• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Tex-Mex CBA???

Waldo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is the guy in orange playing a Gabbanelli CBA or is that a 5-Row diatonic with a Stradella bass?
Don't think I've seen a CBA used in Border Music before (or a 5-row diatonic, for that matter).
I need to know this kind of stuff now....

Press on....
Waldo

Chrisrayner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
He appears to be playing mostly on the draw with swift use of the air button to close the bellows. This is typical of diatonic technique. It does look like a CBA though, and I can’t pick out its sound amid the rest of the band.

mlineguy

Reaction score
He appears to be playing mostly on the draw with swift use of the air button to close the bellows. This is typical of diatonic technique. It does look like a CBA though, and I can’t pick out its sound amid the rest of the band.
I’m pretty sure thats a CBA, David Lee Garza also uses CBA in his conjunto music. Mexican “Norteño” and Texan “Tejano/Conjunto” (to the untrained ear both styles sound almost identical although many Mexicans and Texans swear that they’re very distinct styles) players like playing on the draw no matter the type of accordion used.

Waldo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
mlineguy,

SUPRISE!....followed up on your post and guess what... It is Garza!

So it is a CBA. I'm taking up DBA and have been at it for a month and a half now. Probably the toughest part so far has been the bellows reversal thing (not so much the reversal, but when to). Interestingly enough, the problem manifests most severely when going back to CBA. It's really quite comical to find myself "jamming" the bellows closed, without thought.
Are you a DBA player? Interested in border music?

Check out Santiago Jimenez, Jr and Joel Guzman trading licks and having fun.
Unfortunately, the Bajo Sexto is way too loud for my tastes, somewhat covering the accordions.
Still good stuff.

Last edited: