• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Try to Remember....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just wrote out this song list for an upcoming event....Title, key, first note....

How do you remember your set list?

Attachments

• 20180627_213528-1.jpg
    20180627_213528-1.jpg
    779.2 KB · Views: 967
When I used to gig as a keyboard player I had each piece on a single A4 sheet in a transparent plastic folder with notes, words, music etc. To assemble a playlist I would sort them into the desired order and clip them into a ring binder. I would then make a written playlist on paper to send around for the rest of the band.

I have just had a huge cleanup of my study now that I’ve retired and found a pile of playlists, some of which were 25 years old. After reminiscing, I chucked them in the bin.

Hello Tom,

I tend to play tunes just as they occur to me, though I do recognise the sound logic behind making a playlist. I prefer to be spontaneous and reactive, which I find to be more appropriate in most circumstances.

My books of (hand written) musical notations are always in my accordion case, as is my table-top music stand, but they are there mostly as a safety net in case of a musical meltdown.

The books mentioned above are school exercise books........ one red.......one blue..... one purple. I can reveal that each colour represents a different musical genre or theme, though I am not prepared to disclose my secret code. Even Brenda doesn't know my methodology, which is known only to myself and Secret Squirrel.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

You're brave Stephen! I also bring a book of music (like Glenn) in plastic sheets in a 3 ring binder, but play mostly by memory because it gives more interaction. I find it difficult to rely on just what occurs to me.

Though I may not always use the sheet music all the time, it is always there in front of me on my music stand. I also am one of those guys that when I do a small gig, I print out my music, place it in the order that I want and then make adjustments as needed. I also use it to keep notes on things such as V-Accordion settings and registers I want to use before I start playing.

Tom post_id=60621 time=1530153825 user_id=69 said:
I just wrote out this song list for an upcoming event....Title, key, first note....

20180627_213528-1.jpg

Here is my playlist. I Click on the song, PDF file opens. use iPad Pro , Songbook Plus App.
Before I got iPad, I used a laptop with the program called Music Reader 4.
If you look on the bottom right hand corner of the leadsheet, is the next song. Just click, it opens.
On the playlist you can add key, or other info you need to know...
And if you get lazy, use a Bluetooth pedal for next song, page turn, etc...Never have to touch iPad.

Attachments

• 817ECD3F-5E8C-45C5-964B-AF492BB11A8F.jpg
    817ECD3F-5E8C-45C5-964B-AF492BB11A8F.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 889
  • 1106B46A-D088-408C-BAE0-76140C00C6FD.jpg
    1106B46A-D088-408C-BAE0-76140C00C6FD.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 885
An iPad pro here in Canada is IMHO overpriced. Sure it would be nice but I find there are other things I would want before I go the iPad route... which I must admit, I one day will... but I won't be pleased with how much I need to spend. I normally like to go big or go home, and a 512gb version is like $1500. Just think, for less than what an iPad costs, I got a matched pair of sE4400a large diaphragm condenser mics, 2 cables, 2 mic stands and a Zoom F4 recorder... just crazy!

Hi Tom,

No, not brave, just confident that I always have a dozen or so tunes committed to memory. These tunes are the ones I rely on when it is getting late and I am getting tired. My colour-coded books see me through the early part of the evening, but I reach a point at which I chuck them back into the case, and just wing it for the remainder of the evening.

This rather cavalier attitude may seem alien to some, but my professional life has been all about discipline, structure and interminable rules and regulations. When I retired, Brenda and I had a deep and meaningful discussion about how we should conduct our retirement. We came to a mutual conclusion that we should do only what we want to do, and that it should be "fun." Success, at least to us, is measured only in how much fun we have managed to squeeze out of a day.

I am not a great accordionist; I am not even a good accordionist, but I am a fun accordionist. My goal is not perfection ..... it is fun.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

JerryPH post_id=60657 time=1530229631 user_id=1475 said:
An iPad pro here in Canada is IMHO overpriced. Sure it would be nice but I find there are other things I would want before I go the iPad route... which I must admit, I one day will... but I wont be pleased with how much I need to spend. I normally like to go big or go home, and a 512gb version is like $1500. Just think, for less than what an iPad costs, I got a matched pair of sE4400a large diaphragm condenser mics, 2 cables, 2 mic stands and a Zoom F4 recorder... just crazy!

Why wait! In your spare time, start making PDF prints of music. That is the biggest chore. That is what I did at the beginning, was first using Adobe PDF on my laptop, then bought the Music Reader 4. It took me about 40-80 hours, but would do maybe few songs a day. Took me a long time but first get the most important song files...then add later...

512 GB not necessary unless you are downloading 10,000+ mp3 files, pictures. PDF hardly take space. Those laptops with 360 screen conversion is another alternative. The most I used so far is 35GB, have 3000 PDF and bunch of MP3 for break music...
In my opinion, IPad is not a replacement for a PC yet. I think a PC or IPad is going to be the future for arranger replacement too. I am not sure what happened to varranger software? Never tried it but thought it a good idea.
Plug your keyboard or accordion audio into AD interface and away you go!

Keymn post_id=60662 time=1530233215 user_id=2502 said:
Why wait! In your spare time, start making PDF prints of music. That is the biggest chore. That is what I did at the beginning, was first using Adobe PDF on my laptop, then bought the Music Reader 4. It took me about 40-80 hours, but would do maybe few songs a day. Took me a long time but first get the most important song files...then add later...
Already started that a while back. and lots more et to come. I even have a small scanner that is powered via USB and fits in my laptop bag along with the laptop. Right mow my time is so tight, as I work 12 hour days and in the process of getting promoted, so more responsibilities.

