• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Warning, Warning!!!! Polka approaching....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You may not like polka music, or old time music in general, but I gotta call out Ted Lange here as one of the hardest working accordionists in internet land. They have a TON of music in their weekly variety show list on youtube.

Anyway, what is of interest here is his amazing fluency with fills, and the bellows shake accompaniment (2:20) style:

You may not like polka music, or old time music in general, but I gotta call out Ted Lange here as one of the hardest working accordionists in internet land. They have a TON of music in their weekly variety show list on youtube.

Anyway, what is of interest here is his amazing fluency with fills, and the bellows shake accompaniment (2:20) style:

I've seen them before and they are quite accomplished. The accordion is a versatile instrument that can play so many different types of music. I don't think that we need to apologize for liking any particular genre . Let's just listen and enjoy.

I've seen them before and they are quite accomplished. The accordion is a versatile instrument that can play so many different types of music. I don't think that we need to apologize for liking any particular genre . Let's just listen and enjoy.
Thanks Valski!! Like the accordion, reports of the demise of old time music have been greatly exaggerated, however, those of us that play it sometimes face ignorance, scorn and LWDS (Lawrence Welk Derangement Syndrome). Playing well, and playing loud are sometimes the only, and proper response. I pretty much have the loud part down.

Last edited:
Thanks Valski!! Like the accordion, reports of the demise of old time music have been greatly exaggerated, however, those of us that play it sometimes face ignorance, scorn and LWDS (Lawrence Welk Derangement Syndrome). Playing well, and playing loud are sometimes the only, and proper response. I pretty much have the loud part down.
Some people like hip hop and disco. Who am I to judge? Never apologized for the music that you like.

Well, I do (did) like disco, now death metal I can do without. ??

Well, I do (did) like disco, now death metal I can do without. ??
I agree, disco can be at least tolerated while some other genres are a little harder on the ear. It's also funny when you think that some music was considered extreme in the 60's and 70's but it was actually quite sedate but because it was played by young people with long hair it was deemed scandalous. That music actually had structure and a melody line.

Actually there's a Finnish accordionist, quite attractive and talented who plays the version of metal which you referred to. Netta Skog is her name and she plays Roland digital in Metal band as well as classical music by the likes of Sibelius. Sending this from my tablet so I can't send you the link to YouTube but you might find it interesting.

Reactions: Tom
Wow!!!! is all I can say!!! Amazing how they got that giant bird in there ???

TOM:
Thanks for sharing that video.
I've watched Ted on YouTube several times, and he certainly is talented, but haven you noticed the versatility and talent of his partner, Mollie ?
This gal pays 10 or 11 different instruments---and pretty damm good at that.
I love the old style polka music, particularly both Polish style, and Slovene style. But most any style will do.
CHICKERS

TOM:
Thanks for sharing that video.
I've watched Ted on YouTube several times, and he certainly is talented, but haven you noticed the versatility and talent of his partner, Mollie ?
This gal pays 10 or 11 different instruments---and pretty damm good at that.
I love the old style polka music, particularly both Polish style, and Slovene style. But most any style will do.
CHICKERS
Hi Chickers! Yes, Mollie B is a fantastic musician and singer. I find her on stage persona a little "over the top" but understand what she is striving for with it. It's cool that they are featuring a lot of guest musicians these days too.

I agree, disco can be at least tolerated while some other genres are a little harder on the ear. It's also funny when you think that some music was considered extreme in the 60's and 70's but it was actually quite sedate but because it was played by young people with long hair it was deemed scandalous. That music actually had structure and a melody line.
Truth starts as heresy, grows into fashion then decays into superstition..... ?

I love a good polka. And that is some good polka.

I listen to a lot of different genres. Country, salsa, tango, opera, polka, merengue and even Metalcore when I'm at the gym.

Another example:
BTW I notice there's quite a lot of space around the dancers. It's not just because of COVID19!?
Thanks Dingo! Unusual to see a piano cordeen in this music?

Tom,
It would seem, from my limited experience, PA is quite the thing!?
Tom and Nick, thanks for responding!??

Reactions: Tom
More traditional. He's even using the basses.

You may not like polka music, or old time music in general, but I gotta call out Ted Lange here as one of the hardest working accordionists in internet land.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I've seen Ted do a perfect bellows shake for like 10 minutes, thats some endurance!

What surprises me are his YouTube views... first off, an accordion based channel with over 20,000 subscribers... WOW. Second he has videos there that have hundreds of thousands of views... what the heck!! I struggle to get a hundred views, so maybe I need to start playing more polkas... LOL

I can't remember where I saw it, but I've seen Ted do a perfect bellows shake for like 10 minutes, thats some endurance!

What surprises me are his YouTube views... first off, an accordion based channel with over 20,000 subscribers... WOW. Second he has videos there that have hundreds of thousands of views... what the heck!! I struggle to get a hundred views, so maybe I need to start playing more polkas... LOL

That's probably due to the fame from the "Mollie B Polka Party" TV show. It aired for many years on the RFD TV cable channel here in the States, and is still on in re-runs at least weekly. I get the impression that their band was already pretty popular on the polka circuit, but the TV show really brought them to the attention of a larger audience.

I got to see them a few Oktoberfests ago down in Helen, Georgia (which is one of those "alpine village" tourist towns, similar to Leavenworth, WA) and they were quite good. Both of them are total pros that know how to entertain an audience.

Although I gotta admit, when I hear the name "Ted Lange", I can't help but first think of this guy:

DJwpd-kV4AAhTtw.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back