• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Where can I get a back pad/ bellows protector?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Inflammo

Can I buy an fit one of these myself and if so where from? Or do I have to take to a dealer/retailer to have fitted (there's nothing near me in S Wales)?

unless you want something special the generic nylon ones (they serve me well) can be bought at several webshops

accordion revival has a small description on how to mount it yourself, it's just a matter of careful work and having the right size

Inflammo,

I play French accordions, which do not have bellows straps, or bellows protectors. For the life of me I don't understand why such items are necessary, as none of my French boxes has suffered any damage as a consequence of not having either. I have owned some French boxes in excess of 30 years without any bellows problems at all.

The accordion world is full of "must haves", that are simply the prerogative of the owner/player.

Bellows protectors have a nasty habit of causing the bellows to foul on them, and in some cases have even been identified as the actual cause of damage to the bellows.

Bellows straps are a completely unnecessary accessory, but will no doubt continue to be fitted to accordions because somebody thinks they are an absolute requirement.

Whether people consider the French accordion world is representative of the current global situation is not relevant.

Fact is France is still one of the major accordion playing nations in the world, and if they don't have bellows straps and protectors, then who am I to disagree with their logic on such matters?

I don't know about other styles of accordions, but because my Morino never had one, my belt buckle put some minor damage on the back of my bellows and there is some minor damage where the edges touched the corners... something that none of my other accordions have issues with. I plan to add one there but no drilling for me... ah, the advantages of industrial Velcro just become so obvious in cases like this. :)

maugein96 post_id=61591 time=1533164188 user_id=607 said:
Inflammo,

I play French accordions, which do not have bellows straps, or bellows protectors. For the life of me I dont understand why such items are necessary, as none of my French boxes has suffered any damage as a consequence of not having either. I have owned some French boxes in excess of 30 years without any bellows problems at all

I am a rather well endowed lady and its to protect my assets, not my box....believe me they do get in the way :)

Haha... The ONE time I every recorded myself singing was to the song "they're always in the way"... and yes, it was about the same subject... thank-you for reminding me of that very humorous moment in my life! :lol: :lol:

Inflammo post_id=61599 time=1533197737 user_id=3001 said:
maugein96 post_id=61591 time=1533164188 user_id=607 said:
Inflammo,

I play French accordions, which do not have bellows straps, or bellows protectors. For the life of me I dont understand why such items are necessary, as none of my French boxes has suffered any damage as a consequence of not having either. I have owned some French boxes in excess of 30 years without any bellows problems at all

I am a rather well endowed lady and its to protect my assets, not my box....believe me they do get in the way :)

Oh Well,

Trust me to make bold statements in the assumption that ones size fits all! Im rather famous on here for getting things wrong. Im glad I never made the usual suggestion that a picture is worth a thousand words.

As a 65 year old male with a figure like Santa Claus, I appear to be getting rather well endowed myself in that department, althought my ample midriff is the main bellows fouler in my case.

At the risk of being thrown off the forum, have you considered swing tuning?

Seems back pads can be had from eBay from US retailers. You could probably get them in the UK, but I dont know of any source. The type in this link is a cheap version and you need to fit press studs to the back of the accordion body. They would probably have small screws to facilitate that and these should be short enough so that you dont puncture the body of the accordion with a screw. It may also be possible to glue them on, providing you dont intend to remove the back pad very often. You may also have to fit the outer part of the press studs to the pad.

My first accordion was a Guerrini and had a back pad on it, but I never looked like Santa Claus then. It was attached to the accordion by press studs, but came as part of the accordion.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Acco...hash=item236acf9261:m:mO-2Y21nZvDwp9kesmFRaOg

The retailer, Liberty Bellows, is a well respected US accordion store, and should be able to advise you on what type best fits your accordion. They probably wont go into the tuning I mentioned, but it might be worth contacting them by e-mail.

<EMAIL email=info@libertybellows.com>info@libertybellows.com</EMAIL>

JerryPH post_id=61601 time=1533199437 user_id=1475 said:
Haha... The ONE time I every recorded myself singing was to the song theyre always in the way... and yes, it was about the same subject... thank-you for reminding me of that very humorous moment in my life! :lol: :lol:

Its not just for women. When its hot out, you play bare-chested and have a lot of chest hair... Ouch! comes to mind.
(I dont have any significant chest hair and dont play without at least a t-shirt on, so no problem for me.)

Inflammo post_id=61599 time=1533197737 user_id=3001 said:

Funny, your name made me assume that you were male! Im not massively well endowed but I also find it uncomfortable/dogdy to play without bellows protectors. My husband claims that he cant find a bellows pad that fits my Pigini so I have to take care to keep the accordion at just that safe distance....

However, to actually answer your question: http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Bellow_Protectors.html

debra post_id=61603 time=1533201489 user_id=605 said:
Its not just for women. When its hot out, you play bare-chested and have a lot of chest hair... Ouch! comes to mind.
(I dont have any significant chest hair and dont play without at least a t-shirt on, so no problem for me.)

