• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Weltmeister Perle 26/48 MM or Hohner Bravo II 26/48 MM

Gorry

Reaction score
G'day,

I am 60 year old and after playing piano all my life I decided to start playing piano accordion. I really like the Balkan folk music as my wife has Croatian/Serbian background. I want to buy a new accordion. I compared the sound of different accordions on Liberty Bellows website and I really liked the sound of Beltuna Studio IV piano LMMH 34/72, but this accordion is beyond my skill level and certainly well above my budget ( $6,000). ;)

I narrowed my choice between Weltmeister Perle 26/48 and Hohner Bravo II 26/48 according to my budget. Weltmeister Perle is a little bit more expensive than Hohner but has 2 reeds on the treble and 3 on the bass vs Hohner Bravo II who has 2 reeds on treble and 2 on the bass, hence Weltmeister Perle is more heavier than Hohner Bravo II ( 6,5 kg vs 4,9 kg). Weltmeister also has 3 registres vs 2 registers on Hohner. I have a big hands and I think standard size piano keys on Weltmeister (20 mm) would be easier to play than a little bit narrower piano keys on Hohner ( 19 mm). I read all discussions about accordions Made in Germany vs accordions Made in China. I believe Weltmeister is Made in Germany but according to the current regulation if product has more than 51% of German parts, the product can be labelled as Made in Germany. I will appreciate an opinion from more experienced members to guide me in regards the sound and the quality of those two accordions and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Welcome!

On the Liberty Bellows website, I notice they have a used Hohner Verdi III N for sale that is in the same price range as the two new accordions you mentioned. While I realize that there is a certain attraction to buying new, my opinion is that the Verdi would be a much better choice, and if you maintain your interest in the accordion and improve your skills, you will be more likely to remain satisfied with the Verdi than the others.

Last edited:
Welcome Gorry🙂👍
Some thoughts relating to your issue:
26 treble keys. Is that enough to cover the music you intend to play?
Three vs two treble couplers: could it still be effectively only two couplers with one of them repeated?
Could you get a "better " deal for the same money buying second hand from one of the major Australian accordion dealers *?🤔
Have you tried playing Balkan music on the piano?🤔 It should prove quite interesting on the accordion 😁
Good luck with whatever you choose!🙂

*eg, here:

Last edited:
To answer your question, between the two I'd probably go with the Weltmeister. While quality has been reportedly mixed with Weltmeister, the two Welties I own are just fine, and I prefer the way they feel/play to my Hohner Bravo. That said, my Bravo is just fine for a starter instrument, and I do like the way the musette is tuned on it a bit better than one of my Welties, so there's that. I sense no real difference in key widths between the brands myself.

But to answer the question you didn't ask... Is a 48-bass accordion a good idea to start out with? I'm not so sure. For what you want to eventually play on accordion, I think you'll soon find an instrument that size to be limiting.

I would echo the posts that recommend that you maybe consider a used accordion, from a reputable dealer with a solid return/repair policy, if that will enable your budget get you a 72 or 120-bass accordion. I think you'll find the trade-off worth it.

I would second that Verdi that Scoromondo posted. If in impeccable working order (which, unfortunately, you won't know until you examine it) seems a nice option. If you want new, contact an Italian boutique maker directly. Just my 2£.

Hi guys,

Thanks everyone for the reply. As I am a beginner and 60 year old I prefer the smaller and lighter instrument, I believe 41 keys /120 bass accordion will be too big & heavy and overwhelming for me, however I understand the limitations of 26/48 bass models. I guess if I progress well in the next few years and develop skills to play smaller accordion I can later upgrade to 34/72 or 34-37/96 bass accordion which I think would be my limit in regards to size & weight and my intended playing repertoire. I noticed there are few accordions capable of a large dynamic range in this size ( Scandalli, Beltuna, Dino Baffetti 37/96 ) but let's see my progress first. At the moment, I am leaning towards Weltmeister Perle due to richer bass sound ( 3 bass reeds vs Hohner Bravo 2 bass reeds) and larger piano keys as I have large hands. Weltmeister is ~ $300 more expensive than Hohner Bravo II.

