• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

The evolution of a music video

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ive not had much time to practice or play, and so in truth, my abilities have dropped a good amount, but that doesnt stop me from expanding my mind and learning a bit of videography.

Ive recently made an entry on my website on my website and called it Recording Tips and Techniques, where I pour out the contents of my mind and talk about how I make my videos and some concepts that I use... however its kind of evolved in to a display of how I made music videos at this point in my education, with lots of what I think is good info that I wanted to share.

Basically in a under 3 minute video we get to see and hear the 5 basic phases of a single camera video and hear Ed rip through a beautiful song.  

The 5 parts are:
1 - basic captured video with audio from the camera mic
2 - color grading the video
3 - synching the basic Zoom F4 audio
4 - mastering that audio
5 - adding a little bit of animation to the video

[video=youtube]
Best results are heard using headphones, and video is not the highest quality, I just exported a 720P file, so it wont look good on a 4K, 27 screen but should look good at the 720P size.

If you want to read the complete post, [font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]you can read all about it by clicking on this link[/font].

JerryPH pid=64957 dateline=1556151245 said:
Ive not had much time to practice or play, and so in truth, my abilities have dropped a good amount, but that doesnt stop me from expanding my mind and learning a bit of videography.

Ive recently made an entry on my website on my website and called it Recording Tips and Techniques, where I pour out the contents of my mind and talk about how I make my videos and some concepts that I use... however its kind of evolved in to a display of how I made music videos at this point in my education, with lots of what I think is good info that I wanted to share.

Basically in a under 3 minute video we get to see and hear the 5 basic phases of a single camera video and hear Ed rip through a beautiful song.  

The 5 parts are:
1 - basic captured video with audio from the camera mic
2 - color grading the video
3 - synching the basic Zoom F4 audio
4 - mastering that audio
5 - adding a little bit of animation to the

[video=youtube]
Best results are heard using headphones, and video is not the highest quality, I just exported a 720P file, so it wont look good on a 4K, 27 screen but should look good at the 720P size.

If you want to read the complete post, [font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]you can read all about it by clicking on this link[/font].

Hey, what do I know, Jerry, but it’s all good!

Thanks Jerry, you're the best. Someday I would like to try all this...

I'm interested to try some split screen stuff... Any ideas on SIMPLE software...
Just want to put box in one of the corners
Thanks

losthobos pid=64967 dateline=1556209411 said:
Im interested to try some split screen stuff... Any ideas on SIMPLE software...
Just want to put box in one of the corners
Thanks

To be completely honest Terry, it is not all that much more complex to do split-screen on high-end software than it is to do on the low-end software.  First off, I am a PC user, so I dont know about Apple software, but once you have the basics, you have the basics, and a split-screen video is more on the advanced side of things.

That said, my choice for lowest to highest:
3 - Filmora
2 - Pinnacle Studio
1 - Davinci Resolve (free version)

#3 and #2 are relatively cheap software that are easy to use.  I would NOT use any high end 1080P or 4K footage with #3 and #2 as they all have issues handling it efficiently unless you have a more recent (read more powerful) computer.  Davinci Resolve can be used on even mid-level laptops and can work well with big 4k files using what is called Proxies.

Davinci Resolve is a pro level software, a touch harder to learn... but there is a FREE version and there are tons of tutorials out there on YouTube.  This is the software I used to make my green-screen/split-screen video.

I went from Pinnacle Studio to Premiere Pro to Davinci Resolve but I am at the point that my cameras shoot larger 4K files and I needed an app that could support editing them.

Just to help you make a decision:

How to do split screen in Filmora:

How to do split screen in Pinnacle Studio:

How to do split screen in Davinci Resolve:
[video=youtube]
[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]Just a place to start from.  :)[/font]

PS. I just learned that we are not allowed to post more than 1 video per message, thats a bit of a bad choice, like in this post, or if someone wanted to make a post with a series of videos of the same topic, it would have to be spread out amongst multiple posts.

Thanks Jerry... Appreciated... I'm away a few days now but will check out upon return.. Cheers

looks good Jerry!

are you going to add a second camera? that would make it awesome

I most definitely am going to do multi camera setups. The challenge thère is the background. Too much to the side and I am off my backdrop and showing my Bowflex. .. lol

Doing splitscreen sis possible but requires 4 or 6 large video clips per project adding complexity. A couple of my videos already use 2 cameras but now that I have two 4k cameras it is going to be if higher quality. I think my best video is either going to be in a big indoor space like a church or outdoors. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back