• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Who's who? of current Italian makers/factories and brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigd

Reaction score
I want one day to visit the fabled hilltop town I have heard so much about, especially from Ventura. I have some idea of the factories still operating and some of the brands associated with them, but it is uncertain and incomplete. I wonder if people would be interested in sharing what they know on this topic. Here's all I know with any degree of certainty so far:

Pigini: Pigini, Excelsior, (Titano?), ...

Bugari: Bugari, Zero Sette, Petosa, ...

Victoria: Victoria, ?

You might be disappointed about the "hilltop town" as only some smaller workshops are really still there. Larger factories are all in the valey, closer to Osimo. Pigini (which took over Excelsior over 20 years ago) is down there, Bugari / Zero Sette (together in one building) too, Beltuna, part of Victoria (and part is in town above their showroom)... Some you might know the name of no longer exist, like Borsini, Fisart/Vignoni (now owned by a French company and moved there)... the buildings are just old relics now... When you are in Castelfidardo you can stay in hotel Parco, which is what used to be the Crucianelli factory. There are some smaller outfits still in operation nearby: when you walk down the hill from the hotel you will see the signs towards these workshops... There are outfits you can never find because the names never corresponded to an accordion maker and were only brand names. Titano for instance had their accordions made by Victoria, and later by Pigini. There are also accordion makers that don't sell accordions under their own name. IMC for instance is an accordion builder who makes for instance some of the recent better Hohner models, Piermaria and other brands...
In short, it's a giant jigsaw puzzle to piece together which accordions are being made exactly where and by whom...

Thanks Paul. Beltuna is part of Victoria? Also, are Bugari and Zero Sette independent within the same building, or much the same manufacturer? Is Morbidoni still around?

I am not familiar with the area, but if you Google search 'Castelfidardo accordion' and click on 'Maps', it will give you an idea of where they are all located in relation to each other. That might give you an idea of where to visit. You have to zoom in to see them all.

Here are some of the names that I recognized, and there are more listed:
-Ottavianelli
-Brandoni
-Scandalli
-Fisitalia
-Brandoni
-Baffetti
-Fismen
-Beltuna
-Siwa & Figli
-Bugari
-Piatanesi
-Giustozzi
-Victoria
-Zero Sette
-Pigini
-Excelsior

I'm not sure of the status of them all, but I've seen a lot of these brands listed at accordion dealers.

If you go here and look for the Italian makers still making accordions Look for the sites marked ATTIVA for the Italian locations ---

Thanks Paul. Beltuna is part of Victoria? Also, are Bugari and Zero Sette independent within the same building, or much the same manufacturer? Is Morbidoni still around?
No Beltuna and Victoria are completely unrelated. Bugari and Zero Sette are essentially the same company, but have separate "lines" of instruments. At a fair (like Frankfurter Musikmesse) they tend to have a corner booth with Bugari on one side and Zero Sette "around the corner".
Morbidoni I don't know.

if you contact ahead of time:
Serenellini
via Brecce, 52 - 60025 Loreto (AN) Italy
tel. / fax (+39) 071 978172
email info@serenellini.com

FisItalia
Via Carso, 8
60022 Castelfidardo (AN) - Italy
Tel (+39) 071 7823666
Tel (+39) 071 7824392
Email: ciemme@fisitalia.com
Email: fisitalia@tiscali.it

i suggest email ahead with dates in country and i am sure you will
receive invitations to the Fisitalia and Serenellini factories,
and Yes stay at the Hotel Parco and don't forget to look through
the old Guest Books there

if you can catch up to Max, no doubt he will have some awesome instruments
(and other things too) to show you... get his advise for best places to Eat
(if he likes you he may just take you to a long leisurely Lunch by the Sea

if you like MIDI and electronics, or just want to bring back a couple Sennheiser mic Kits
then contact and visit MASTER

if course you will want to pick up a few sets of Straps

remember, the Italian summer holiday will begin on August 1st, with ferragosto itself
being celebrated on August 15th, and the final festivities ending on August 31st.
Around September 1, businesses go back to regularly scheduled hours and practices

and finally, watch for the Flea Market/Street Market times and days in CastleFidardo
and you can really find some great bargains

it is easier, if you buy a lot of stuff, or even if you just want to ship home your Laundry
(so your hands are free to carry Accordions)
to just pack and ship Via UPS a couple boxes home to yourself

have a great time !

ciao

Ventura

if you contact ahead of time:
Serenellini
via Brecce, 52 - 60025 Loreto (AN) Italy
tel. / fax (+39) 071 978172
email info@serenellini.com

FisItalia
Via Carso, 8
60022 Castelfidardo (AN) - Italy
Tel (+39) 071 7823666
Tel (+39) 071 7824392
Email: ciemme@fisitalia.com
Email: fisitalia@tiscali.it

i suggest email ahead with dates in country and i am sure you will
receive invitations to the Fisitalia and Serenellini factories,
and Yes stay at the Hotel Parco and don't forget to look through
the old Guest Books there

if you can catch up to Max, no doubt he will have some awesome instruments
(and other things too) to show you... get his advise for best places to Eat
(if he likes you he may just take you to a long leisurely Lunch by the Sea

if you like MIDI and electronics, or just want to bring back a couple Sennheiser mic Kits
then contact and visit MASTER

if course you will want to pick up a few sets of Straps

remember, the Italian summer holiday will begin on August 1st, with ferragosto itself
being celebrated on August 15th, and the final festivities ending on August 31st.
Around September 1, businesses go back to regularly scheduled hours and practices

and finally, watch for the Flea Market/Street Market times and days in CastleFidardo
and you can really find some great bargains

it is easier, if you buy a lot of stuff, or even if you just want to ship home your Laundry
(so your hands are free to carry Accordions)
to just pack and ship Via UPS a couple boxes home to yourself

have a great time !

ciao

Ventura
Thanks Ventura, you have once again sparked the romance of our accordions' birthplace for me. If I ever get there, I'll let them know who sent me!

Dont forget the accordion makers in stradella.Claudio Beltrami custom biilt my 96/34 Beltrami. I believe he learnt his trade at Fratelli Crosio. I have one of those also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back