There are only few new accordion shops here in Sydney and range is quite limited. They sell Hohner and some cheaper Chinese brands (i.e. Paloma, Gerarda etc). The local accordion shops do not sell Weltmeister accordions and the range of Hohner accordions available to test is quite limited as most Hohner models are out of stock. The only option to get preferred model from reputable accordion manufacturer is to order accordion online from Liberty Bellows or Thomann UK website.

I looked some used accordions on eBay and Gumtree but many are old, vintage and neglected accordions (according to the photos). In many cases, the seller have no idea about the age, history or specification of the instrument & number of reeds. At least one Gumtree seller was honest, he bought the second hand accordion at Salvation Army store for his son and had no idea about the instrument he purchased in charity shop. I just want a trouble free, easy playing, tuned accordion until I develop the required skills, therefore I prefer the new Weltmeister or Hohner as my first instrument.

I will keep you updated.

Best,

Gorry

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. My wife expects me to play accordion at this level within few years...;) certainly I will need a bigger accordion by that time. Here is link to nice and typical Balkan folk melos performed by Aleksandar Sofronijevic, on Scandalli accordion. I love the sound of this accordion. What is the voice of the high sound ? Piccolo ? This guy and his orchestra are quite popular in Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia. BTW the accordion is one of the most popular instruments in Balkan.

Last edited:
Welcome Gorry🙂👍
Some thoughts relating to your issue:
26 treble keys. Is that enough to cover the music you intend to play?
Three vs two treble couplers: could it still be effectively only two couplers with one of them repeated?
Could you get a "better " deal for the same money buying second hand from one of the major Australian accordion dealers *?🤔
Have you tried playing Balkan music on the piano?🤔 It should prove quite interesting on the accordion 😁
Good luck with whatever you choose!🙂

*eg, here:
Yes, I play Balkan folk music on piano, but piano can't match the warm sound of accordion. I have KORG PA 700 Oriental arranger and even the digital sample of accordion on KORG is not quite the same as acoustic accordion, in my opinion. I enclosed the video clip bellow for you to hear Balkan folk (kolo) on accordion accompanied by piano. You can compare the sound.

To answer your question, between the two I'd probably go with the Weltmeister. While quality has been reportedly mixed with Weltmeister, the two Welties I own are just fine, and I prefer the way they feel/play to my Hohner Bravo. That said, my Bravo is just fine for a starter instrument, and I do like the way the musette is tuned on it a bit better than one of my Welties, so there's that. I sense no real difference in key widths between the brands myself.

But to answer the question you didn't ask... Is a 48-bass accordion a good idea to start out with? I'm not so sure. For what you want to eventually play on accordion, I think you'll soon find an instrument that size to be limiting.

I would echo the posts that recommend that you maybe consider a used accordion, from a reputable dealer with a solid return/repair policy, if that will enable your budget get you a 72 or 120-bass accordion. I think you'll find the trade-off worth it.
Thanks. I guess as an absolute beginner I will need a few years to achieve skills to play something bigger than 26/48 bass accordion. The size and the weight of the smaller accordion could be an advantage to use it as a travel instrument.

Last edited:
At the moment, I am leaning towards Weltmeister Perle due to richer bass sound ( 3 bass reeds vs Hohner Bravo 2 bass reeds)
Actually, the Bravo has 4 sets of bass reeds. In a piano accordion with Stradella bass, I have never seen one with only 2 sets of bass reeds except for toys. Even 3 sets is very unusual.

