• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Volume of high treble reeds

CJ1942

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a near new Scarlatti 48 bass but the high treble reeds are lower volume than my old Baile 48 bass. Can I improve the volume? C.J.

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can only speak for the behavior of accordions...
Starting from a high note around C6 accordions stop using valves. As a result a bit of air is spilled through the opposing reed (on the reed plate), which reduces volume, may produce a slight hissing sound, and may make the note sound sharper. But not using valves is needed because very high reeds otherwise have trouble starting. In reality it is hard to say exactly whether the high notes are softer or not because subjectively the somewhat sharper sound may appear louder (although if you make a recording and look at the the soundwaves they have a lower amplitude.
The other thing that influences volume is the voicing of the reeds, which is how far the tip of the reed sits above the reed plate. If the reed sits higher it plays louder but has more difficulty to start. It's important that voicing is very consistent in order to have consistent volume as well.
It is very unlikely that Chinese rubbish has good quality reeds and careful attention paid to voicing. Baile exists for longer than Scarlatti so they may have learned a bit from earlier mistake. Scarlatti is a relative newcomer so they still face a learning curve.