• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Vintage accordion sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirralaccordion

Reaction score
I love the sound of vintage accordions but dont know the adjectives that describe them. Here is such a one

Does anybody know what the song played on the first two registrations ( clarinet and musette ) is? Also, how you get 4 registrations out of 2 couplers?

Any links to that same sound would be appreciated.

maugein96 post_id=63083 time=1537649331 user_id=607 said:
wirralaccordion post_id=63078 time=1537641794 user_id=2229 said:
I love the sound of vintage accordions but dont know the adjectives that describe them. Here is such a one

Does anybody know what the song played on the first two registrations ( clarinet and musette ) is? Also, how you get 4 registrations out of 2 couplers?

Phil,

The first tune is Domino, a well known French waltz. First part is straight tuned clarinet (one reed). Second bit is MMM (three reed musette). That box is an LMMM and he later plays the master coupler, which has all four voices on. Looks like those couplers have a dual function, i.e. each coupler serves two registers, so he is able to get M, MMM, LMM, and LMMM. I could be wrong as Im not familiar with that type of accordion, but its amazing what you can get with not a lot of couplers.

I have a French made LMM Cavagnolo that has only three couplers, but they give 6 options.

Lever 1 up= All treble reeds off (to allow midi, if fitted)
Lever 1 down= L or Bassoon reeds
Lever 2 up=MM
Lever 2 down=LMM
Lever 3 up=M
Lever 3 down= LM

The language in the clip is Hungarian.

I also enjoy vintage accordion sounds and play regularly on 1930s and 1940s CBAs.

Here is a link to a video of Felisberto Calado from Portugal playing a Cooperativa Armoniche which must date from the late 1920s or Early 1930s .

Most of these vintage accordions are 3 voice musette or LMMM but I have a 1930s Ranco which is MMMM with no register switches and a single purpose... to make as much noise as possible in the days before amplification.

Here is something vintage from France:

Somewhat popular in the Auvergne region to utilise pre-war accordions to accompany the Cabrette , usually with 3 voice Musette tuning as in this Ranco Guglielmo played by Guy Chausy with Christophe Burg on Cabrette.

Wirralaccordion:
Better late than never. Regarding one of your questions at the head of the thread and how 2 couplers can give 4 combinations the explanation is as follows:- One wrist coupler takes the bassoon reed in and out and the other takes both tuned (+ and -) reeds in and out. This allows M, LM, MMM and LMMM reed combinations.
I have a bit of downsizing going on at the moment and am reluctantly selling one of those accordions.
I played it for a couple of hours yesterday and still admire its tone and response.

The name of the tune is "Domino". Better late than never

Wirralaccordion:
Better late than never. Regarding one of your questions at the head of the thread and how 2 couplers can give 4 combinations the explanation is as follows:- One wrist coupler takes the bassoon reed in and out and the other takes both tuned (+ and -) reeds in and out. This allows M, LM, MMM and LMMM reed combinations.
I have a bit of downsizing going on at the moment and am reluctantly selling one of those accordions.
I played it for a couple of hours yesterday and still admire its tone and response.
Boxplayer4000 - I have sent you a pm, Phil

Well, I took the plunge and bought the accordion from boxplayer so here I am after a little practice with Domino. Unfortunately, a very long way to go before reaching the standard set on the first post on this thread! Dudas Andras was a national champion however.

This is my contribution for week 15 of the 21 week programme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back