• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

What is your favorite mic system?

Big Squeezy Accordions

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious what have been people's experience with various accordion mic systems. I've installed and used several kinds, and they are always problematic. Feedback is, of course, a huge problem, and I've yet to find one that works with a loud band. Also, the bellows cable always fails at some point. It seems the cumulative motion inevitably degrades the cable, either causing the bass mic to cut out or, if the battery is on the bass side, the whole system to fail. Has no one built a system with the bass mic connected wirelessly? What brands are best for reducing feedback? I've heard good things about Harmonik, but haven't tried them myself.

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious what have been people's experience with various accordion mic systems. I've installed and used several kinds, and they are always problematic. Feedback is, of course, a huge problem, and I've yet to find one that works with a loud band. Also, the bellows cable always fails at some point. It seems the cumulative motion inevitably degrades the cable, either causing the bass mic to cut out or, if the battery is on the bass side, the whole system to fail. Has no one built a system with the bass mic connected wirelessly? What brands are best for reducing feedback? I've heard good things about Harmonik, but haven't tried them myself.
Judging by what I have read and samples heard Harmonik may be a very good choice. But it too uses a zig-zag cable going through the bellows, so if that is considered problematic it is no exception to the others. I use a cheap mic from Carini (in Castelfidardo) to capture the sound of my bass accordion and have no problems with that, but the bass accordion only has a treble side (with only low notes), so no cable going through.
I have played a normal accordion with amplification and for that I have always used the Microvox system, which uses a bar with mics attached to the grille with velcro (on the outside) and a single mic on the bass side (also attached with velcro) so the cable between them runs on the outside (hanging loose). No issues with the cable (other than with connectors which need to be good quality), and the battery is also external. But... in terms of feedback it may be less good than mics installed under the grille and inside the bass compartment. Still... I have not had any significant feedback issues there. (I try not to amplify so loudly that the audience will suffer from tinnitus after my performance.)

jozz

Player
Site Supporter
Reaction score
for a loud dynamic band I use these:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/midifisa

They are in the box in my profile picture. The builder uses slightly beefier connectors that are nicely soldered. They have more gain before feedback than the Sennheiser system / Musictech strips etc.

For my main acoustic accordeon I use Sennheiser MT-05 internals. Through the years they have suffered a bit. The connector going from bellows to bass-side suffers the most. From factory they are a weak connection (cut inserts, no solder), so either you reinsert the wires now and again or you solder them.

I mostly use IEM, but if not I will not feedback easily. I run my gain pots at 30-40%. Some people tend to turn them up 100% (like a gitarist), this is when problems arise.