• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Too short back strap - help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

embers

Reaction score
With my recent purchase of the Sano Stereo Sixty, included were new, Italian-made leather shoulder straps with back strap. I have the shoulder straps adjusted okay, but need the back strap to stabilize everything. Each end of the back strap is riveted to a shoulder strap.

So with accordion off, I measured the back strap length with full extension of the buckle adjustment, and from rivet to rivet it is 15" long. Then I measured the gap with the accordion on. The back strap is 12" too short.

Do riveted back straps come in longer lengths, and in the total length of at least 27" which I need? I can provide the label info from this shoulder straps/back strap design if it would help. Finally, even if not a riveted design, are there back straps made at the 27" length? Thanks for any pointers to what is out there. ~Bob

My wife and I play a bass accordion where we both want to use the back strap but for me it is too short when it is right for my wife. The back strap has clips much like the ones found on backpacks. So I just made an "extension cord" by reusing a piece of strap and two clips from an old backpack (or conference bag, I forget). So my suggestion is to see whether you can create an extension while leaving the original backstrap halves in place.

http://www.accordionbackstrap.com/ has a 28" option. Ok, not riveted like you are asking, but maybe a viable alternative. I like mine and I think they get good reviews on this forum.

http://www.accordionbackstrap.com/ has a 28" option. Ok, not riveted like you are asking, but maybe a viable alternative. I like mine and I think they get good reviews on this forum.

I checked these out. Yes, could be a good alternative. I'd probably just remove the rivets completely. These are slipped on from the bottom of the shoulder straps, correct? Do yours stay fairly secure and not slide up or down? I like the 28" option you noted. The 2" width looks like a plus, too. Thanks for the recommendation. ~Bob

Hi Bob, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Yes, they slip on from the bottom (or the top] of the straps. Slippage can be a problem, but I solved it by placing the backstrap above the adjusting buckle on the shoulder straps. Your accordion may or not have these conveniently placed buckles. I went with the wider straps but I think each has its advantages. 15993547273777925823902176544353.jpg

Good luck, Tom

Last edited:
The picture helped a lot, Tom! It is what I thought it might look like. My shoulder straps do have the buckles like yours, and should slow the slippage. I've decided to try this back strap in the longer length and 2" width. Really appreciate your sending me the link for it. ~Bob

You're most welcome, Bob, hope they work. I think that the materials are pretty universal and you could get, for example, longer strap parts at a Local craft store if you need them. Although the plastic material works fine, I think if they were made from like canvas they would stay in place better.

I made a backstrap identical to Tom's for free, using a strap from a sports bag I had lying around. I just cut the strap at a suitable place and sewed the cut ends to make loops to slide over the straps. I find the "slippage" is handy because I can fasten the back strap low down in my back then slide it up to a convenient position

Congrats Pipe!

Hi Bob,

You probably have the job sorted out by now, but you may like to consider the following should you have similar problems in the future.

When I have had problems with the straps on my instruments, I have taken them to a local Cobbler. He enjoyed the challenge of repairing something other than shoes, and did a very neat repair.

The last time I went to him, I think he charged me about £3 for his services. That was a few years ago now, and the job he did is still perfect.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Saddlers also enjoy a challenge ( saddlers being more common than cobblers in my area) ?

Hi Dingo,

A very fair point ...... I'm sure that Saddlers could tackle this kind of job just as well as Cobblers.

It is really just a question of thinking outside the box. My car mechanic fixed a bracket on one of my boxes, as he possessed the transferable skills necessary for such a simple repair.

Cobblers, Saddlers or Motor Mechanics, they all have skills which may help you to have some jobs on your instrument done locally and while you wait. I do not recommend that these people should be allowed to do the more complicated work on accordions, but they should be fine for the type of work under discussion.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

@Stephen Hawkins , @Dingo40

Appreciate the suggestions, Gentlemen.

Stephen, no, I haven't got this sorted out yet. I had forgotten about the option of working with a cobbler. A number of years ago while living in another state, I had a cobbler's help with an out-of-the-box project. It did turn out well.

Dingo, since I live in a metro area, I've not seen any saddleries, so that wasn't on my radar. On the net I just found one a fair distance south of me, and their website shows a variety of leather products made there. It would probably be worth the jaunt to have my straps system looked at.

With either option of help, a hand-made leather back strap should easily last for years. Thanks. ~Bob

Final decision. Two saddlers I contacted did not get back to me. Maybe the project was too small, or else they are quite busy.

So I talked with Elena at Accordion Back Strap in NJ, and she said she'd make a custom-order strap for me. She was helpful. The shipping was quick, and the strap is made exactly to order. I cut the original leather back strap ends off and left the nice-looking rivets in place. The new back strap fit easily onto the accordion, and ready to try at my next practice session. Many thanks for all your posts! ~Bob

Congrats, Bob! Glad it worked out for you . I'm curious, what custom mod did you need on the straps?

The original leather back strap that came with the Sano was too short leaving a 12" gap. The longest length of the Accordion Back Strap barely covered the gap. So Elena made one with an overall length, which was more than I needed. I have plenty of adjustment to work with now. And as I said, she was helpful and easy to work with. I'd recommend her service and product to anyone. ~Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back