• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

why refrain from talking about ergonomics

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewjohnsson40

Reaction score
I have had lessons with two different teacher the last year.
Only one of them talked about how to actually hold my accordion and how to sit. Why is it that some teacher would refrain from talking about ergonomics?
The one who did not talk about ergonomics just asked me to play the accordion. I tried to tell him that I needed more help with how to sit and hold the accordion but he didn't understand what I needed help with.
He plays the chromatic button accordion and I play the piano accordion. It should not matter I think. Perhaps chromatic button accordion doesn't requiere someone to focus on how to hold the accordion. It doesn't happen naturally on the piano accordion.
Is it problematic to have a teacher who plays the chromatic button accordion if you are a piano player?
I mean, RH technique is something he cannot teach but my piano teacher should focus on that...or perhaps I should have a teacher who plays the piano accordion as RH technique is not exactly like it is when you play the piano?
The teacher who talked about ergonomics was a piano player and playes the piano accordion.
So talking about ergonomics is unneccasary for the chromatic button accordion?
On the other hand some singing teachers also refrain from talking about fundamentals. THey just ask you to inhale and sing even if singing requiere a lot of talking about the fundamentals as people can get bad habits.

What do you think is the issue here?

Even given my amateur player status, I know enough to realize that posture, keyboard position, arm position, strap adjustment, hand position, etc., are all very important to establish early in order to avoid developing habits that may be very difficult to re-learn later.

But I’m not quite sure I follow all the relationships here: it sounds like you are saying that you are taking piano accordion lessons from a chromatic button accordion instructor who does not play the piano accordion. Is that correct? ?. If so, I think it is safe to say that you definitely need to find a teacher who knows how to play the instrument you want to learn! ?

Even given my amateur player status, I know enough to realize that posture, keyboard position, arm position, strap adjustment, hand position, etc., are all very important to establish early in order to avoid developing habits that may be very difficult to re-learn later.

But I’m not quite sure I follow all the relationships here: it sounds like you are saying that you are taking piano accordion lessons from a chromatic button accordion instructor who does not play the piano accordion. Is that correct? ?. If so, I think it is safe to say that you definitely need to find a teacher who knows how to play the instrument you want to learn! ?
so you need to focus more on ergonomics when playing the piano accordion?
Chromatic button accordions are easier to play? Everything is much easier and therefore you need to focus less on technique and more on just playing? Or is it just that some teachers think that you automatically know the right technique?
I mean, there are accordionists who are what they call self-taugh and perhaps some teacher think that this is how you learn technique. Most of the self-taught musicians had help from other people so I don't see how the myth about being self-taught is correct. ALso, many of them have bad habits.
I did have a teacher before who played the PA but I did not really like his method at all.
I have been taking lessons from a person who plays the CBA as I never wanted to focus on RH. The RH technique is what you learn at a piano lessons.

Last edited:
I'd love to know the correct right hand position for the cba

I'd love to know the correct right hand position for the cba
they use a very strange one, I think. It's looks a bit strange to me sometimes. How they play sixths and thirds look a bit strange.Too little use of the thumb. How can you even play like that? It's a very "strange" system. But then again I am not use to the style of playing keyboard without a lot of use f the thumb, ie I don't the play the harpischord.
So I don't see why some people here on this forum can even think that the CBA is easier. It's just a another system

Henerikhank, you were right to ditch your piano accordion teacher. You didn’t have an affiliation with him/her, & from such a futile association you would have learned nothing.

A couple of years ago I had a virtuoso piano accordion teacher, it lasted just 3 weeks. Her credentials impeccable; ex examiner with the Royal College of Accordionist, performing, teaching & composing pieces for Charnwood Music together with her father who founded the Association
However, as a mature student I found her method of teaching stagnated. I needed someone to answer my questions & interact with me personally at my level. Instead I felt that her ‘every size fits all’ mentality did nothing for me.

Wind back the clock 40 years & contrast that to my positive experience with a qualified piano teacher who knew nothing about the accordion but willing & happy to teach me the rudiments of her knowledge. The College of Accordionist advised I take exams just to see if I was on the right track… which I did with success….

Henerikhank, go with your gut feeling, there are countless excellent videos on YouTube to help with your dilemma with ergonomics. As a mature individual you know your own needs best of all, do not be persuaded that you need a teacher which fits into a certain profile just because it is the ‘norm’ for others.

Good luck & best wishes with you playing/learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.