• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Universal or Guerrini?

Rogercr27

Reaction score
In this website http://www.accordions.com/articles/chronology.aspx, Universal Accordions appear as a manufacturer that was active from 1952 till 1983, however, almost every Universal accordion that I see looks very Guerrini-like, which makes me wonder, was Universal actually an accordion manufacturer or were they simply retailers who had accordions made for them?

Here are two examples:

On the other hand, I have had and seen Hagstrom-badged accordions with a label on the back that read: “Made for Hagstrom by Universal Castelfidardo Italy”, and then I believe there were other Universal accordions in the US… very confusing indeed!

Below are two photos of the same model commonly found in the market but under different names. Can we then say that these are Guerrini accordions?
23C9D683-4772-4332-BD80-20A4C366FCE4.jpegEF69EBCA-8186-43B0-B02B-6040649BC1B3.jpeg

From https://www.accordionlinks.com/manufacturer.html

There was a Universal Accordions company in Castelfidardo, Italy between 1952 and 1983, but there also were two in the USA: a Universial Music Company in San Francisco, between 1957 and 1975, owned by Wayne D. Parker and Paul Miners (presumably this is the one that is listed with an address in Alhambra, California as of 1975), and a Universal Accordion Company in Detroit, owned by Zupetti

the first two white accordions in the videos are obviously different
in many aspects of construction, but people tend to see what they want
to "see" when they have a conclusion determined ahead of time

Guerrini has a comparatively small factory behind their family home,
(which is now only open privately to select customers)
and were very well respected because they produced high quality
and smooth, full sounding instruments

but their output was never huge in quantity

people would be much better served looking for old Guerrini's
that are in fact marked "Guerrini" in big bold letters on the front
of the accordion

meanwhile, Universal USA was large and powerful enough at one time
to have their own reedmaking shop, and if you are lucky and find
one of their high-end old Chrome Plated Heavy as sin models in an
accordion boneyard somewhere now THAT might be worth talking about

Interesting, thanks for the clarification. Guerrini are indeed high quality accordions no doubt. Just found out that Pigini also used the same logo as the Universal in some of their accordions like this one below.

Attachments

• 5232E3AD-278B-4CC7-9AB4-B9FBF3464158.jpeg
    5232E3AD-278B-4CC7-9AB4-B9FBF3464158.jpeg
    592.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 4A071473-3161-4429-947A-7264CA276A3A.jpeg
    4A071473-3161-4429-947A-7264CA276A3A.jpeg
    548.4 KB · Views: 15
later, i felt an urge to add advise to this thread

which is

if any of you happen to have a chance to acquire an actual Guerrini (Italy)
accordion you can be confident they did not let it leave their hands
(and proudly carry their name) unless they were satisfied it was worthy

buy it

you won't be sorry

ciao

Ventura

Interesting conversation about Guerrini.
I own a "A. Guerrini & Sons" Castlefidardo .
Yep, it's a bit heavy, 24.5 lbs
Great sound

Attachments

• GUERRINI 2 IMG_0711.jpg
    GUERRINI 2 IMG_0711.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 7
  • GUERRINI 3 IMG_0712 (1).jpg
    GUERRINI 3 IMG_0712 (1).jpg
    84 KB · Views: 7
Having worked on some (real) Guerrini accordions (still with Taborro reeds) I can attest to the high quality of these instruments.
Sadly, the excellent reputation of Guerrini has prompted some less than honest accordion makers to produce fake Guerrini accordions.
You always have to be careful with any accordion that has one of the very reputable names on it... People make fakes, because they can get away with it...

Guerrini in its heyday exported accordions with over 50 different badges for importers that wanted a model
with their badge to expand their line of accordions. Since the folding of Guerrini & Universal in the late 70's The Chinese
have picked up the names for the junk they produce.

Guerrini in its heyday exported accordions with over 50 different badges for importers that wanted a model
with their badge to expand their line of accordions. Since the folding of Guerrini & Universal in the late 70's The Chinese
have picked up the names for the junk they produce.
I bought a new Guerrirni Oxford 3 ( I still have it ) in 1984. It has been a reliable and good sounding accordion. Never been in for a repair.
It is labeled as "Made in Italy". Do you think it was actually made in China? It is exactly like the accordion in the attached video.
BTW, I lived in Huntington Park in the 70s which was about 12 miles from the Universal Factory in Alhambra. I visited there many times. It wasn't a factory, but a repair shop and distributor. Most of the accordion studios in L.A. sold Universal accordions to their students. They were all three reed accordion LMH (BCP). No musette as all the schools had accordion bands that competed at the Western States Accordion Festival.

I bought a new Guerrirni Oxford 3 ( I still have it ) in 1984. It has been a reliable and good sounding accordion. Never been in for a repair.
It is labeled as "Made in Italy". Do you think it was actually made in China? ...
That accordion is very likely still a real "made in Italy" accordion. The invasion of Chinese junk (other than some early known brands like Baile and Parrot) is mostly more recent. The rise of the Internet and later webshops has contributed greatly in the ability of the Chinese to promote their junk and (illegally) sell accordions in "the West" under old famous names. But you can often spot a fake from a mile away...

Back