• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

WIDI Master

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, this is a Bluetooth MIDI device, not audio. By the way, they are coming with other innovative Bluetooth MIDI devices. https://www.cme-pro.com/beyond-bluetooth-midi-controllers-the-widi-family/

I asked them to see if they would build a midi foot controller designed specifically for keyboard players (digital accordion players) as all the midi foot controllers out there are really geared for guitar players. They said their WIDI Ped3 will have some logic to it that will enable the user to send pc messages and so forth. Well, I dont think it will be powerful enough.... So voice your opinion. I am talking to a software company in Poland for a software solution. They are interested it what I have to say but they are too busy with other projects now.

torch said:
No, this is a Bluetooth MIDI device, not audio.
Thank you for the correction - perhaps if I had been awake I would have seen my stupid mistake before posting.... :blush:

TW said:
Does this seem likely to allow the use of bluetooth headphones with a Roland Accordion?

No this is wireless MIDI, not wireless sound output.  It's been proven already that low end bluetooth audio has too much lag to be of practical value for this scenario.

I started this thread, and now that I have received my WIDI Masters by CME Audio, I thought I would post a report; Right out of the box the Widi Master paired automatically with my Quicco Sound mi.1 Bluetooth MIDI transmitter plugged into the Roland FR4x and started working very well. I didn't notice any latency. I think it's a very inexpensive, elegant, and effective way to connect your accordion or for that matter any other MIDI controller with a MIDI din out (as long as it powers the WM) to any other MIDI devices with a MIDI din out(for power) and MIDI din in - all wireless without involving a PC or IOS device. The beauty of the Widi Master is that not only will it work with other brand Bluetooth midi devices, but it will also connect legacy midi devices together without any additional device such as PC or iPad. A very minimal setup. The mi.1 is so small that it is always plugged into my Roland digital accordions in and out of the case. Years ago, someone on the Roland accordion forum installed a WIDI x8 wireless midi system by CME Audio inside his FR7 and made the schematics available. Also, a very talented forum member here did all types of neat modifications to his Roland accordion. I don't have the skill, and oce I hired a technician to undo some major proprietary features in my reedless accordion. The 9 pin serial port was done away with, small rechargeable batteries installed in the reedless, and a MIDI jack. Now, I can use the WIDI Master to make the reedless a totally wireless midi system and connect to just about any other module/arranger once again without the need for a PC or iPad. Just now, I fired up the Korg Microkey Bluetooth MIDi keyboard controller. It paired with the Widi Master on my Yamaha module right away and began to play. How cool is that?

...Question is, will this receive another widi master from accordion as well as the Blueboard simultaneously? Then the test next weekend on the gig...not concercerned about distance as with today’s pandemic do not stroll off stage. And it does not make sense having to stroll with midi connected anyway as the FR4x does a job on it’s own...
For now, the answer is no though Ble5 does support it and CME Pro's subsequent models will support it. You can read more in detail here https://www.cme-pro.com/midi-cable-widi-master/. In the meantime, you can use a midi merge box if you really need to but soon it will get messy with a little too many cables. The Ik Multimedia Blueboard is really meant be for IOS device with very limited functions and physical switches. There are some other midi foot controllers out there that will have a lot more flexible functions (For instance, one physical switch will have multiple functions depending on how you trigger it; tap, double tap, long tap, and etc) that can be used to control the BK7m, Ketron arrangers (using SysEx messages), Korg, and etc. In fact, some of these midi foot controllers can be used to control the FR4x and FR8x via SysEx messages so that you can bend notes, turn on/off drums, call up registers, and whatever else the accordions are capable of doing. No need to use the expensive and bulky Roland midi foot controller. By the way, I wholeheartedly agree with you that you don't need to stroll much with midi especially when you play a self-contained accordion like the Roland V accordions with built-in speakers.

Last edited:
It seems to me that you are not yet clear about the Widi Master. Then again, it is understandable as the Widi Master is the first of its kind and one of a kind in the world. We never had anything like it before. For that matter, anything that CME Pro makes seems to be the first and one of a kind. The WIDI X8 (15 years ago). I still have mine. World's first duplex wireless midi system with a range of more than 250 feet without an external antenna that can also serve as a USB midi interface. Two units were sold for $220. The WIDI Bud, world's first and only USB Bluetooth MIDI receiver, WIDI-Xu(world's first USB midi dongle), and the very popular X-Key Air. Now the Widi Master and other new models that will follow. I like supporting companies like CME-Pro which invents useful tools for musicians at low price points.

I don't know what your user case may be, but once you get it, you'll have a better idea. One example, say your mi.1 is plugged into the Fr4x and you want to drive the BK7m as an arranger or just as a sound module. There's is no way the mi.1 can communicate directly with the BK7m unless you use a PC, or IOS. One WIDI Master plugged in the BK7m will take care of it.

I received 2 sets of WIDI Master two weeks ago, but due to a shoulder injury (read: no accordion), I didn't do anything until last night.

