• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Trying out Irig Blueboard midi pedal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keymn

Prolific poster
Reaction score
I just hooked up this Irig Blueboard pedal to my Korg PA1000 arranger. Think it would do the same on Roland Bk-7m? Or control Roland accordion registers? Has anybody else tried this? I have tried the similar application with Airturn Bt200s.
A good use for those Bluetooth LE modules by Yamaha and Quicco Sound.

Keymn pid=70047 dateline=1582300114 said:
I just hooked up this Irig Blueboard pedal to my Korg PA1000 arranger. Think it would do the same on Roland Bk-7m? Or control Roland accordion registers? Has anybody else tried this? I have tried the similar application with Airturn Bt200s.

It appears a BK-7m can take MIDI commands to handle this... And from what I gather on your video the pedal board has bluetooth built in and you are using that little adapter to get it to standard MIDI, which you could plug into the BK-7m.

Here is an old forum post I found with some information on what has to be sent:

https://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5594

I am currently using a Novation Launchpad to control a Roland BK7m Backing Module.
The functions controlled are:
Start
Stop
Intro
Ending
Variations 1 to 4
8 Performances from a Performance List.

Any buttons on the Launchpad can be used for this purpose, but I have allocated the 8 circular buttons on the far right hand column for Start /Stop etc, and the 8 circular buttons on the top row for 8 Performances from a Performance List.
The Outgoing Midi Messages from BMTP are:
Start = FA
Stop = FC

Function MSB LSB PC
Intro. B9 00 42 B9 20 42 C9 41
Ending. B9 00 42 B9 20 42 C9 49
Variation 1. B9 00 42 B9 20 42 C9 00
Variation 2. B9 00 42 B9 20 42 C9 01
Variation 3. B9 00 42 B9 20 42 C9 08
Variation 4. B9 00 42 B9 20 42 C9 09

Performance 1. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 00
Performance 2. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 01
Performance 3. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 02
Performance 4. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 03
Performance 5. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 04
Performance 6. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 05
Performance 7. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 06
Performance 8. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 07

BMTP:
Incoming Port = Launchpad
Outgoing Port = BK7m
Swallow Incoming Midi Messages

BK7m:
BK7m Basic Channel = Channel 10

Hopefully that will give you a start.

Just looked a bit more, those are Bank select messages (most significant bit and lowest significant bit) followed by a program change.

In the BK-7m manual on page 90 they do list the program change numbers to send for each of the intro/ending/main/fillup/filldown as well as the performance list number selection also referenced in that post. Interesting stuff. :)

From the FR-4x manual, on selecting SETS and USER PROGRAMS....

This parameter allows you to set the basic MIDI channel.
The “Basic Channel” can be used for selecting Sets and User Programs from an external MIDI device (using CC00/CC32 (bank select) and PC (program change numbers)).
The CC00/CC32/PC which corresponds to select of SETs and User Programs is as follows.
Select “Off” if the part in question should neither receive nor transmit MIDI data.
SET: CC00 - 0, CC 32 - 0, PC 0-99 (1-100: Set Number)
UPG: CC 00 - 1, CC 32 0-6 (1-7: Bank), PC 0-13 (1-14: User Program Number)

I didnt find the part about selecting a register, though, although the FR-18 manual says that you just send:

CC 00 - 0, CC 32 - 0, PC - register number. (presumably on the channel of the part you are changing)

Oh, this is in the FR-4x MIDI IMPLEMENTATION chart... But it says they are not received unless you have External Seq. Playback turned on, in which case you cant play the instrument from the keyboard. Im almost positive I had tested the SET/UPG change and it worked while playing, but I dont think I had tested trying to set a specific register.

N9yty,
Like your post on this. You are quite knowledgeable.

I am just using PC (program change numbers as in the pa1000 manual, page 906.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cnr2xfv95y0wv9/Pa1000_User_Manual_v1.3_E.pdf?dl=0

The BK7m also has a list in the manual section “music style divisions”.
Intro 1 PC 67
Intro 2 PC 68
Main 1 PC 01
Etc...

