• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Those symbols again!

Dingo40

Prolific poster
Reaction score
A while ago, someone asked what the various symbols adjoining the headings of the threads actually meant. I remember he was treated to some ribaldry but, on rereading the thread, very little information.
I guess the reddish symbols indicate unread posts? But what are the flames, and the unread posts within unread posts?
Please forgive my ignorance, but they were still fighting WW2 before I started school<EMOJI seq="1f642">?</EMOJI>

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not entirely sure, but yes black = no unread posts in the thread and red = there are unread posts in the thread. I think it only means there are new posts since you last visited the thread. As multiple posts appear on one page the server does not actually know which posts you read. Posts always to from oldest to newest so when there are 6 pages of posts the newest are on page 6. However, when you view the board index or the "active topics" list they are listed from newest to oldest so the new topics are then on page 1. It can get confusing.
The flame just means there are many posts in the thread.
Other than this I don't know. There are "tooltips" that appear when you hover (the mouse) over the icons. I don't know how that works on a mobile device though.

Dingo40

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Thanks, Debra, that does cover most of it!<EMOJI seq="1f642">?</EMOJI><EMOJI seq="1f44d">?</EMOJI>