Trust me, I know... I used to play seated with that huge Morino on my lap in my late teens...in leiderhosen! I had NO leg hair on my top left thigh for decades Between that and no hair on the area from left wrist to mid forearm... LOL

Playing accordion can be painful at times. :lol:

JerryPH post_id=61623 time=1533252661 user_id=1475 said:
debra post_id=61603 time=1533201489 user_id=605 said:

Trust me, I know... I used to play seated with that huge Morino on my lap in my late teens...in leiderhosen! I had NO leg hair on my top left thigh for decades Between that and no hair on the area from left wrist to mid forearm... LOL

Playing accordion can be painful at times. :lol:

Hi Jerry,

I have no hair on the top of my head, and have never owned a Morino. Cant figure that one out. :lol:

Back to the back pad/ bellows protector question.

I bought them from Liberty Bellows for my Cavagnalo, Roland FR-1Xb, and Roland FR-2b. It took some bravery, but was not too difficult to install them.

The Cavagnalo didnt have bellows straps either. So I added them too.

LINK_TEXT>.jpg

pentaprism post_id=61659 time=1533340987 user_id=107 said:
The Cavagnalo didnt have bellows straps either. So I added them too.

side question: what brand/type shoulder straps are those?

Have you considered making your own pad? I make all my own and its easy and you end up with a perfect fit and the desired dimensions. Plus, its a fun project.
The foam stiffener is the most important consideration. Too stiff and it tends to catch the bellows end (left) of the pad in the bellows fold when closing. Too soft and it distorts and folds up. I use a 1/4 (8mm) thick, white, closed cell foam. Dont use open cell foam, it wont hold up long. To tell the difference, blow thru it & closed cell wont. I typically use a pressed felt for the cover as it breathes and is comfortable to the touch (unlike the nylon fabrics). Thick fabrics are better than thin ones. Cut the foam to the desired size (completely covering the bellow is not desirable, better to determine the pinch zone for your personal size/playing style and cover only as much bellows as necessary), using the accordion as a pattern, cut fabric bigger all around and mark one fabric panel around the edge of the already cut foam (leave a little extra to accomodate the thickness of the foam or itll bunch up inside and require additional trimming) and stitch the panels together. Leave the bottom stitch line open. Trim excess fabric all around (or trim and overlock stitch if machine is available), close to stitch line, leaving the bottom unstitched and long (untrimmed). Turn the outside inside, insert the foam panel and tuck the two unstitched panel edges back into the cover and stitch them closed. I finish up by doing diamond pleating stitches at 45 degrees to the square of the back pad, spaced about 2 (50mm) apart. This adds a cool look and keeps the foam in place. Contrasting thread color is cool, too.
Snaps require a tool to install. Any fabric shop should have an inexpensive snap kit that includes a simple installation tool and 6-10 snap piece sets. Installation is easy requiring only a hammer.
The snap mounting to the box has been addressed above, except to add: It is best to drill a pilot hole (the diameter of the central trunkof the screw used, such that the only penetration of the screw into the wood is by the threads themselves) in the sound box before installing the snap attaching screws. Accordions are constructed of hardwoods, and hardwoods have little give in the cell structure to accomodate the intrusion of a screw. The pilot hole will prevent cracking of the surrounding wood. Use no larger that a #4 size screw, 1/4 (10mm) max length. I prefer stainless steel sheetmetal screws to wood screws. Wood screws have a taper on them in order to snug up when installed and stress the wood with outward pressure, which can crack hardwoods over time. Sheetmetal screws have threads their full length (more thread engagement) and are straight sided so dont load the host wood. I also prefer phillips style heads for the better screwdriver engagement (less slipping of the tool). If youre cleaver, and the accordion lends itself to it, you can place your snaps on the back pad in such a position that the keyboard back panel attaching screws can become the snap base attaching screws. Just remove screws, insert snap base, replace screw (may require a slightly longer screw), install pad. The pad snaps do not need to be placed at the extreme perimeter of the pad to be effective.
It probably took me longer to describe the process than it does to actually make the thing!

Press (pinch?) on....
Waldo

Glad I play French boxes.

No bellows straps, no backpads, no waxed reeds, no ugly register switches next the grille, no piano keyboard, no appeal to players outside France. Well there had to be a downside!

Made in France = Played in France (and very occasionally elsewhere). .

Dear Inflammo,

This subject (or a very similar one) has been discussed before, though no precise conclusion was arrived at.

My bellows loosen and then remove the buttons from my shirts, at the same time snagging chest hair in a most uncomfortable way.

I am far too coy to mention ladies' attributes, but it sounds as though both genders have something to fear from accordion bellows.

My Dear old Dad may well have been the missing link in the chain of human evolution, and I have followed on the family tradition of being seriously hirsute. The difference between my Dad and I is that he didn't play the accordion.

Good Luck With Your Quest,

Stephen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back