The Mi.1 is creating the Bluetooth signal for Korg PA1000. Yes, it can do the same with BK-7m. The ud-bt01 is a better option since it can be plugged into the device USB port. Keeps the midi open for accordion.

The Blueboard pedal switch 1-4 sends out a cc control change #20 - #23 and the auxiliary switches #12, #13.
With the use of Midiflow app in the IPad, remap to the correct PC program change #. This would input the arranger Bluetooth module. I would think the bk-7m can do the same or?

Note: the PA1000 no longer has a pedal input for the EC5 pedal. The reason I have to use BlueBoard or similar pedal.

This is hard for me to explain, once perfected can do a more in-depth You Tube video on this.

If you are using the intermediary software (Midiflow) on the iPad, then yes, I think it could do the same. I think the bank select portions are only needed if you are changing the style, so if you are in the same style and just want the endings I think you could get by with just the Program Change commands as seen on page 90 of the manual. In fact, it specifically says so there:

If you also need to select a different Music Style, be sure to insert the corrseponding CC00 and CC32 bank select values (see “Music Style list” on p. 88) before one of the program changes numbers shown below.

Otherwise, to just select the variations/etc within the currently selected style you just use the right PC numbers:

The following program change numbers allow you to select the desired Music Style division via MIDI. These messages need to be transmitted on the BK-7m’s Style channel (see “Style—Rx Channel” on p. 70).

If you also need to select a differ- ent Music Style, be sure to insert the corresponding CC00 and CC32 bank select values (see “Music Style list” on p. 88) before one of the program changes numbers shown below.

Intro1 67
Intro2 68
Intro3 65
Intro4 66
Main 1 01
Main 2 02
Main 3 09
Main 4 10
Fill Down1 89
Fill Down2 100
Fill Down3 90
Fill Up1 97
Fill Up2 99
Fill Up3 98
Ending1 75
Ending2 76
Ending3 73
Ending4 74

E-Series compatibility
Intro 83
Fill in To Original 82
Fill in To Variation 81
Ending 84
Break Mute 85

n9yty said:
If you are using the intermediary software (Midiflow) on the iPad, then yes, I think it could do the same. I think the bank select portions are only needed if you are changing the style, so if you are in the same style and just want the endings I think you could get by with just the Program Change commands as seen on page 90 of the manual. In fact, it specifically says so there:

If you also need to select a different Music Style, be sure to insert the corrseponding CC00 and CC32 bank select values (see “Music Style list” on p. 88) before one of the program changes numbers shown below.

Otherwise, to just select the variations/etc within the currently selected style you just use the right PC numbers:

Intro1 67
Intro2 68
Intro3 65
Intro4 66
Main 1 01
Main 2 02
Main 3 09
Main 4 10
Fill Down1 89
Fill Down2 100
Fill Down3 90
Fill Up1 97
Fill Up2 99
Fill Up3 98
Ending1 75
Ending2 76
Ending3 73
Ending4 74

E-Series compatibility
Intro 83
Fill in To Original 82
Fill in To Variation 81
Ending 84
Break Mute 85

I will let you know results with airturn bt200 on Bk-7m. It works on Korg PA1000. Glad to share results and may need your expertise on making this work.
Already use iPad SongbookPlus to select performance number on bk and/or Songbook number on Korg. Have the ud-bt01 plugged in the arranger.

I tried the Blueboard on the Bk-7m with no success so far. Seemed so simple on the Korg PA1000.
Would think to just send the pc message over the basic channel be all that was needed? I will put this project aside as I still use the EC5 wired pedal on the Bk. All that midi code stuff blows my mind...?

The Basic Channel appears to be the one used to handle the Performance List changes, but maybe the commands for endings/variations/etc have to be sent on the Style channel? I missed that, but re-reading the stuff on Page 90 about it points there...

Looking at page 70 of the BK-7m manual it looks like it defaults to Channel 11 by default.

Give that a shot, because from what I can see it should be all that is needed is just to send those PC commands as you already were doing on the Korg PA1000.

