• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Sticking hand on bass

Status
Not open for further replies.

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When I have my hand through the bass strap in the centre everything is ok and I can reach a few bass buttons without having to move my hand much. But I'm finding it a struggle when I have to move my hand up or down as the bass strap gets tighter and I am struggling a bit to get my hand in the correct position to play the chords I need to play (on my Roland this is down around Bb & Eb). I've done I rubbish sketch to show what I mean:
1611085482987.png
If I slacken the bass strap then when playing around the centre of the accordion the strap is far too loose. How do you guys get around this?
I'm also finding that my hand gets a bit sweaty and this is also causing my hand to stick to the accordion a bit which isn't helping either.

Some manufacturers added a "bridge" between the feet to increase the distance between the base plate and the strap near the top and bottom. Bugari used to always do this (on conservatory models) but stopped doing it because it could occasionally cause the strap to make noise, rubbing against the bridge. I now 3D-print my own bridges.

Knobby,
Have the bass strap relatively loose (so your hand slides easily to wherever you need it) and take up the slack by "flexing" your wrist. ( You may need to experiment some to get it right.)
Also, I find it handy to either have a velvet/velour faced bass strap, or (with my wife's help) make a stiff cloth sleeve to fit over the existing leather bass strap. This stops your wrist sticking to the strap.
Once you get this right, you'll never need to give your bass strap another thought!??

Last edited:
I have an FR 1X.
I initially had difficulty easily/quickly/accurately playing the Eb and lower, E and higher on the bass. I tried a finger-less glove, which helped moving the hand, but often times it did not improve my accuracy.

I realized my inaccuracy was caused by my hand placement, not so much the strap creating resistance. I was resting my hand more on the palm, then the wrist. Once I readjusted my hand to rest on the wrist, so that hand could more freely pivot, problem resolved. Also, by resting on the wrist, my reach was extended, so again I was better able to accurately reach those extreme bass notes.

I no longer use a glove and I have actually tightened the base strap a little.

Last edited:
Knobby, you can sprinkle some corn starch powder on your hand to help the sticking.

Tom,
This would work, but would you be picking corn starch out of the innards subsequently??

at the auto parts store you can find various sleeves for adding comfort to SeatBelt shoulder harness crossovers

some are wooly, some cottony, they trifold over the belt and hold themselves with velcro

these are actually ideal for bass straps of medium width or less

they can be fitted loosely so they slide with your hand somewhat, or tightly so as to add to the middle ( while leaving the ends uncovered )

and they are inexpensive, so you can buy a couple and experiment

i first used them to cover poor condition bass straps as a quik temporary fix, but found them versatile and useful, so they live on many of my accordions permanently now

Attachments

• 5f2cf829-0429-410a-857d-78e575e6ca91_1.b11bcaa0be09f93759e40d293d305de2.jpeg
    5f2cf829-0429-410a-857d-78e575e6ca91_1.b11bcaa0be09f93759e40d293d305de2.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 22e65a3b5d435979.jpg
    22e65a3b5d435979.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 2
I'm not sure of how your accordion is designed but on most accordions you can use 2 wooden dowels to give
you more hand travel inside the bass strap. The dowels are inserted between the feet and top and bottom of
the bass strap. The strap still can be adjusted but now will give your hand more free travel space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back