• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

What kind of accordion do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anything about your accordion , but the register switches look a lot like the ones on my Silvertone (Sears, Roebuck brand) but that might be common to that style of accordion (i'm guessing 2/4).

It looks like ts an 80 bass but without seeing the whole accordion its difficult to tell much about it

It`s a "Ladies model" (lighter with less stretch of the fimgers needed) - hence the narrow leyboard and two voices - basically the same box as the Calvi Parma, a very good Italian accordion (I had the 120 bass calvi ladies model) .... they`re usually tuned LM (octave tuned low and high reeds) rather than the MM tuning popular with German instruments (both same octave but tuned a bit apart to richen the sound - called Tremelo , Vibration tuning or often wrongfully "Musette" ) ........

Here in the US accordions with a 18" keyboard of 41 keys and 120 bass buttons are called Ladies. Accordions with 16" and 17" keyboards of 41 keys and 120 bass buttons are called student models. There were many of these 16" and 17" accordions made in the 50's and 60's for small students from 7 to 12 years old. Unless you are a woman with a small hand a 16" is difficult to perform with. In your pic"s I can see some bent bass buttons that will require some attention . JIM D.

Thank you everyone for your extremely informative and helpful responses thus far! I really appreciate it!

In the UK from what I remember they were all classed as Ladies models , if something is classed as a "Student" model , it`s based on price not size (same for other instruments) . a lot of women have very small hands indeed even here let alone places like the orient.

I can that I've failed to clarify that the size designations I mention here are for PA accordions of 41 keys and 120 basses. Button box sizes are as described by Adam-T. All US part suppliers use these designations when listing parts such as shoulder straps,back pads and bass straps. JIM D.

Nice. As a 70 years old, I could do with an 80 bass compact 2 voice like that. If any time you want to flog it let me know. Ladies accordions are also called compact accordions. Though some ladies have larger hands and are as strong as the blokes.

goldtopia said:
Nice. As a 70 years old, I could do with an 80 bass compact 2 voice like that. If any time you want to flog it let me know. Ladies accordions are also called compact accordions. Though some ladies have larger hands and are as strong as the blokes.
2 things Bill - It looked like an 80 in the 1st 1/4 pic cos hes got a sunk bass button so it looks like 5 rows, and you cant see 20 columns - but its a 120 bass.
And 2nd if you play between the black keys youd probably have to change as youll almost certainly catch the blacks with a compact.

Oh yes, I see the sunken bass button. It seems odd of having a 2 voice 120 bass. I have played a compact before without any problems, my fingers are slender but not like those of petite women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back