• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

The story of a used Roland FR-1x

John M

Active member
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 7, 2018
Messages
111
Reaction score
24
Location
Medina, Ohio - USA
In a video I saw by Dale Mathis of Crown Accordion, he had a problem with some USB sticks. I don't remember what the brands were. I have used a SanDisk 16 GB with no problem. It is way more memory than you need but a 2 Gb stick was harder for me to find. The SanDisk worked right out of the package (no formatting needed). The only thing a did was to make a "clean" disk and erased all the files that came on the disk. I think they were "security" type files. Here is a link to the disk:


John M.
 

Andy

Newbie
Joined
May 9, 2021
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Blackpool, Lancs, UK
Thanks guys for the help and advise re my second hand FR-1x Piano Accordian.
I have reset the bellows as suggested and it appears to have cured the unbalance problem.
I have ordered a 16Gig pen drive so fingers crossed it will work ok.
As soon as the the pendrive comes, I will have a go at loading the optional sounds.

Really enjoying the forum, lots of info, links, and advise.

Andy
 

Valski

Active member
Joined
Mar 2, 2021
Messages
153
Reaction score
110
Location
Oakville Ontario Canada
New forum user looking for information on a recently purchased FR-1x. Sorry if I'm using the wrong forum.

I used to play standard accordians many yrs ago but sold them after moving home as I didn't want to upset the new neighbours!
I have a couple of questions.

1. The sound level seems louder when closing the bellows than when opening them. Are there two sensors for pressure? Could there be a faulty one? Anyone have similar experiences?

2. I am going to buy a USB pendrive to upload/download files but can't find any info on the maximum storage limit for the instrument.

3 Can the Roland sound extension files (Alpine, Dallape & Orchestra ) be played direct from the USB drive or do they have to be loaded into the instrument to function?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies
Welcome Andy,

Congratulations on your purchase, the bit about using the Roland USB drive is a bit of a marketing scheme. These devices cost $79 CAD from Roland when the equivalent size drive would cost about $4 if you could find one. Apparently there is no difference between the Roland branded USB and other brands in their ability to handle data, the only thing that you need to be aware of is that peculiarly shaped devices may not fit into the little cavity for the stick. I use a 16MB USB drive as this appears to be the maximum that the accordion will be able to read. Buy a good quality product and I like to use the type which has a flashing light built in which works when it's reading and writing.
 

Keymn

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2017
Messages
897
Reaction score
66
My Fr1x will be here Monday…Can’t wait. I too bought it for the fun of playing a smaller accordion…
 

jozz

Prolific poster
Joined
Nov 7, 2017
Messages
1,540
Reaction score
265
Location
The Netherlands
I know you will like it

in preparing music it's fast becoming the only thing I touch before actual performance - finishing touches I do on the Bugari only because of the keywidth difference
 

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
3,149
Reaction score
187
Location
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
In a video I saw by Dale Mathis of Crown Accordion, he had a problem with some USB sticks. I don't remember what the brands were. I have used a SanDisk 16 GB with no problem. It is way more memory than you need but a 2 Gb stick was harder for me to find. The SanDisk worked right out of the package (no formatting needed). The only thing a did was to make a "clean" disk and erased all the files that came on the disk. I think they were "security" type files. Here is a link to the disk:


John M.
Abut 2 years ago I wrote THIS article that explains things about why some work and why some do not. 99% of all fails are due to not being formatted properly and staying under a certain size. The other 1% are drives with physical damage or at the end of their lifespans.
 

Keymn

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2017
Messages
897
Reaction score
66
Abut 2 years ago I wrote THIS article that explains things about why some work and why some do not. 99% of all fails are due to not being formatted properly and staying under a certain size. The other 1% are drives with physical damage or at the end of their lifespans.
As far as usb sticks, these are recommended by Roland…I purchased a couple 32gb…they look same as the Roland brands which I think they just the name on it. They fit snug as far and seem more durable then San Disk…
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

Top