• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Vintage accordion Name Abalone How Old What is this

Reaction score
I was gifted this non playable accordion from a friend who owned an accordion museum in Ohio.

Very ornate Abalone (appears 1920s Woman Lying on side).

ANYTHING you can provide WILL help in my researchA937BB44-8ACC-4E7C-B90E-AF6E44AA1F1D.jpeg

Attachments

• D1488E17-920C-474A-8BE3-2536306487CC.jpeg
    D1488E17-920C-474A-8BE3-2536306487CC.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 28
  • F6C1F1CA-5AF9-4BF0-A194-72D1738BA569.jpeg
    F6C1F1CA-5AF9-4BF0-A194-72D1738BA569.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 8743EC09-F76F-4793-AB20-FF8585EDB2AC.jpeg
    8743EC09-F76F-4793-AB20-FF8585EDB2AC.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 30
  • 4DB56382-CEFE-431D-B8B0-3BAE2BCCFA3E.jpeg
    4DB56382-CEFE-431D-B8B0-3BAE2BCCFA3E.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 33
Simply gorgeous!🙂
Is It playable?
It looks to be 1930's to me.

Last edited:
Not sure of the accordion maker of this one but I think the tag abalone refers to he inlays on the
accordion body. A 30's to 40's vintage, it's shame that it has been embalmed other than being refurbished .

Last edited:
On the right hand grill, that centerpiece of what looks a bit like a harp, is something that is often used by early Paolo Soprani accordions. That and the register mechanism looks very similar to my old (also non-playing) Paolo Soprani Italia. The treble keys... either never played in the sun or in smoke filled rooms, are way whiter than what normally one sees, I would suggest that those are later replacements.

Jim is right about the abalone, this is a member of the clam or shellfish family. The inside of the abalone is often perl-ish or iridescent... just like your accordion shows. Red California abalone are some of the most prized in the world due to their iridescence and colours.

For someone that really likes this accordion, it would be one that is worthy of being completely refurbished and used, one does not come across these beauties very often.

Value? That is unfortunately another story. Accordions don't have much of a value on the open market today... only worth what someone would offer for it. Greatest value would be to be lovingly used and played.

Simply gorgeous!🙂
Is I playable?
It looks to be 1930's to me.
On the right hand grill, that centerpiece of what looks a bit like a harp, is something that is often used by early Paolo Soprani accordions. That and the register mechanism looks very similar to my old (also non-playing) Paolo Soprani Italia. The treble keys... either never played in the sun or in smoke filled rooms, are way whiter than what normally one sees, I would suggest that those are later replacements.

Jim is right about the abalone, this is a member of the clam or shellfish family. The inside of the abalone is often perl-ish or iridescent... just like your accordion shows. Red California abalone are some of the most prized in the world due to their iridescence and colours.

For someone that really likes this accordion, it would be one that is worthy of being completely refurbished and used, one does not come across these beauties very often.

Value? That is unfortunately another story. Accordions don't have much of a value on the open market today... only worth what someone would offer for it. Greatest value would be to be lovingly used and played.
I wholeheartedly agree. I also became, because of your post, keys are white and bass yellowish. Thank you for takin te time

I just received a message from an email from a gentleman stating:

“Hi Judy… You have an accordion made by L. Demianenko from New York. I would say it was made probably in the late 1920s. It’s a real antique piece that would be put in a museum. The company was noted for its beautiful artwork on their accordions. It’s very coincidental but someone Donated to us an Accordion made by that company just two weeks ago.”

IF this accordion can be fixed (?), I would be willing to sell it.ACCORDIONS are to be played…… the treble and bass keys function normally. I have not opened the bellows out of respect for gentleman who gifted it when he said it does not play

Galaezzi-Sordoni in New York did a lot of chubby Italian goddess
artwork in Abalone and of course Cellulose too on their accordions

i think this is an earlier model because she still has most of her clothes on ?
and as years progressed the accordion Ladies got more and more racy
and LESS AND LESS COVERED

yours does not appear to say "made in Italy" anywhere ?
but i guess that was not required on imports waaaay back then

that last Galeazzi i ran across (it was destroyed condition) i saved the
chubby Goddess and hung her on a beam in the garage.. it was unusual
also in that the 120 Bass section buttons seem to be Ivory (or bone)
i saved that too.. stuck it up in the rafters somewhere

i also think the grille cover being plastic makes it a relatively later model, as they
used metal grilleplates earlier years, also that it is 120 Bass

you at least need a few grille corners to even try and get the bellows airtight to test the beast,
as it appears a few have fallen off

the reedblocks were thinly made and round holes on the bottoms and the
reeds were Galvanized rather than Aluminum

Last edited:
Galaezzi-Sordoni in New York did a lot of chubby Italian goddess
artwork in Abalone and of course Cellulose too on their accordions

i think this is an earlier model because she still has most of her clothes on ?
and as years progressed the accordion Ladies got more and more racy
and LESS AND LESS COVERED

yours does not appear to say "made in Italy" anywhere ?
but i guess that was not required on imports waaaay back then

that last Galeazzi i ran across (it was destroyed condition) i saved the
chubby Goddess and hung her on a beam in the garage.. it was unusual
also in that the 120 Bass section buttons seem to be Ivory (or bone)
i saved that too.. stuck it up in the rafters somewhere

i also think the grille cover being plastic makes it a relatively later model, as they
used metal grilleplates earlier years, also that it is 120 Bass

you at least need a few grille corners to even try and get the bellows airtight to test the beast,
as it appears a few have fallen off

the reedblocks were thinly made and round holes on the bottoms and the
reeds were Galvanized rather than Aluminum
I am blown away by the knowledge base of accordion enthusiasts in this forum! The Accordion is ALIVE and well

No great insight, but if the accordion is held in the playing position the woman is not lying on her side, but appears to be dancing, which seems to me more appropriate.

Back