• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Surrey/Hampshire area PA Teacher/mentor

Redcap

Reaction score
Hi...I'm new to the Forum....and having recently retired I'm revisiting my relationship with my piano accordion after too many years of not opening the case ! All things considered, I'm 'reasonably' pleased with still being able to play some recognisable music (to me at least !)...I'm getting back into regular practising, however, my playing ability has definitely plateaued, so to make some real progress I think I need to find a teacher/mentor who can help with yet unlearned techniques...and overall improvement etc...can anyone recommend anyone please.... a tutor ideally in the Hants/Surrey area....or possibly via zoom even? Thanks.

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome Red! Glad to see you are returning to the chosen fold. Good luck with finding that elusive teacher. I hope you find great joy regardless with your accordion.

Redcap

Reaction score
Cheers Tom, appreciate the welcome....and also taking the opportunity to persuade my wife that an upgrade of my accordion would of course improve my playing !! She didn't seem convinced...!

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cheers Tom, appreciate the welcome....and also taking the opportunity to persuade my wife that an upgrade of my accordion would of course improve my playing !! She didn't seem convinced...!
I would recommend a positive response to that new refrigerator/pair of shoes/mountain vacation she's been considering.....

David A

Reaction score
Hi Redcap, and welcome. I see you're in Farnham. I used to live in Box Hill but have now moved to Wales. I'd definitely suggest contacting The Accordion Shop in Sunningdale. Their accordion guy, Steve, is very approachable. I bought my first accordion from them just before we moved but I would have asked them about lessons if we weren't moving away. Good luck with the playing - I'm sure your music is considerably more "recognisable" than some of mine!

Redcap

Reaction score
Hi David...thanks...I've been to the Sunningdale shop some years ago...but yes, maybe its time for a revisit !!
Enjoy Wales, that's a good move from Box Hill - although that's a nice area too.
My playing ambition remains frustratingly higher than my playing ability...;)

Valski

Reaction score
Hi...I'm new to the Forum....and having recently retired I'm revisiting my relationship with my piano accordion after too many years of not opening the case ! All things considered, I'm 'reasonably' pleased with still being able to play some recognisable music (to me at least !)...I'm getting back into regular practising, however, my playing ability has definitely plateaued, so to make some real progress I think I need to find a teacher/mentor who can help with yet unlearned techniques...and overall improvement etc...can anyone recommend anyone please.... a tutor ideally in the Hants/Surrey area....or possibly via zoom even? Thanks.
Hello and welcome,

Accordion teachers are probably not easy to find in some places and I would like to suggest something that might improve your playing even when you can't find a teacher. Do you have any friends or acquaintances who play an instrument who you might be able to jam with? Playing with other musicians can improve your skills and musicality because you are interacting with others who are perhaps more skilled and this will definitely lead to better results.

I have some friends who play various instruments and it's amazing how much you can pick up by just playing some songs together. You will get instant feedback from hearing another musician and it might even result in regular sessions which makes playing any instrument a lot more fun. We all want to pick up our accordion and playing a complex piece effortlessly but that takes a heavy investment in time and effort and if it turns into something regular it might grow into a nice social event with more participants and even an audience.

A large part of playing with and for others is the social aspect. Recently I played at a larger party of about 70 people and someone asked if they could play along on their guitar and we had a great time and I'm sure that we both learned something.

Redcap

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

Accordion teachers are probably not easy to find in some places and I would like to suggest something that might improve your playing even when you can't find a teacher. Do you have any friends or acquaintances who play an instrument who you might be able to jam with? Playing with other musicians can improve your skills and musicality because you are interacting with others who are perhaps more skilled and this will definitely lead to better results.

I have some friends who play various instruments and it's amazing how much you can pick up by just playing some songs together. You will get instant feedback from hearing another musician and it might even result in regular sessions which makes playing any instrument a lot more fun. We all want to pick up our accordion and playing a complex piece effortlessly but that takes a heavy investment in time and effort and if it turns into something regular it might grow into a nice social event with more participants and even an audience.

A large part of playing with and for others is the social aspect. Recently I played at a larger party of about 70 people and someone asked if they could play along on their guitar and we had a great time and I'm sure that we both learned something.
Hi Valski....thanks for the welcome etc....you're right, and only last week a guitar playing friend and I restarted our weekly jamming sessions...and the effect on me was to make sure I get back into practising on a daily basis...achieving some favourable results already !!😇...I guess my issue is I'd like to develop/progress my playing style. By way of example, my old accordion teacher from 40 yrs ago didn't get to the point of teaching me the typical French style techniques/music...which is primarily where my interest lies..maybe it might have happened in later lessons....but life moved on beyond the accordion when I started my working life.....but now I'm back and attempting to make up on some lost time !!😬

Valski

Reaction score
I also like French Musette style music and have taken it upon myself to learn some of them. There seem to be a lot of waltzes very much in the style of a Viennese waltz. Throw in a lot of triplets and you have learned more French music than most of your audience is ready to listen to. Listen to some of the many YouTube performances to help you get the right feel for the music and you're ready to go.

I oversimplified my point for impact because we can sometimes be blinded by our ambition. When Irish dancing was popular and there were all of the professional troupes performing all over the world I took my wife to one of the better known shows and an hour into the program was bored to tears. Although catchy the music started to sound the same. You would get the same feeling with any other styles that you might listen to for a stretch be it Scottish bag pipes or German polkas. Play the songs that your friends like and by all means expand your repertoire. Play different styles of music, like foxtrot and tango; play Greek which also sounds great on accordion.

The best way to develop your playing is to play as much as possible. It might take you playing the song over and over again but soon enough it starts to sound good. You will see that during your jam sessions with others that you will start to get into the groove and your listeners will comment on how good you sound. Make it fun for yourself and those listening to you.

Redcap

Reaction score
I also like French Musette style music and have taken it upon myself to learn some of them. There seem to be a lot of waltzes very much in the style of a Viennese waltz. Throw in a lot of triplets and you have learned more French music than most of your audience is ready to listen to. Listen to some of the many YouTube performances to help you get the right feel for the music and you're ready to go.

I oversimplified my point for impact because we can sometimes be blinded by our ambition. When Irish dancing was popular and there were all of the professional troupes performing all over the world I took my wife to one of the better known shows and an hour into the program was bored to tears. Although catchy the music started to sound the same. You would get the same feeling with any other styles that you might listen to for a stretch be it Scottish bag pipes or German polkas. Play the songs that your friends like and by all means expand your repertoire. Play different styles of music, like foxtrot and tango; play Greek which also sounds great on accordion.

The best way to develop your playing is to play as much as possible. It might take you playing the song over and over again but soon enough it starts to sound good. You will see that during your jam sessions with others that you will start to get into the groove and your listeners will comment on how good you sound. Make it fun for yourself and those listening to you.
Sound advice Val, thanks....yes I'd like to throw in triplets etc but thats where I think I'm stuck...and.probably why I'm looking for some tuition; to help get me moving beyond my current playing ability (y)