• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

What are you practising?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyanka

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Or, indeed, playing.

I've been having a go at 'L'Indifference'. On the CBA!!!

On the PA, I have lots of different tunes on the go, possibly too many. I'm struggling particularly with Andy Cutting's 'Spaghetti Panic', which has been set as No.1 Ladies' homework...

Lullaby of Birdland

Sweet Jenny Jones ....STILL !

That Chopin thingy

The New Finnish One

Da Slockit Light and Agnes Waltz have been nearly binned due to being depressing...(the way I play em anyway)

The Jody Grind.....I asked on another tread.....thread .....how many is too many !!

Oh and Now ...Aint Misbehavin'

Oh yes, I'm still working on "that Chopin thingy" too and have added "the New Finnish One" to the practice routine. I also have a problem with Jenny, but mine is Jenny Lind rather than Jones.

Currently my list of practicing includes:

la cumparsita
Indifference
The magnante version of beer barrel polka
Autumn leaves
torna a surriento

And trying to come up with an arrangement of disenchanted by my chemical romance at the request of my daughter.
Ben

This week my tutor gave me something called "Morag of Dunevegan" (or some such thing), but it appears to be Scottish type music so it's gone straight in the bin. I'll have to tell her that my dog ate it ;)
As well as the exercises in my book I'm trying a very simple version of "Du, Du bist mir herzen", but struggling with the jump from the bottom of one page to the top of the next.

A three part invention by Petri Makkonen
A thing with a lot of bellows shaking called Etude Para Ninos by Bogdan Precz
Theme Vannetais on BCC# (melodeon.net tune of the month for, erm, last month)
And trying to sort out some kind of tarantella

But the way things are at the moment I don't think there's going to be any finished product soon...

"Time, time is what we need, give a little more time..."

Have been murdering the Agnes Waltz.... getting so I can actually recognise the tune now so I must be improving!

Other things ...A pub with no beer (Slim Dusty), Changes aka What a friend we have in Jesus(Alan Price) and endless 12 bar blues improvisations .More than anything these are in part to train myself to use the dom7ths in place of the Maj chords on IV and V in some blues(and cajun) numbers...comes easy on the guitar but not intuitive for my right hand on the PA

I have recently discovered the Dim chord...but prefer to right hand them rather than bass button...weird innit ?

Still trying to get past the 5th line of Agnes Waltz {} (Two tunes a month was mightily ambitious on my part!)

Aria - Richard Galliano
Style Musette - Andre Verchuren
Petite Fleur - Sidney Becket
Mon Amant de Saint Jean
Valse Militaire - Joseph Colombo
Vas-y Milime - Marc Perrone

Tarantellas, the southern kind, not the godfather kind.

Using the Mario Carbone first part, improvised second part (in G). If I ever get around to making a page I'll post a recording. My new organetto is so cool!

You've got it already!!! Oh man, please post, photos, sound clips, etc.

OK, I will, oh yeah, by the way, the first tune I'm playing is the Lucana Tarantella, weird how the Mario Carbone version plays the same lick on the push and pull but it's cool.

I think the idea may be, same lick on the push and the pull but you get a different chord behind it when you change direction, so it's like a variation in the sound but still basically repetition. I'm thinking of those 3 Carmelo Pansera albums where this happens quite a bit and it gets quite intense. Anyway, congratulations on getting it, lovely instruments...

OK, I see where you mentioned those albums before, and he's on youtube too, yup, pretty classic and you're right, those same old same old licks. Not that I'm complaining or anything, I think it's cool how the people riff on those licks, I suppose it's like people playing 12 bar blues here (and everywhere for that matter). Just in fooling around I can see how you come up with the variations and just keep on going - real dance music. Yeah, the organetto is lovely, smaller than I expected but real portable and plenty of sound. And you know, I see what you were saying about the reeds, I got a basic model and I think the tuning could use a little adjusting, whether I'll do it (or have it done professionally)or not I don't know. Just need less time at work and more time in the studio........

As another aside, Donn mentioned Riccardo Tesi on another thread and I listened to a bit of it but I went back and really checked out a bunch more and I really like it - considering an updated take on an old style. He playes the more standard full 2 or 3 row but has what I think to be a unique take. Have you checked him out?

Haha, Amazing Grace and various Legend of Zelda songs from the videogame.

Classic newbie here.

Strauss said:
Haha, Amazing Grace and various Legend of Zelda songs from the videogame.

Classic newbie here.

and heres me thinking Amazing Grace is more folk than classsical - perhaps on second thoughts its classical folk

george ;)

Lately I've been working on a couple of waltzes, La Llorna trad Mexican, Soling Ander's trad Swedish and also Blackthorn Blossom trad Welsh.
In addition, I've rekindled my interest in the guitar after many years of neglect. After about two weeks my fingers are starting to get used to the strings :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back