet from a wifi router at my present gig...when It acts up, the base flashes a couple times...think it recognizes the interference? But if this happens, I plug it into the base get it to locate a new channel...not a big problem...great you are aware of these happenings to wireless systems.
I go out maybe 30+ feet and do a birthday’s, works without a cutout...g10 and MiDIJet are my go to wireless...
I was trying to also go out about 30 feet, but in a packed chapel by the time I was at maybe 15 feet there must have been at least 20 or so phones with bluetooth enabled and closer to the base than I was, and maybe 10 activity trackers with bluetooth as well... The number of devices with bluetooth is staggering, and they all clog up the wifi bands on all channels...

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score

So panning the 'Treble/bass balance' parameter will not work 100%? I saw it goes from -64 to +63, in either setting it appeared rather inaudible for me, but there is still some bleed even then? Need to investigate this further...
Right... but in conjunction with the WIDE setting comes closest (maybe like 90% perhaps?)... so much so that in post if you want an accordion that sounds real, you will actually reduce the pan settings and mix it back wards some... but at least the choice choice is now yours, not Roland's interpretation of what it should be.

Keymn

Reaction score

Turn off effects/have to go into the sound settings - set pan bass left/ pan right your other sound - you should not get bleed. Here is a picture on my daw, channel 2 no bleed...channel 3 is beat Buddy drum pedal...channel 1 is accordion guitar sound...

Last edited:

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On the 8X you need the latest firmware update, and then you can do this:

Looks like 100% separation to me. :)
Note: I did not make this video.

Keymn

Reaction score
On the 8X you need the latest firmware update, and then you can do this:

Looks like 100% separation to me. :)
Note: I did not make this video.
Latest firmware FR8x?...did this with the FR4x a couple years ago so maybe it was already upgraded?...a good thing to to do if using a drum machine...this way you can run the treble side to a different effects loop then the left hand. Here is a recording with drum machine...treble running through it’s own effects Loop...Thought I had this in another thread a few years ago?

Keymn

Reaction score
Going back to wireless audio. This video (although done By the manufacture) shows some interesting info at the 2 minute mark. Talks about the 2 antennas and to be mounted on floor, no closer then 10 feet from a WiFi router. which the latter maybe my problem...
Sorry for getting so lengthy but I love messing with technology...

jozz

Prolific poster
Reaction score
I researched this a lot before I landed on my current 5.8 system.

The 2.4 range is in use everywhere. Not only the unit has to have enough transmission power to cut through any nearby other transmitters, it also needs to compete with all other devices present, in a wide circle.

Furthermore, most channels in the 2.4 overlap eachother. This is where the problems come from. All devices have dropouts all the time, but for live audio transmission that is instant issue.

Only the best systems handle that adequately.

In some countries the communication networks will start to crowd the 5ghz band as well, interfering with a 5ghz system like mine. Luckily, the next iteration of cellphone networks in the Netherlands, will stay away from the 5ghz.

Keymn

Reaction score
I researched this a lot before I landed on my current 5.8 system.

The 2.4 range is in use everywhere. Not only the unit has to have enough transmission power to cut through any nearby other transmitters, it also needs to compete with all other devices present, in a wide circle.

Furthermore, most channels in the 2.4 overlap eachother. This is where the problems come from. All devices have dropouts all the time, but for live audio transmission that is instant issue.

Only the best systems handle that adequately.

In some countries the communication networks will start to crowd the 5ghz band as well, interfering with a 5ghz system like mine. Luckily, the next iteration of cellphone networks in the Netherlands, will stay away from the 5ghz.
Thanks for the info...i am sure line 6 is going to get into 5.8ghz. Noticed on the g10s has those 2 antennas, receiver better on the floor...so I am sure they are constantly researching for product improvement. I have it already and it has been good to me for several years...