I have to get my gear hooked back up to test this, if it doesn't work I'll be motivated to try it myself. :) I updated my earlier post so anyone in the future looking at it will see those notes.

n9yty said:
The Basic Channel appears to be the one used to handle the Performance List changes, but maybe the commands for endings/variations/etc have to be sent on the Style channel? I missed that, but re-reading the stuff on Page 90 about it points there...

Looking at page 70 of the BK-7m manual it looks like it defaults to Channel 11 by default.

Give that a shot, because from what I can see it should be all that is needed is just to send those PC commands as you already were doing on the Korg PA1000.

I have to get my gear hooked back up to test this, if it doesn't work I'll be motivated to try it myself. :) I updated my earlier post so anyone in the future looking at it will see those notes.

A good point. But I won’t be able to try this until tomorrow. I am already controlling the performance list selection with iPad Songbook Plus. And yes it on basic channel 16, which I set. I have both, Irig Blueboard and the Airturn Bt200s-6. They both should work. Keep you posted...spent some time on this, but will be well spent if it works!

Keymn said:
n9yty said:

A good point. But I won’t be able to try this until tomorrow. I am already controlling the performance list selection with iPad Songbook Plus. And yes it on basic channel 16, which I set. I have both, Irig Blueboard and the Airturn Bt200s-6. They both should work. Keep you posted...spent some time on this, but will be well spent if it works!

Yes, it works, just changed the style channel on Bk-7m to the Airturn Bt200s-6 channel. The Irig Blueboard may do the same but you have to MIDI map on MIDI Flow app. The Midi flow app is required to connect. Have Quicco mi.1 plugged into Bk-7m. Work the same, think if Yamaha ud-bt01 plugged into host port...
This is more versatile then the wire ec5. Gives you 6 buttons and what I heard, you can add up to 8 pedals which really is getting ridiculous? I have 2 Irig Blueboard and 2 Airturn Bt200s-6, maybe try this over kill for fun!

Glad you got it working, sounds wonderfully flexible. :) Looking forward to an updated YouTube Video (if you find the time) for the benefit of all the others out there who might want to breath some new life into their BK-7m without trying to track down an FC-7 pedal unit. I just remembered I had picked up Rocktron MIDI Mate, but that was when I was trying to do register changes on the FR-1xb, which you cant do while playing it (only when it is set to use an external sequencer). But it will be fun to fire this up and see what I can make it do on the BK-7m as it has more buttons and more configurability than the FC-7:

http://www.rocktron.com/midi-mate.html

It isnt bluetooth, but adapters can solve that to make it wireless if desired. I do wonder, though, how easy it would be as you start adding up all these devices to have a bluetooth hub so that you could have multiple things sending and receiving without getting hopelessly confused. LoL I havent played a lot with Bluetooth MIDI.

I also have a Behringer FCB-1010 with UNO. More toys than time to play with them, I never did get any of them to work for the projects they were purchased for, but this breathes new life into them. LoL

n9yty pid=70184 dateline=1582787541 said:
Glad you got it working, sounds wonderfully flexible. :) Looking forward to an updated YouTube Video (if you find the time) for the benefit of all the others out there who might want to breath some new life into their BK-7m without trying to track down an FC-7 pedal unit. I just remembered I had picked up Rocktron MIDI Mate, but that was when I was trying to do register changes on the FR-1xb, which you cant do while playing it (only when it is set to use an external sequencer). But it will be fun to fire this up and see what I can make it do on the BK-7m as it has more buttons and more configurability than the FC-7:

http://www.rocktron.com/midi-mate.html

It isnt bluetooth, but adapters can solve that to make it wireless if desired. I do wonder, though, how easy it would be as you start adding up all these devices to have a bluetooth hub so that you could have multiple things sending and receiving without getting hopelessly confused. LoL I havent played a lot with Bluetooth MIDI.