Actually, the Bravo has 4 sets of bass reeds. In a piano accordion with Stradella bass, I have never seen one with only 2 sets of bass reeds except for toys. Even 3 sets is very unusual.
Thanks for the comment. Yes, I just looked again into Hohner and Weltmeister Catalogue, you are correct, Hohner Bravo II has 4 bass voices ( reeds) and Perle, Juwel and Rubin have 3 bass reeds. :unsure: Regardless, I've heard lots of reasonably good report about the Weltmeister, which would make me tend towards them. It seems that the new Weltmeisters are hugely improved over the communist era ones.

Last edited:
I have a Weltmeister Perle, bought new at Christmas. I’ve played the accordion for 45+ years since tiny, but struggle now with my adored Italian 72 bass due to progressive neurological disease. I do still play it, but much more rarely. So I bought a 48 bass at Christmas. The Perle was my choice based on weight (lighter I think than the figure you posted) and sound quality. I liked its sound much more than the Hohner alternative. A 48 bass is a compromise for me, not least because B minor is my favourite key, and I can’t readily play that on it! But the lightness and convenience factor is superb.

I am delighted with my Weltmeister Perle Blue 48. It has a lovely rich sound, and is very responsive to play. and best of all I find it convenient and light to manage, though I generally still get my husband to help me take it out and put it away.

Here is a link to an audio recording from my play the other day so you can hear the sound. My own arrangement of Valse d’Amelie. Still needs more practice :)

I started with a 12 bass accordion aged 4, then moved on to a 48 bass accordion until age 9. I switched to 72 bass then, resisting my accordion teacher’s wish for me to have a bigger accordion. As a young girl I was happy with the 72 bass model that had all the basses, even with some leaping. I think a 48 bass will be excellent for you.

Best wishes from Scotland.

Last edited:
@vivdunstan, You are a true musician. Beautiful music!

Thank you so much! Accordion play is trickier for me now, but it still gives me such joy. I started doing my own arrangements 18 months ago, and that has been such a pleasure. I have lots on the go, and with more practice plan to upload some recordings here.

Thank you for the advice. I placed an order for Weltmeister Perle black colour through Thomann UK website. The waiting list for red accordion is several months. I will keep you updated.

Lovely! Hope you will be very happy with it :) I bought my Perle from Thomann too.

I bought a Perle as my first "decent" accordion way back in 2009. I found it absolutely fine, actually I preferred it to a Hohner Bravo 26/48. It was just "better", nothing I can put my finger on, I just preferred the action and the sound. One local accordionist has had one for years and finds it most satisfactory. Hope all goes well.

G'day,

I am 60 year old and after playing piano all my life I decided to start playing piano accordion. I really like the Balkan folk music as my wife has Croatian/Serbian background. I want to buy a new accordion. I compared the sound of different accordions on Liberty Bellows website and I really liked the sound of Beltuna Studio IV piano LMMH 34/72, but this accordion is beyond my skill level and certainly well above my budget ( $6,000). ;)

I narrowed my choice between Weltmeister Perle 26/48 and Hohner Bravo II 26/48 according to my budget. Weltmeister Perle is a little bit more expensive than Hohner but has 2 reeds on the treble and 3 on the bass vs Hohner Bravo II who has 2 reeds on treble and 2 on the bass, hence Weltmeister Perle is more heavier than Hohner Bravo II ( 6,5 kg vs 4,9 kg). Weltmeister also has 3 registres vs 2 registers on Hohner. I have a big hands and I think standard size piano keys on Weltmeister (20 mm) would be easier to play than a little bit narrower piano keys on Hohner ( 19 mm). I read all discussions about accordions Made in Germany vs accordions Made in China. I believe Weltmeister is Made in Germany but according to the current regulation if product has more than 51% of German parts, the product can be labelled as Made in Germany. I will appreciate an opinion from more experienced members to guide me in regards the sound and the quality of those two accordions and recommendations. Thanks in advance.
G'day from Melbourne..
Music Junction here has quite a decent stock of accordions, new and old, including Hohner Bravo II, might be worth a day trip to check out a few.. (and the owner plays !, very knowlegeable). https://www.musicjunction.com.au/collections/accordions/category_piano-accordions

Back