• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Unusual side effect of learning PA - want a piano now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Teriodin

I have never played Piano (unless you count banging on the black keys at my NaNa's house when I was 5).

Since starting Piano Accordion, I now have an urge to play a real piano as the keys are starting to feel like so much fun.

I'm going to pick up a full-sized-keys electric one and use it with headphones for working out accordion fingerings on tunes I like, so I don't drive everyone mad playing the same piece over and over and over until I'm happy with it.

It might also help me to get a 'feel' for the key distances and so on, if I keep my eyes shut. *chuckles*

Good for you!

While a digital accordion would be a nice way of practicing silently there's quite a cost involved!

Might be worth considering a Casio SA-46, the keys are normal PA size and you can either play it "piano wise" or vertically in accordion position.
It has a headphone socket.
About £35.
Good luck!
Tom

TomBR said:
Good for you!

While a digital accordion would be a nice way of practicing silently theres quite a cost involved!

Might be worth considering a Casio SA-46, the keys are normal PA size and you can either play it piano wise or vertically in accordion position.
It has a headphone socket.
About £35.
Good luck!
Tom
Yep or similarly size an M Audio M32 digital key station for us with a computer... £40 ish
http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/keystation-mini-32

Yes Teriodin, I cottoned on to this idea a few years ago; It is defiantly more comfortable to put on headphones & work it out in my own time & space without the notion of disturbing others when sight reading & practicing more difficult pieces of music.

If you are used to a 120 bass accordion you may need a larger keyboard than that which the Casio SA-46 provides; it all depends on what you are playing, for example, if you are following the PH books you will defiantly need to source a keyboard with 24 white keys.

Good luck with your endeavours, I find it is also pleasant & most relaxing sometimes just to play the keyboard & forget about the bellow action for a while.........

A few other considerations:

1. What will your left hand be doing? Can you look at a chord in the bass clef of piano sheet music and identify it? Remember your inversions?

2. Accordions sustain as long as the bellows are moving. Electronic keyboards with a sustain pedal plugged in can sustain as long as your foot is down on it. Acoustic pianos, even with the sustain pedal depressed, can only sustain until the sound from the strings decays naturally, and that's usually a lot shorter than an accordion can sustain with careful bellows movement and certainly not as long as an electronic keyboard with its sustain pedal depressed.

On the bright side:

I've heard from my teacher, whose first instrument was piano-accordion and who's second was piano, that the transition from accordion to piano is a lot easier than the other way around. But then, he had already studied arranging, music copying, etc.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back