I also have a Behringer FCB-1010 with UNO. More toys than time to play with them, I never did get any of them to work for the projects they were purchased for, but this breathes new life into them. LoL

Yes changing register on FR4x. Done this a couple years ago...somewhere else in this forum, talked about it. This was before airturn pedal...hmmm? Got me thinking? ?
https://baumsoftware.freshdesk.com/...land-fr-4x-v-accordion-for-use-with-songbook-

n9yty pid=70059 dateline=1582355710 said:
Keymn pid=70047 dateline=1582300114 said:

It appears a BK-7m can take MIDI commands to handle this... And from what I gather on your video the pedal board has bluetooth built in and you are using that little adapter to get it to standard MIDI, which you could plug into the BK-7m.

Here is an old forum post I found with some information on what has to be sent:

https://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5594

I am currently using a Novation Launchpad to control a Roland BK7m Backing Module.
The functions controlled are:
Start
Stop
Intro
Ending
Variations 1 to 4
8 Performances from a Performance List.

Any buttons on the Launchpad can be used for this purpose, but I have allocated the 8 circular buttons on the far right hand column for Start /Stop etc, and the 8 circular buttons on the top row for 8 Performances from a Performance List.
The Outgoing Midi Messages from BMTP are:
Start = FA
Stop = FC

Function MSB LSB PC
Intro. B9 00 42 B9 20 42 C9 41
Ending. B9 00 42 B9 20 42 C9 49
Variation 1. B9 00 42 B9 20 42 C9 00
Variation 2. B9 00 42 B9 20 42 C9 01
Variation 3. B9 00 42 B9 20 42 C9 08
Variation 4. B9 00 42 B9 20 42 C9 09

Performance 1. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 00
Performance 2. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 01
Performance 3. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 02
Performance 4. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 03
Performance 5. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 04
Performance 6. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 05
Performance 7. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 06
Performance 8. B9 00 7A B9 20 00 C9 07

BMTP:
Incoming Port = Launchpad
Outgoing Port = BK7m
Swallow Incoming Midi Messages

BK7m:
BK7m Basic Channel = Channel 10

Hopefully that will give you a start.

Just looked a bit more, those are Bank select messages (most significant bit and lowest significant bit) followed by a program change.

In the BK-7m manual on page 90 they do list the program change numbers to send for each of the intro/ending/main/fillup/filldown as well as the performance list number selection also referenced in that post. Interesting stuff. :)

From the FR-4x manual, on selecting SETS and USER PROGRAMS....

This parameter allows you to set the basic MIDI channel.
The “Basic Channel” can be used for selecting Sets and User Programs from an external MIDI device (using CC00/CC32 (bank select) and PC (program change numbers)).
The CC00/CC32/PC which corresponds to select of SETs and User Programs is as follows.
Select “Off” if the part in question should neither receive nor transmit MIDI data.
SET: CC00 - 0, CC 32 - 0, PC 0-99 (1-100: Set Number)
UPG: CC 00 - 1, CC 32 0-6 (1-7: Bank), PC 0-13 (1-14: User Program Number)

I didnt find the part about selecting a register, though, although the FR-18 manual says that you just send:

CC 00 - 0, CC 32 - 0, PC - register number. (presumably on the channel of the part you are changing)

Oh, this is in the FR-4x MIDI IMPLEMENTATION chart... But it says they are not received unless you have External Seq. Playback turned on, in which case you cant play the instrument from the keyboard. Im almost positive I had tested the SET/UPG change and it worked while playing, but I dont think I had tested trying to set a specific register.

What is the start / stop mean? FA / FC ?
What kind of message is this?
With all the other program messages send out Bk-7m, it is
PC # minus 1, coming from the pedal. I will start a new topic refering to the airturn pedal usage in the next couple days. Hopefully video this pedal with Bk-7m in the next couple days...

A for the FR-4x, I did see how to change user programs and sets, but not the individual register within a set. But that note from the FR-18 manual for changing to a particular register looks identical to the FR-4x way to select a SET, so the FR-4x may not allow you to chose a particular register within a set. However, if you were going to automate things you would probably be using user programs anyway, as then you have everything set the way you want it, and those can be selected.

