• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

The Dark Island

vivdunstan

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Over the moon to manage a little accordion play, finally on day 10 of flu on top of being severely immunosuppressed! Was definitely struggling with my right hand at times, but I did have some fun plays, mainly my own arrangements, including here The Dark Island. I used to play this as a very young player learning from Bill Sharp in Selkirk in the Scottish Borders. Though a simpler version then. I arranged it from my memory by ear, and added extra harmonies. Today I was playing it on my 72 bass Paolo Soprani I got from Clinkscales in 1981.

Well done vivdunstan (y)
This makes a nice arrangement if you play the first part slowly and with feeling on a single reed, then bring in the 2nd reed on the 2nd part at proper tempo.
Ps, is J.T.Forbes still going in Dundee?
That's where Sir Jimmy Shand first worked.

This makes a nice arrangement if you play the first part slowly and with feeling on a single reed, then bring in the 2nd reed on the 2nd part at proper tempo.
Ps, is J.T.Forbes still going in Dundee?

Thanks! Nice suggestion.

I think JT Forbes closed some years ago. If I remember correctly in its later years it was near the university on the Nethergate. I think where it used to be - and I did go in there several times - is now a Dr Noodles takeaway shop.

Thanks! Nice suggestion.

I think JT Forbes closed some years ago. If I remember correctly in its later years it was near the university on the Nethergate. I think where it used to be - and I did go in there several times - is now a Dr Noodles takeaway shop.
Sacriledge :(

Back