• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Those were the days, my friends!

Dingo40

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Guys, guys, guys, will we ever see the like again?
A 1957 Miss America semifinalist playing the accordion as her talent !
Just listen to the compere's introduction!πŸ™‚

Reaction score
How times have changed! I rather suspect that the electric guitar may have replaced the accordion as the instrument that most children would like to have. Rock 'n roll was just becoming a "thing" in 1957 😁.

AccordionUprising

Reaction score
Yeah, 1957 was right on the tipping point. I've seen numbers that 1952 was the peak for imports, and saw a thing from the Gretch guitar company saying '56 was their peak for sales. After that it was all downhill. As sales of new instruments fell, all the other infrastructure of schools, sheet-music, repair shops fell with it. By 1970s the industry seems to have been marginalized. They didn't seem to have seen what was coming, and didn't adapt to it when challenges arose.

NickC

Reaction score
I hear guitarists today talking about how turntables and drum machines are taking over the music industry.
I would have to believe that, outside of the US, the accordion is still one of the most popular instruments. Conjunto in Mexico, bal-musette in France, merengue tipico in The Dominican Republic, filuzzi in Italy, cajun, zydeco, Irish traditional, vallenato, baiao, tango, schottische, waltz, tejano, polka, saltarello, etc.
I'm not sure any of those are as universally popular as rock guitar music, but the fans are very much invested in the music. It's almost like a lifestyle.