The other stuff is part of what I pasted in from the post on that other forum. Start/Stop are to start/stop the style (or song playback if you had a MIDI file loaded).

In the MIDI Implementation document for the BK-7m on page 5 they are listed in the System Realtime Messages section.

Start
FAH
*STYLE: ReceivedwhenSyncRXisOnandtheSyncModeStyleRX parameter (MIDI\Edit\System) is set to AUTO, MIDI or REMOTE.
* SONG: Received when Sync RX is On and the Sync Mode Song RX parameter (MIDI\Edit\System) is set to AUTO, MIDI or REMOTE

Stop
FCH
* STYLE:
* SONG:
Received when Sync RX is On and the Sync Mode Style RX parameter (MIDI\Edit\System) is set to AUTO, MIDI or REMOTE. Received when Sync RX is On and the Sync Mode Song RX parameter (MIDI\Edit\System) is set to AUTO, MIDI or REMOTE.
• When a “Stop” message is received, the Style or Song stops playing.

Not sure if the set up you are using allows you to send realtime messages or not. I haven't used them myself.

I've never bought one, but those MIDI Solutions Event Processor boxes probably could translate a program change command into one of those, and in hardware without needing an iPad with software/etc, but they aren't bluetooth. It's always something, so close and yet so far. LoL

n9yty said:
A for the FR-4x, I did see how to change user programs and sets, but not the individual register within a set. But that note from the FR-18 manual for changing to a particular register looks identical to the FR-4x way to select a SET, so the FR-4x may not allow you to chose a particular register within a set. However, if you were going to automate things you would probably be using user programs anyway, as then you have everything set the way you want it, and those can be selected.

The other stuff is part of what I pasted in from the post on that other forum. Start/Stop are to start/stop the style (or song playback if you had a MIDI file loaded).

In the MIDI Implementation document for the BK-7m on page 5 they are listed in the System Realtime Messages section.

Start
FAH
*STYLE: ReceivedwhenSyncRXisOnandtheSyncModeStyleRX parameter (MIDI\Edit\System) is set to AUTO, MIDI or REMOTE.
* SONG: Received when Sync RX is On and the Sync Mode Song RX parameter (MIDI\Edit\System) is set to AUTO, MIDI or REMOTE

Stop
FCH
* STYLE:
* SONG:
Received when Sync RX is On and the Sync Mode Style RX parameter (MIDI\Edit\System) is set to AUTO, MIDI or REMOTE. Received when Sync RX is On and the Sync Mode Song RX parameter (MIDI\Edit\System) is set to AUTO, MIDI or REMOTE.
• When a “Stop” message is received, the Style or Song stops playing.

Not sure if the set up you are using allows you to send realtime messages or not. I haven't used them myself.

I've never bought one, but those MIDI Solutions Event Processor boxes probably could translate a program change command into one of those, and in hardware without needing an iPad with software/etc, but they aren't bluetooth. It's always something, so close and yet so far. LoL

Midiflow allows to send a FC stop control. Remapped the last Airturn switch as follows: CC25=FC. First 5 switches in the Airturn app are programmed for PC# 0, 1, 8, 9, 83. (Main 1-4, ending). The last switch programmed for CC25. These are programmed in Airturn app. Note: The Bk-7m accepts pc# minus 1, ex. Main 1 is 01-1=0, Main 4 is 10-1=9. Will Try it on the gig tonight, once proved, will video. Another cable eliminated, yeah!? will start a new topic on this...

The Irig Blueboard is my go to pedal. The Airturn has been unreliable connecting and disconnecting from Bluetooth LE. Used the Blueboard on the last 2 gigs to control the Bk-7m wirelessly. Worked flawless. Tested and ready to get a video demo when I get a chance.

Would anyone be interested in using the Blueboard to control the V accordion? It may be possible with the Yamaha ud-bt01 plugged in the computer/device port of accordion. Would need midiflow ipad app to remap MIDI assignments. Blueboard board has 4 switches plus to addition ports to add a switch and a expression pedal. I would like to try, but may need some expertise on the expression pedal messages to send/receive on FR4x Roland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back