• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

The Destiny Waltz

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxplayer4000

Prolific poster
Reaction score
I am a latecomer to this fantastic waltz which was published in 1912 by Sydney Baynes in London. It was through a bit of research for a tune to play with a sequence dance called ‘ The Destiny Waltz’ that I came across it. It seems the tune is much more popular in places such as Europe and Russia that it is in its country of origin. It’s only by listening to to these online versions I have obtained the music and likewise the main chord structure. In the final bars of the third part I have deviated a little from standard chords simply to make it a bit more accordion left hand friendly and hopefully not losing too much of the tune’s flavour.
Alongside other middle European waltzes of the Vienna/Strauss period I think it holds its own. In the first part of the tune, in key of D, in bar 13 the bass/chord is F which is normally quite far removed from the key of D. However the effect is stunning and very inspired composing. The only other tune which comes to mind with this chord jump is in Lara’s Theme in the film Doctor Zhivago which followed 53 years after ‘destiny’.

Nice waltz, but there is something not quite right in the recording, and it's a matter of bellows technique. The notes sound a bit "asthmatic" (for lack of a better word. Not smooth, but as if the bellows is kinda shaking with every note. Maybe it's a problem with a digital box? I think it would be harder to make it sound this way with an acoustic, certainly with a heavier acoustic.

Debra,
The accordion is not digital (I don't own a digital one though the bass is midied digital). I notice some of the contacts in the bass are starting to bounce and its time they had a service. I admit my bellows technique lacks something and is probably partly due to the fact I have had no lessons or training on the accordion or any other sort of instrument. I am totally self-taught in both music and on the instrument. Thankfully my bellows technique has been no bar to be regularly employed (mostly weekly) in well rewarded musical situations, until COVID came along. While playing bass runs with the left hand it's difficult to keep the bellows action smooth as the bass reeds take most of the air and the treble reeds are starved.
As well as proper training in bellows technique a minimum level of physical fitness is also required. In my 79th year, though relatively fit, I do concede that age may be starting to creep in.
Thanks anyway for your comments. Be thankful you were in later generation who had better opportunities.

Nice choice of waltz.. Thanks
Another tune that contains this leap to F from the key of D is The Way You Look Tonight which jumps from a fairly normal 6'2'5'1 progression in D up to F for the middle 8. As you say an unexpected treat for the ears
Keep em coming youngster....

Nice waltz, Box, thanks. Vaguely reminds me of Blue Skirt for some reason.

That was enjoyable nostalgia - do I remember it from Old Time Dances?
Anyway, thanks - don't think I've come across the mid-section before.

Thanks all for responding.
lost hobos: The Way You Look Tonight I do know but it never got into my repertoire. When I did use tunes for Foxtrot/Slow Foxtrot situations the more contemporary dancers seemed to connect better with some of the more 'modern' material such a Jim Reeves etc. I've just watched Fred Astaire again, sing 'The Way You Look' and it must be an age thing right enough ............. its fantastic.
tom: I don't know Blue Skirt but I'll check it out.
dunlustin: It was through a Sequence Dance situation that I came to the tune. (Is there a difference between Sequence Dance and Old Time Dance?) From memory it was on an Australian website demonstrating the dance steps but they were not using the tune of the same name ie. Destiny, but another tune called 'The Harbour Lights'.

Boxplayer,
A fine tune well played ??
It seems familiar somehow, although I couldn't have named it.

Thanks again for the link to the music. I’ve tried to make it clearer and more legible for anybody interested in getting a hard copy on A4 paper. I’ve also included the copy I made from listening to online sources a few years ago and what I used to try and make the recording at the head of this Thread. It is noted on the official music that the third part is in B flat but online versions I listened to had it in G.

Note: My files are apparently too big for the system so I will try and reduce them and return later.

2nd try at uploading music. Much reduced files which I hope remain legible and useable.

Attachments

• Destiny1b.jpg
    Destiny1b.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Destiny2b.jpg
    Destiny2b.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Destiny3b.jpg
    Destiny3b.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Destiny4b.jpg
    Destiny4b.jpg