• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Titano "Bass Musette"?

KiwiSqueezer

Reaction score
I'm the first to admit that I don't know much about accordions, but I thought I was getting to grips with the ideas behind musette tuning(s).

Some time ago, I asked the forum about what I termed 'pseudo-musette' tuning, with reeds not exactly an octave apart. I was thinking about an LMH reed set, with appropriately sharpened H reeds. The idea was greeted with some scepticism. Now, however, it seems that something like it made it into production.

Titano Bass Musette 1.jpg

This accordion must be rather unusual. It presumably has LMM reeds; it provides 'musette' voices by M1M2 ("fr. muset" - French musette?), LM1M2 ("accordion"), which seem conventional enough, but then there is what I take to be LM2 ("bass muset") - which seems to be the 'pseudo-musette' idea, and then M2 on its own ("melodeon"), which is, I believe, quite unusual.

Is this as unusual as I think? Any ideas or comments? What type of music would this have been aimed at?

As I replied previously, this was, in fact, a thing that PANcordion tried. I presume it was an attempt to achieve something like a musette whilst saving the expense and weight of a 4 reed accordion. It evidently never took off, and for good reason. I've never seen a Titano with this "feature", but I believe PANcordion and Titano were either made by the same people, or connected in some other way that someone more knowledgeable about the history can elucidate.

I always find the register names used by the various manufacturers (in this case “bass musette”) to be inconsistent and confusing. My guess is that the so-called “bass musette” registration is simply a combination of the L reed set and the detuned M reed set.

My understanding of the “pseudo” musette setting is that it is generally the MMH setting, which would typically only be available on a wet-tuned LMMH instrument.

Last edited:
I agree the register identified as bass mussette appears to be L and M+ and I have had instruments with this combination and found it a register I avoided because to me it just sounds unpleasant and out of tune.

As others have said, this appears to be an LMM with every possible reed combination represented in the switches, instead of just the usual 5 most common ones. The PANcordion with what I dubbed "pseudo-musette" was an LMH with a switch mechanism designed to open the slides halfway in some registers to create an detuned effect.

Back