• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Sunset On The St. Lawrence

boxplayer4000

Reaction score
The waltz ‘Sunset On The St. Lawrence’ was composed by Maxime Heller about 1910.
As a young engineer, in 1962, I sailed up the St. Lawrence and into the Great Lakes. Volkswagen Beetles were shipped in and grain from the vast silos at Chicago was shipped out. Memories include the incredibly long bulk carriers which plied the lakes, which could only have operated in these relatively calm inland waters and Scottish migrants who would come to the canal locks to see the ship flying the Scottish flag.
'Sunset On The St. Lawrence’ entered the Scottish idiom through being recorded by such players as Jim Johnstone. My arrangement and recording, here, is part of my attempt to combat the downturn in musical activity as well ‘keep the wheels on the bus’ as long as possible.

wirralaccordion

Reaction score
You come up with some beautiful melodies Boxplayer ( as was the destiny waltz also ) although I think 100% acoustic accordion would have been even better, but that is just my personal preference. Did you have a reason for midi-ing the stradella bass?

boxplayer4000

Reaction score
Wirralaccordion:
The midied bass is popular round here partly, I think, because it can largely replace a rhythm pianist. Good rhythm pianists are in short supply and the midied bass in good hands, such as those of Gordon Pattullo, it is very effective. My use of the midi stops at the left hand as I have not heard any sounds for right hand that I would want to use. The good and bad points of the midied bass are they don't ask to get paid after a gig but on the other hand they don't stand their round at the bar.
Thanks for your comments.