• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Thigh pads? use 'em? Make or buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
High one or 2 of my accordions have the strap anchor on the bottom and it digs in your thigh when playing, seated, for any length and becomes uncomfortable. Do you use anything?
I've seen pads with a velcro strap to attach to your thigh for protection.
Are they any good?

Oo yes, I have this problem! I've put a small cushion there in the past, or I just stand up.

Put a bit of fat on your thighs. Works for me. :)

Hi Ed; If your playing the accordion properly the accordion should never touch your legs or thighs. If you observe professional accordionists that are seated while playing you will see the accordion is at lest 1 to 3 in. from their legs. A stool or drum throne is the solution. I've been using a drummers throne for the last 40 years. JIM D.

Mmmmm. I've seen plenty of top accordionists on youtube that use their leg to support their accordion in all sorts of ways. Even to the stage of allowing the bellows to drape over their thigh during long extensions. Of course it shouldn't be massivly balancing on your thigh and sitting up straight is a good idea whether you are wearing an accordion or not.
By the way, most accordions have the bottom bracket at the back, not underneath. Odd if it's underneath. Bound to dig in then.

JIM D. said:
Hi Ed; If your playing the accordion properly the accordion should never touch your legs or thighs. If you observe professional accordionists that are seated while playing you will see the accordion is at lest 1 to 3 in. from their legs. A stool or drum throne is the solution. Ive been using a drummers throne for the last 40 years. JIM D.

I not only have it on my thigh but the bigger ones have to slope to stop me feeling like Im hiding behind it... :)
So, funnily its not them though - Ive noticed mostly with my 96 bass Guerrini Oxford which I like to play, but is the one that digs in.

Glenn said:
By the way, most accordions have the bottom bracket at the back, not underneath. Odd if its underneath. Bound to dig in then.
I do have a couple of Hohners with it on the back.. all my others- even Rolands - have them on the bottom.

1. I too have come across several with the bracket on the bottom

2. I agree in principle with Jim D re keeping a gap between box and leg and that so to do you need to sit upright so the upper part of the body is same as when standing I,e sit to attention!. However there are to my mind two reasonable exeptions to the Rule' Those with long box and short body may find it impossible and those suffering from knackerdness eg angina, rheumatism in shoulders etc may welcome some weight being taken by the knee anad that's fine if it helps them to continue playing.

3. some sort of cushion or thigh pad can stop a box from causing numbness in the thigh and prevent damage to the trousers.

4. perhaps short bodied gentlemen with long boxes should also consider some for of protection for the private parts as some look to be moving the bellows within millimetres of an impending disaster!

george

Big thighs is the other variable, George.. but keeps the box away from the sensitive bits.

Hi Glenn; Yes, most button type boxes over the past 60 years have the shoulder strap brackets on the back of the instrument. On a button box the hand will position the treble side of the accordion so that the bellows tape will not rub on the body and wear from body contact. 97% of the P/A's made in the past have the brackets on the bottom as not to interfere with the backpad needed for bellows wear. Today 99% of all quality makes of button and P/A's have the brackets on the bottom. JIM D.

Hi Jim,

Maybe there is a nomenclature issue on what constitutes bottom.
I have 4 accordions, one less than a year old, and all have the bottom bracket low on the body but at the back, not underneath.
I attach a picture to illustrate.
Perhaps in Europe they attach them typically at the back whilst in the US it's traditional to have them underneath.
I fear however we are talking at cross purposes as I do know my 1980 Hohner once had the attachment brackets at the back in the middle and these were later moved (or so it appears from the marks on the body and the carefully cut holes in the protective back pad).

Attachments

• accordion bracket.jpg
    accordion bracket.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,335
My accordion has a bracket like the one on the picture but it's mouted on the bottom; I also have a backpad and thick leather straps. Although I almost always play sitting down with the instrument definitely resting on my left leg, and I've never noticed any digging in, even just now with no trousers - never had any lessons so no idea if my posture could be improved (though I imagine any good teacher would probably suggest that I start by putting my trousers back on).

simonking said:
Ive never noticed any digging in, even just now with no trousers

The mind boggles..... :shock:

I use a piece of leather about 1/8 " thick, rawhide on both sides, works to cushion the weight and helps keep the accordion from moving around while playing. A piece about 8 x 10 works well.

mine are underneath and on top and don't have diggin in problems but could be the way it sits on me - never seen it on the back personally

i thought sitting down was when you rest it on your left leg and standing is when you dont

lesson 1 of sedlon shows standing and sitting positions

with sitting it says place on left knee - and with corner resting against inner thigh will support it further

maybe recommendations have changed over the yrs as this is an old book

I have to ask this question but why do some accordion manufacturers place them underneath.? They are bound to get in the way of your leg and the leather of the straps has to bend around the bottom of the box.Maybe I am missing something here.

simonking said:
Ive never noticed any digging in, even just now with no trousers

The mind boggles..... :shock:[/quote]

that should carry a government health warning concerning damage to ones digeridoo!

george

Glenn said:
I have to ask this question but why do some accordion manufacturers place them underneath.? They are bound to get in the way of your leg and the leather of the straps has to bend around the bottom of the box.Maybe I am missing something here.

fair question which i dont know the answer too but figure there is one

<COLOR color=#00BF00>i have had 2 instances of straps breaking which i am fairly certain this bending around the box helped cause in varying <COLOR color=#00FF00>degrees

actually i think a modern bravo i had had it on the back - i prev said had never seen this -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back