• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunlustin

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have noticed comments from members who have considerable experience suggesting that tuning is very stable over time.
Elsewhere, I had the impression that regular re-tuning was a must.
What is your experience?

Why in the world would anyone try to fix something that's not broken ??

Just the response I was hoping for, JIMD!
In a word, a box that is not kept in a shed could go almost indefinitely without re-tuning?

I think Jim (or someone) has pointed out before that most problems with 'tuning' are in fact just broken/aged valves that need to be replaced, which may correct things, provided that there's no rust and grime on the reeds themselves. In any case, there is no point in going in and filing reeds with sorting out the valves first.

Not all free reed instruments are so lucky.
My accordion teacher plays bandonion professionally and she visits her tuner with her main instrument twice per year.
Maybe it is just the typical Argentinian sensitivity of the instrument coupled with the fact that her main bandonion was made before 1914. ;)

Machine and Hand Made reeds that had properly tempered tongues started appearing on American,German and Italian accordions in the early 40's. Before this period in time most of the reeds produced had soft reed tongues and just normal playing would cause them to change temperment and require tuning after a short period. JIM D.

It also depends how hard you play your instrument - Karen Tweed used to play for several hours a day, with lots of attack and also bellow shakes. Her accordions needed tuning every six months.

I suppose you could turn that on its head and say that you expect a good few years between tunings for the average leisure player.

dunlustin said:
I suppose you could turn that on its head and say that you expect a good few years between tunings for the average leisure player.
Quite probably.

The quality of the reeds in any make of accordion will determine the frequency of tuning work. An accordion with fine hand made reeds and proper care will perform well for up to 10 years or more with only occasional cleaning and valve replacement. An accordion with mediocre machine made reeds have soft reed tongues and and with continual playing will require tuning in periods from 6 months to 2 years. JIM D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back