512 GB not necessary unless you are downloading 10,000+ mp3 files, pictures. PDF hardly take space. Those laptops with 360 screen conversion is another alternative.
Or if you use the iPad for more things than just use for music, which I would do as well. That 512gb would get filled within a year, and then starts the culling and limiting the usage. Laptops are nice, but my taste in laptops is even more exotic (read even MORE expensive)... lol

I think a PC or IPad is going to be the future for arranger replacement too. I am not sure what happened to varranger software? Never tried it but thought it a good idea.
Plug your keyboard or accordion audio into AD interface and away you go!
The market has a looooooong way to go to replace my 2 arrangers... but I agree with that. One day compter-based arrangers will be the way to go.

I think that eventually I will go the tablet route, but probably Android because the iPad is so pricey and proprietary. I have an older one that I got years ago but I don't like or use it that much, mostly for iReal Pro as I mentioned in another post. A friend in my accordion club uses a large Android tablet pretty successfully for his sheet music and it seems to work pretty well.

Stephen Hawkins post_id=60658 time=1530230307 user_id=1440 said:
Hi Tom,

No, not brave, just confident that I always have a dozen or so tunes committed to memory. These tunes are the ones I rely on when it is getting late and I am getting tired. My colour-coded books see me through the early part of the evening, but I reach a point at which I chuck them back into the case, and just wing it for the remainder of the evening.

This rather cavalier attitude may seem alien to some, but my professional life has been all about discipline, structure and interminable rules and regulations. When I retired, Brenda and I had a deep and meaningful discussion about how we should conduct our retirement. We came to a mutual conclusion that we should do only what we want to do, and that it should be fun. Success, at least to us, is measured only in how much fun we have managed to squeeze out of a day.

I am not a great accordionist; I am not even a good accordionist, but I am a fun accordionist. My goal is not perfection ..... it is fun.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Hi Stephen,

I like your attitude! Im hoping to retire this year and I feel the same way. I love to play, restore, collect, watch and talk about accordions but I am far from a professional. Although I play somewhere once a month or so, its mostly benefits, or single occasions alone or with friends. I tried a regular restaurant gig this year but it didnt really work that well. I learned a lot though, and would try it again in a better situation.

Keymn post_id=60656 time=1530226568 user_id=2502 said:

20180627_213528-1.jpg

Here is my playlist. I Click on the song, PDF file opens. use iPad Pro , Songbook Plus App.
If you look on the bottom right hand corner of the leadsheet, is the next song. Just click, it opens.
And if you get lazy, use a Bluetooth pedal for next song, page turn, etc...Never have to touch iPad.

Cool setlist Keyman! Looks like you like the jazz standards. ☺

For strolling gigs I don't have a setlist and I'll play tunes from memory.

But I do keep an index card in my pocket to remind me of the titles and keys of songs in my memorized repertoire for whatever style the gig is. Then, when I can't think of a song to play next (which happens a lot!), I'll slip the card out and give it a subtle glance. "Oh, yeah! Marina... haven't played that one yet..."

For "sit down" gigs where I can read a chart, if there's a specific set order I'll just arrange the charts in that order. Then you just flip through it, beginning to end.

Thanks Jeff. When I have my book, I place the setlist inside the front cover where I can see it. I wonder if anyone tapes the list on top of the accordion.

Hi Tom,

I wish you every happiness in your upcoming retirement, and trust that you will squeeze every ounce of joy you can out of it.

Kids, career, mortgage and a host of other responsibilities have been properly and lovingly managed, but this time is ours to do with as we wish. This may sound a little selfish, but we have most certainly earned every minute of our dotage.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Tom post_id=60672 time=1530270066 user_id=69 said:
Keymn post_id=60656 time=1530226568 user_id=2502 said:

20180627_213528-1.jpg

Cool setlist Keyman! Looks like you like the jazz standards. ☺
It depends on the show. I can sort my songbook playlist by Genre too. Which I sometimes do. 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, polkas, waltzes, rumba, cha cha, etc. are all grouped in order by genre. Dance moods are hard to predict when performing gigs...
I think even though you do not have the PC or Ipad option today, why not start scanning you music into PDF files. Sometime down the road you may decide to use one. Believe me, I will never go back to paper!
See this playlist sample. Those numbers in parenthesis link to Songbook number to my Korg arranger. I preprogrammed to set the keyboard style for a particular song...also note some of the songs do not have a pdf file. That is because I know the song and do not need music or lyrics.
I can also put in the key, time signature, song info, artist on this page...

Attachments

• 091ED57C-CF9C-47B8-91B5-1FC010CDFC29.png
    091ED57C-CF9C-47B8-91B5-1FC010CDFC29.png
    663.7 KB · Views: 797
Good idea! Most of my songs are already in pdf because I make (sheet music) arrangements of just about everything I play. Because I generally don't find a single version I like, I combine elements of several that I find in books or online. The arranger you use seems very cool, and sounds good.

Tom post_id=60706 time=1530369845 user_id=69 said:
Good idea! Most of my songs are already in pdf because I make (sheet music) arrangements of just about everything I play. Because I generally dont find a single version I like, I combine elements of several that I find in books or online. The arranger you use seems very cool, and sounds good.

I do much the same thing, however I amalgamate them onto Musescore. That way when I find a segment that I like better, its easy to change. I then print them out and after practicing them until they become performance worthy, I encase them in plastic pages and store them alphabetically in a binder. The front of the binder contains an index with many sections to it. For example, I have The Second Waltz indexed in the Waltz, Russian, and Light Classical sections. Ive also made sections for medley arrangements. For example, Ive taken 4 or 5 of my favorite (or at least well received) French, Italian or 1940s tunes, and arranged them into one piece. If then, someone asks me to play a medley of French or whatever tunes, I have them already sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back