• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Transport woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guernseyman

Anyone had a bad experience when travelling by air with their P?..or car or trolley for that matter?

Looks like we're a lot of stay-at-homes {} :ugeek:

I've only travelled with accordion once by air (we had a Morris tour of the South of France last summer). I took my precious little Hohner Student as cabin luggage, having heard the horror stories about crushed musical instruments.

Even so called flight and hard cases are no real protection....................................the famoooose Cello player who did variations on a theme which was adoted by the South Bank Show used to book his cello a seat next to his.......nice if you have the dosh.....or like Anyanka, an instrument small enough to carry on as Hand luggage.

Guernseyman said:
Anyone had a bad experience when travelling by air with their P?..or car or trolley for that matter?

I have had bad experiences with trollies....usually in supermarkets and only accordion related if there happened to be Accordion Music on the supermarket sound system...........Ill just be going then... :oops:

I believe a 96 bass will fit as hand luggage - but check weight and case sizes against allowances as the limits vary by air line.

Suggestion someone made on an old forum: if it's too large to carry on, take it apart and see if the ends would separately be within limits. The bellows can go in the checked baggage, and if there's no alternative perhaps the right end, but checked baggage is not the place for an accordion bass machine. Gate checking is not the solution - I've had stuff horribly mangled out of a gate check.

Could you 'check' your Roland with confidence, say, well bubbled in its case?

A special thanks to jarvo for his input there. So I think when I pick up my new instrument, it'll be ferry from the island to the mainland and accordion safely in the back of the car.

Guernseyman said:
A special thanks to jarvo for his input there. So I think when I pick up my new instrument, itll be ferry from the island to the mainland and accordion safely in the back of the car.
Be careful, salt water and accordions are not good bed fellows.

I have checked one accordion with tape over the bass keys, bubble wrap and a standard hard case. It made it fine. It was not, however my main accordion so I was a little more brave. I just ordered a new organetto from Italy which I can only assume is flying here so I will hope it is packed well.

As it comes through customs I can hear "Agh Signor Organetto....did you pack these cases yourself?" :lol:

Would a Roland digital go through 'hold' luggage reasonably well packed without risk? With less risk?

I would not risk it .....I used a pair of motorcycle panniers (Krausers, which back in the day were the dogs dangly round things) once as luggage to fly Chicago to New York
......upon arrival one had been broken open ....at the hinges !!! The relevance of this is that these things are built of the same materials as so called "flight" cases.....Carry it on as hand luggage and wear three extra pairs of underwear if this means you can't then carry a suitcase........

jarvo said:
....Carry it on as hand luggage and wear three extra pairs of underwear if this means you cant then carry a suitcase........
Hey, after the last few good w/e BBQs I can hardly get in my trousers at all...never mind multiple pairs of undies on:lol:

urr....TMI ? is that like OMG,LOL or W(NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)....TMI please expand , curious....... :D

Too much information... The word 'commando' has been edited out :)

Soulsaver said:
Too much information... The word commando has been edited out :)
Now putting 2 and 2 together I think I know where the word commando would have been placed.
Thats what I call poor editing :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back