• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Vintage Excelsior - Need help identifying details

Reaction score
Hi al!! I have my late father's vintage Excelsior Accordiana and am looking to sell it. But need help with appraisal details. I am pretty sure it is from the 1960s-1970s? It was made in Italy Model No. 520 (serial number?) CK #21184
Here are a couple of shots. If anyone has any knowledge to share or can point me to the right resource it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Scarlet

Attachments

• IMG_2509.jpeg
    IMG_2509.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2512.jpeg
    IMG_2512.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 56
hey tatts,

that is a nice box.. i would have called it a semi-pro or high Student model
in it's day... i am thinking very early 60's

it has 4 sets of treble reeds, LMMH configuration..

these were well built and if it is in nice, playable condition,
still has many years of life and value left in it

note the electronics (Microphones) were factory installed, though
many mic installs of this period have dried and cracked wiring, which
needs replaced to work properly

i always liked this design as it has just enough chrome and angles to
give it a clean deco look, but is not a boat anchor like many of it's
chrome covered peers

in the eastern PA market you have a lot of competition around
Philadelphia, not so much back west around Pittsburgh

i would craigslist it at $999 and let a few people look at it and give you
hands on feedback and offers

if all the keys are level and it sounds pretty much in tune with
no yucky sounding notes and no wheezy air leaks, then hold out
for a good offer. if it has issues discount accordingly. if some
kid plays it for you and blows your mind and he only has a few hundred,
give him a break if he lets you tatto your parlor advert on his chest

ciao

Hi Ventura! Thanks so much for this in depth response, it's REALLY appreciated! I even reached out to Excelsior in Italy and they couldn't help me at all, saying they lost "all their old records" back in 2007 when they moved. Strange they couldn't even offer a date with the serial number info!

Yes my father was a professional performer and hooked this thing into an amp... but i have no way of testing that part. Otherwise I believe she still plays really well otherwise.

But I am definitely going to try Craigslist. And thanks for noting my location, I'm closer to Pitts anyway. Let's hope the fact that I live in the land of the Pennsylvania Polka works in my favor for this one.... lol

You have a top of the line student model Excelsior early 50's thru early 70's Accordiana. This model was offered
to fill the gap between their student model line & their pro models of Excelsior & Excelsiola. These Accordiana's were sold as
a semi-pro accordion of excellent build & sound quality.
If I had yours in my shop and and refurbished I would price it at $2495.00 and not let it go for under $2000.00.

Hi Jim D! Thanks so much for your feedback. I put the heavy beast of a thing on the other day to test out all the keys and buttons and it still plays beautifully. Only thing I can't test are the electronics because I don't have an amp.
I've listed it on Craig's List..... and upped the price, thanks to you! :)

quick question for the Scottish members..

the Piano key excelsior accordiana referenced in this posting..
is it worth more in the British Isles/ Scotland specifically, or
d you all play Button keyboards ?

quick question for the Scottish members..

the Piano key excelsior accordiana referenced in this posting..
is it worth more in the British Isles/ Scotland specifically, or
d you all play Button keyboards ?
Note I have one for sale in UK and wouldn't expect more than £700 for it...about going rate here.... just sayingPXL_20230420_084950869.jpg

Back