• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Sticky C Bass Button Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacetrakker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've just received my new "baby", an immaculate Hohner Concerto 1 purchased privately from USA.

The unit looks brand new in every way and is perfectly in tune with a lovely light musette tone. (Pic Attached)

Only problem is that the C root bass button (Dimpled) tends to stay down but pops up again when some of the adjacent buttons are depressed. Eg pushing Cmajor or F major chord buttons when the C is stuck down will make the C pop back up and the major chord buttons feel as though they have lightly clicked past an obstacle in the bass machine. If I push the same Chord buttons when the C is up in it's normally up state, they feel completely free and don't exhibit the obstruction feel that is there when the C root button is stuck down.

Hope that all makes some kind of sense. I've had a read on the Accordion Revival website and also have George Bachich's book but was hoping someone may recognise the specific symptoms and suggest best course of action. I would be very grateful if someone can shed some light on this issue so I can fix it.

I'm a little concerned that it may be some bass rod misalignment from shipping as the unit had been tightly wrapped in bubblewrap and then packed into its travel case.

Thanks for your help
John

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 756
Well, Here I am again replying to my own thread......BUT....Problem Solved!

I finally decided that I would remove the bass endplate and take a peek at the bass machine. After much button pushing I found that the C root button/piston operated a lever at the right hand end (looking into the bass machine) and every time the button was fully depressed, the small actuator (Covered in a plastic sleeve) which pushed against the C note valve pallet mechanism would actually slip sideways and jam there. 30 Minutes of staring at the mechanism finally produced the answer. A thin rod was found protruding about 1 inch out of the left end of the bass machine. It turned out to be a pivot for a full row of levers which had somehow vibrated or shifted and allowed the right hand most lever (C root note) to float free. A gentle push relocated the pivot rod through the pivot hole in the problem lever and presto all is fine!

Please feel free to call me if you need your PA repaired !! :D ;)

Cheers John

Congratulations.
First repairs are always very satisfying.

ALL diy repairs are very satisfying...

spacetrakker said:
30 Minutes of staring at the mechanism finally produced the answer.

this worked for me once too when a friend of the family had 2 bass buttons stuck/pushed on their 8 bass button box and the mechanism was tangled and i repaired it for him :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back