• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

"Sterilize" an accordina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim2010

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am giving some thought to selling one of my accordinas, but I don't know what to do to make it as clean as possible for a buyer (especially as COVID19 drags on). I also would like to know how to keep them clean for myself. Any suggestions appreciated.

Jim,
Is this a wooden item ?
I supose you could spray/ wipe with hand steriliser but the effectiveness would be doubtful.
A bit like sterilising bag pipes, really ?
It seems to me the plethora of recently arisen transmissible diseases is very likely to ruin the market for used "wind" instruments of all kinds!?
It's already been decades since various music instrument retailers seriously discouraged customers from pre-purchase tryouts of the "harps" in their shops.
Personally, I can't blame them. ?
Suppose you sold it, and the buyer contracted something within a few weeks??
Where would you be legally??
I don't know, but I doubt the experience would be comfortable!?

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I'm no medical expert by any stretch of imagination.

Let's say you go to buy groceries. Many people must have touched the merchandise before I do, and many will after I do. What is the chance of me getting the virus via that path? As long as you wash your hands after handling the objects, I think the chance of getting the virus is reasonably low. Same as getting delivery from Amazon or dropping off the car for service. I travel quite a bit in the last 6 months. I think selling/buying an instrument is less dangerous than staying in a hotel.

If you are selling an instrument, you may want to restrict to one potential buyer's inspection/24 hours, wash the instrument with disinfectant as much as you can, and wash your hands afterwards.

I bought three guitars in the last 9 months (I know, they are not like accordinas). Each of them got a treatment of "disposable disinfectant cloth" immediately after I took delivery :)

After a couple of days there will be no living corona viruses. Can’t say the same about dirt unfortunately. If you can replace the mouth piece then dismount it and give it a jolly good clean. For the case and buttons a soft cloth and some elbow grease are your best option taking special care of nooks and crannies.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm hoping that someone who is familiar with the inner workings will have some suggestions as well.

I suppose because you constantly blow in it anyway, you could use steam to sterilize the insides?

I suppose because you constantly blow in it anyway, you could use steam to sterilize the insides?
Thanks, Jazz. That's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Paul is right.
Steam would likely melt the wax holding the reed plates in place and you would need inconvenient repairs.
This, the difficulty of sterilisation, is why communicable diseases (like COVID19) make dealing with (used) wind instruments in particular so problematic ?

Thank you Dingo40 and Paul.
Paul, if you think it is necessary, what would clean and how would you clean on the accordina? I can easily access the mouthpiece, the mount where the mouthpiece attaches, and (in my case) the synthetic base/air chamber. The sides come off easily, exposing the outside surfaces of the reeds, wax, and "reed block" (I don't know what to call it).

Last edited:
Jim,
I wonder if you could lightly spray it with, or wipe it (whilst disassembled) with a rag moistened with hand sanitizer??

Jim,
I wonder if you could lightly spray it with, or wipe it (whilst disassembled) with a rag moistened with hand sanitizer??
I usually wash the mouthpiece with hot soap and water. When I clean beyond that, I use rubbing alcohol. I have never cleaned the reeds or anything related to the buttons inside or out. Maybe it isn't necessary.

Jim,
You're probably right. Messing too much with the internals could result in other problems ?
They do say the corona virus has a limited shelf life.
Exposure to bright sunlight or uv lamp light may do the trick ??

I am in Florida, USA, so sunshine is in great supply, and as inexpensive as a thing can be! But Paul's admonition about melting the wax still applies, so maybe I have already done everything I am going to do. I have no urgent need to sell the accordina quickly. I may wait until concerns about covid subside.

Last edited:
I only really clean parts of the accordina when it needs tuning. (That requires the reeds to come off and be rewaxed. There is no way to support the reeds that need scratching or filing and you risk bending the reed out of shape when you push on it with a scratcher.)
After playing I blow air through the exhaust, pointing down, to capture any moisture coming out. Other than that, no cleaning. But then, I'm the only user, so no germs from other people getting onto my accordina.

Had a Clavietta Melodica years ago and used these for cleaning. Kept if smelling fresh,
The suggestion came from a clarinet player and it worked fine

Last edited:
how about a UV light?

Had a Clavietta Melodica years ago and used these for cleaning. Kept if smelling fresh,
The suggestion came from a clarinet player and it worked fine
Thanks Jazz and Jim. With everyone's help, I feel confident that I have a few good options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back