• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Winter's Not Far Away

Walker

Reaction score
Tom, what fine roads you have in Wisconsin. I'd sure like to drive on them. As for your silky smooth North American polka music, it's lovely and fresh, like an alpine meadow. I don't think I could manage to play one of those chunky chemnitzer concertinas though. I'm all about the piano accordion, just like you.

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tom, what fine roads you have in Wisconsin. I'd sure like to drive on them. As for your silky smooth North American polka music, it's lovely and fresh, like an alpine meadow. I don't think I could manage to play one of those chunky chemnitzer concertinas though. I'm all about the piano accordion, just like you.
Thanks Stewart! Yeah, that Dutchman style is cool and distinctive. I tried the Chemnitzer but didn't really take to it. I sold it to a guy who also gave me two more pianos in exchange (revenge?) (think I mentioned that).

craigd

Reaction score
I respect your opinion @Ffingers.

However, to me Jimmy Shand was, without question, the greatest Scottish accordionist of all time. He was genre defining, had a chronometric tempo and composed some wonderful music (I particularly like the tune Welcome Christmas Morning). He was a serious musician - not a showman or entertainer, and his music had as much groove as any Jazz legend. He even created one of the greatest accordion designs for Scottish dance music - the Shand Morino.
Hey Walker, I think Phil Cunningham would give Shand a run for his money. What do you think of him?

Walker

Reaction score
I took a few photos on the phone camera while going for a short walk this afternoon. The sun is low in the sky these days and sets quite early now. I also found it very amusing watching a bevy of 20 or more pheasants, trundling their way back to the woodland, on foot, after a busy day doing whatever it is that pheasants do. Autumn is just wonderful.20221127_153018.jpg