• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Using an accordion stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suspect Roberto played 4 - 6 hours per night for years, he deserves a break. Besides, it makes it easier to do the "Tutto Pepe jump!" Viva il liscio!

I'm surprised how rock solid steady the setup appears to be and doesn't wobble about or topple over, as the base doesn't seem very wide or heavy ?

Suspect Roberto played 4 - 6 hours per night for years, he deserves a break. Besides, it makes it easier to do the "Tutto Pepe jump!" Viva il liscio!

I think the accordion is really meant to be played while seated. This looks awkward, and i think it would require a bit of time to get accustomed to this way of playing, but obviously these musicians seem to have mastered it. Still, I can’t imagine a violinist or a trumpeter or guitarist performing with their instrument rigidily mounted like this

I think the accordion is really meant to be played while seated. This looks awkward, and i think it would require a bit of time to get accustomed to this way of playing, but obviously these musicians seem to have mastered it. Still, I can’t imagine a violinist or a trumpeter or guitarist performing with their instrument rigidily mounted like this
Yeah, not the preferred setup, but this type of lineup is difficult to play seated, so definitely a trade-off. Especially when you consider these shows could go on for 4 or more hours. At my age, playing a full sized accordion, standing for an hour, is about all I can take.

These accordion stands were introduced 50 years ago in the US. Useless for a solo accordionist but worked well for a
performer with a live orchestral back up. 98% of them purchased here are now in a closet or storage as they were
useless for a solo performer or used for practice.

Reactions: Tom
I've pondered one for practice with my Roland I can just walk up to at any point but that's about it - it would definitely appease my lazy annoyance at having to put accordion/wired headphones on in the correct order. Probably not though, as the Roland I find to be stiff enough in terms of feel this would only alienate things further for me.

My Hohner Tango was meant to do just that, and there is nothing better when it comes to playing accordion for me, thanks!

To this end obviously the more static approach definitely works for some players, did you see how much air he got jumping through that one quick flourish!?! Way less sweaty at the end of day too I am sure :unsure:

I see it fitting in a show were the player must change into his/her accordion often. And taking the weight of things in a long show, sure.

For this clip it seems they wanted these guys simply not to sit down, from an aesthetic view.

Decided to break out my stand and set it up for practice. Maybe easier to just walk up and play a few minutes, especially during sight reading challenge. It's plenty sturdy, though doesn't go low enough for sitting in my regular chair, definitely made for standing. Should take some pressure off the legs though. _IMG_000000_000000.jpg

These accordion stands were introduced 50 years ago in the US. Useless for a solo accordionist but worked well for a
performer with a live orchestral back up. 98% of them purchased here are now in a closet or storage as they were
useless for a solo performer or used for practice.
These stands are expensive so unless you could get one of the used models sitting in a closet it would be unlikely that it would be something that I would purchase readily. Luckily I'm still strong enough not to need a stand but I did try one once and found the sensation really uncomfortable because it didn't feel as if I was connected to the instrument. When you strap yourself into an accordion there's a certain intimacy which was missing with the stand.

Perhaps I'm being unfair because of my very limited experience so let me know if I have missed the mark. If so my apologies.

These stands are expensive so unless you could get one of the used models sitting in a closet it would be unlikely that it would be something that I would purchase readily. Luckily I'm still strong enough not to need a stand but I did try one once and found the sensation really uncomfortable because it didn't feel as if I was connected to the instrument. When you strap yourself into an accordion there's a certain intimacy which was missing with the stand.

Perhaps I'm being unfair because of my very limited experience so let me know if I have missed the mark. If so my apologies.
You are correct, Valski. Although you can pivot the accordion back so that it is resting against your body, it's not the same as holding it with the straps. It's a trade-off. Don't ever get old!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back