• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Tico tico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Very slick!??
( click " watch on YouTube ")
And another:
OK, OK, one last one more:

Last edited:
Thanks, Dingo, very talented and virtuosic, but I still prefer the mellow approach. Maybe I'm just another old fa*t, I don't know.

Or maybe something jazzy jazzy:

Last edited:
I believe Tico Tico was made popular by Ethel Smith on the Hammond Organ in the '40's/50's. I don't remember the movie, but she played the Hammond in the movie.

John M.

Last edited:
Actually, on further listening, Ms Alicia Jo Straka plays and sings very well ??
Of course, tastes vary, and we are all entitled to our own preferences: one person's style won't suit everyone!?
Thanks for sharing, Tom ?

Thanks Art! Hmmmm, maybe like a person sings without the benefit of $20,000 worth of engineer with his/her chorus, reverb, flange, compress, etc. to make them sound like everyone else? Could be a welcome relief some days.

no offense but that lady singing Autumn Leaves is just the worst

that typical fake airy singer songwriter voice they all put up: dreadful!!
Alicia is formerly known as Alicia Baker. She's quite accomplished and was the face of Roland USA regarding the Roland V accordions. I feel that she's quite a good vocalist and know from past experience that singing while playing any instrument let alone the accordion is exceedingly difficult. We all have our pet complaints regarding vocalists and agree that it's not her strongest suit, I wish that I could play and sing half as well. I'm not trying to start an argument, rather saying that we should give credit where it's due.

Lots of Tico Tico on YouTube

Just my opinion, but many are overdone...trying to display technique vs style.

My favorite is this one...I put out a youtube video sort of based on his style

Nothing like Tico Tico played by brazilian musicians, most of others just want to show off technic and speed but lack the real flavor of this melody and its cadence. Myron Floren was a genius but I don't care for his Tico Tico, however the second video (Oleg Baksheev) is very interesting because its arrangement and variations. I really prefer Chico Justino, Sivuca, Dominguinho and many other great accordionists from Brazil when I feel like Tico Tico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back