• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

the joy of learning accordion!

rootsong

Reaction score
Hi folks! I'm new here. A friend gave me their old accordion a couple of years ago and I taught myself a bit, but just in the last few months I've been taking lessons and am loving it so much.

I look forward to practice every day and am delighted to see the progress I'm making. My bass major scales which at first made my brain feel like it was exploding are now flowing effortlessly and my fingers are becoming one with the layout more and more...

I'm a singer and songwriter in Toronto, Canada. I'll share some things one day when I'm ready. :) I'm accompanying myself with accordion for a few songs now and it's feeling great. I hope in time for it to become one of two primary instruments (tenor ukulele being the second).

Yay!

Last edited:
I'm a singer and songwriter in Toronto, Canada. I'll share some things one day when I'm ready. :) I'm accompanying myself with accordion for a few songs now and it's feeling great. I hope in time for it to become one of two primary instruments (tenor ukulele being the second).

@rootsong I think you've got the right idea, being a singer, songwriter and ukuleleist who can play a bit of accordion. Very individual and cool.

Welcome Roots, it's wonderful to hear that playing accordion is giving you a lot of joy and hopefully will give you more joy in the future. Toronto's a big place and sometimes a geographical approximation, which part are you from? If you're performing it might be interesting to catch a show. 🪗 😀

Welcome Roots, it's wonderful to hear that playing accordion is giving you a lot of joy and hopefully will give you more joy in the future. Toronto's a big place and sometimes a geographical approximation, which part are you from? If you're performing it might be interesting to catch a show. 🪗 😀
I live downtown :) I'll be sure to share any upcoming shows. I performed a bit in my 20s (mid 30s now), but after some life challenges I've just slowly been finding my way again. For the moment I've been busking and building up my set. Hoping to play some gigs by the end of the summer. I got offered one on my first day out this year!! The owner of Drom Taberna on Queen saw me play on the street. So that bodes well :)

Back