My FR-7b and BK-7m are very happy. :) Now I'm thinking of moving the WIDI to inside the accordion, with an external mini-switch to turn it off if needed (the MIDI-in "sub adapter" is not really needed. I just don't want to lose it).

But I also found out that the MIDI port on my FR-1xb didn't talk, even via a MIDI cable. :confused: Not sure what's going on!

A big thank-you to Torch who brought the WIDI Master to my attention.

FR7bMIDIMaster.jpg

Last edited:
>> But I also found out that the MIDI port on my FR-1xb didn't talk, even via a MIDI cable. Not sure what's going on!

Update: It was a loose connector. I opened up the FR-1xb to inspect, didn't see anything unusual. I then re-seated all internal connectors accessible. The MIDI port came back to life.

Now my FR-1xb can talk to the BK-7m via WIDI Master too :cool:

Pentraprism, your fR7 sure looks nice with onboard midi in and out and the WIDI Master!

I would like someone to test if they have a Roland or Behringer pedal. One WM in accordion and other in pedal. See if it controls accordion with midi cc# or pc#.
Been working with Airturn Bt200s-6 pedal which has Bluetooth built in. Unable to send pc# to my Korg arranger direct. Have to run it through the Midiflow app On iPad with no modifier. Will further update. Support has been great!
The Irig Blueboard direct connects but only sends note information. For now bridging through iPad.
Now you are talking. The Blutooth pedal you were using is really the "wrong" tool for what you are trying to do. There's a ton of info and support for the FCB1010. I suggest that you look into the uNo mod chip for it. It makes programming the FCB1010 so much easier. I still have mine with the uNo chip that I installed(If I can do it, anyone else can do it). If I remember correctly a "preset" (a pedal button in a bank) can contain 5 PC messages and 1 or 2 CC messages.

(Trick) question: What is the difference between the FR-7b in my post above and the one below in this post?

FR7b_External.jpg

Answer: The one in this post has "built-in" bluetooth MIDI:

FR7b_Internal.jpg

Note: the black wire (taped down) at the tail of the MIDI plug is the 5 V line to the MIDI port. It's there just in case I ever need to add an external toggle switch to turn the internal MIDI on/off.

Last edited:
That's really cool! How nice that your FR7b can send and receive midi directly from and to IOS, Mac, Android, and Windows (with a bridge app)!

Now you are talking. The Blutooth pedal you were using is really the "wrong" tool for what you are trying to do. There's a ton of info and support for the FCB1010. I suggest that you look into the uNo mod chip for it. It makes programming the FCB1010 so much easier. I still have mine with the uNo chip that I installed(If I can do it, anyone else can do it). If I remember correctly a "preset" (a pedal button in a bank) can contain 5 PC messages and 1 or 2 CC messages.
I did get Airturn bt200s to connect direct To WM to control Korg arranger..programming this pedal is straight forward...with the app enter pc# and channel For each button in mode 7-midi. I have been using Bluetooth pedals in all my applications for awhile. Have the Irig Blueboard controlling the Bk-7m, but need to use MidiFlow to map since each button can not be programmed individual within a bank. WM responds quicker then the ud-bt01 Yamaha. Unfortunately, I have to use the midi Merger box with WM. Think next upgrade may merge?
I do not like the buttons on the Airturn, Why I use irig Blueboard. It is Like your Behringer pedal, easier on the feet.

That's really cool! How nice that your FR7b can send and receive midi directly from and to IOS, Mac, Android, and Windows (with a bridge app)!

Thanks, Torch. But currently the FR-7b can't receive MIDI. I haven't found any excuse to enable it to do so. If that needs to be done in the future, I'll just added another plug for MIDI-in inside the FR-7b.

On another note, there is no reason why the little brother FR-1xb can't have the same treatment. So here it goes:

FR-1xb_Ext.jpg

Inside:

FR-1xb_Int.jpg

Last edited:
How about that for a $30 upgrade! Your Fr1xb is always ready for wireless midi. I am looking forward to MidiJack and MIDI U_host by CME Pro.

Went back to MiDIJet For now. Saw more battery usage...need to switch off at will if have to disconnect from accordion midi...
Just using one WM to control Arranger from songbookPlus. Much better response from iPad Then Yamaha ud-bt01. Using it with midi merger to get the extra midi port for accordion. There will be an upgrade that you can merge other WM...but until then have to wait...think will be setup with app?
With Another Bluetooth pedal connected to my iPad, sometimes forgot to turn on WM last because it tries to connect to the Blueboard. Have to get Blueboard connected first to iPad which I use it for page turning, etc. on SongbookPlus.
They are great support for this product and using it out of the box with no upgrade.
Also it works great with The Airturn Bt200s/6 Blueboard pedalm(built in BLE), but it takes about 3 power on/off cycles Of pedal to connect. Airturn just received a WM to test.
Want to see more keyboards and accordions with BLE built in from factory. Like Roland GoKeys. Even with the Older bluetooth 4.3, connects quite nice.
happy playing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back