• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Weltmeister key problem

boxplayer4000

Reaction score
The accordion is a Weltmeister Topas 37/96 model.
The photo shows the pallet metal arms held in the plastic keys with glue. A problem is arising where the glue is failing and allowing movement of the pallet arms within the keys affecting key travel/pallet lift/misalignment.
Has anybody dealt with this problem? If key removal is going to be required it is going to be simplified since individual keys are secured with the tiny red wedges. However given the small size of these wedges it would seem prudent to have a few spares to hand, where possible.

Weltmeister copy.jpg

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If this one came into my shop I would resolve the problem using 5 min. epoxy. I would first remove the key, remove the pallet rod,
clean out any loose glue, reglue the base of the rod & replace the key. The 5 min. epoxy will give you time to align the rod before
it hardens. Unlike the original glue, the epoxy would be permanent fix. The procedure would be 10% parts, 90% labor.

Last edited:

godgi

Reaction score
this side of thw pond we have a "gorilla" branded gue product also as an epoxy.
its more expensive than other glue products promising extra bonding etc.
as an epoxy i have found it rubbish. I suggest try another brand.
godgi

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In the UK look for Zap-Z-Poxy 5 min. Should be found on Amazon UK.

boxplayer4000

Reaction score
JimD.

Thanks for your thoughts. What you describe is the process I had hoped could be avoided by some ‘miracle’ procedure I had not heard about. In your description you use the the term’ clean out the loose glue’. Although the glue has failed to retain its grip on the metal pallet shaft the remaining glue is still very hard and solid and cleaning out ‘the loose glue’ is not an easy option at the moment. Using some of the normal procedures for removing glue such as chemicals or heat is restricted since the the key is plastic.

WaldoW

Reaction score
Are you sure it's glue? It looks a lot like reed wax. If wax, one could heat the aluminum rod, above, but near the joint causing the wax to melt and reset.
Just a possibility...

Press on,
Waldo

Valski

Reaction score
this side of thw pond we have a "gorilla" branded gue product also as an epoxy.
its more expensive than other glue products promising extra bonding etc.
as an epoxy i have found it rubbish. I suggest try another brand.
godgi
Also available on the other side of the pond! Very good product, which I would highly recommend.