• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Steirische beginner in Montana -

Moin01

Reaction score
Good morning all!

Have just started my journey learning the steirische Harmonika and stumbled across this great forum.

Would love to hear from any steirische players who would have some advice for a newbie. I've decided to learn off Griffschrift which was simpler than I expected. Oddly, there seems to be a lack of English language resources. I think if I didn't have an adequate understanding of German I probably would have passed on this particular type of accordion because nearly all learning materials are not in English. I'd be curious to know how others handled that.

For the sake of brevity, I'll keep it short. Just wanted to say hello. :)

Pipemajor

Reaction score
Welcome Moin01, I absolutely love steirische music. You'll find we are a friendly bunch and I'm sure someone who knows far more than I do will be along soon:)

dunlustin

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Diatonic players are thin on the ground here.
Have you seen:

?

Edited to say: I did not mean to seem unwelcoming if that is how it came across.
Also I see the player in my clip is playing a Fismen instrument. They seem to be a newish and quality small-scale maker from Italy.
Wonderful looking instruments.

Last edited:

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Dunlustin,
Thanks for sharing this clip.πŸ™‚πŸ‘
Hi Moin!
Welcome!
Great instrument: love the bases πŸ™‚πŸ‘

JeffJetton

Reaction score
I think if I didn't have an adequate understanding of German I probably would have passed on this particular type of accordion because nearly all learning materials are not in English.

Welcome! I'd love to get a Steirische accordion and learn to play it myself one of these days? Until then I'm making do with a Steirische-style piano accordion (with Helikon basses)

What German-language resources have you found to be most helpful so far?

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd love to add this style of music to my repertoire, but so far the sheet music has eluded me so if someone has any sources, that would be appreciated. :)

Moin01

Reaction score
Diatonic players are thin on the ground here.
Have you seen:

?

Edited to say: I did not mean to seem unwelcoming if that is how it came across.
Also I see the player in my clip is playing a Fismen instrument. They seem to be a newish and quality small-scale maker from Italy.
Wonderful looking instruments.
It's funny you shared this video. I am planning on buying through them this weekend. They have a steirische for sale that I really like! I've been practicing on a borrowed one at the moment but I think it's finally time. A little nervous about shipping, but unfortunately there aren't a lot of options in my area as far as driving to grab one.

Moin01

Reaction score
I'd love to add this style of music to my repertoire, but so far the sheet music has eluded me so if someone has any sources, that would be appreciated. :)
I do have resources, but they're mainly in German. I do have an Austrian resource that has an English translation if you're interested. In my opinion, Griffschrift is much more intuitive to read than traditional sheet music!

Moin01

Reaction score
Welcome! I'd love to get a Steirische accordion and learn to play it myself one of these days? Until then I'm making do with a Steirische-style piano accordion (with Helikon basses)

What German-language resources have you found to be most helpful so far?
Thanks for the welcome! I purchased two different learning guides. Both focus on getting Griffschrift down and then some of the easier Waltzes, Tanzls, and Polkas. Here they are:

Erich Pauli, Neue Harmonika Schule:

Die Steirische Harmonika Methode:
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/steirische-harmonika-methode-sheet-music/21089587?ac=1

Let me know if you ever pull the trigger on a steirische, would love to trade war stories. πŸ˜‚

JeffJetton

Reaction score
This is my probably my favorite Steirische player on the YouTubes. I transcribed her version of Hochzeitslander from this video and enjoy playing it even on piano accordion. Lots of other good tunes on her channel.

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do have resources, but they're mainly in German. I do have an Austrian resource that has an English translation if you're interested. In my opinion, Griffschrift is much more intuitive to read than traditional sheet music!
I can muddle through German pretty easily... its not the method that interests me it is the music, and how I could adapt it to a piano accordion.
Yes please, I am interested. :)

Moin01

Reaction score

Siegmund

Reaction score
A cheerful wave at you, moin01, from the northwest corner of the state. Say hi anytime if our paths cross!

Am going the chromatic button route rather than the Steirisch route here... but being able to read German, and at least decipher the fingering charts in Russian, is a lifesaver for those of us taking up instruments that don't get much attention from the English speaking world.

Moin01

Reaction score
A cheerful wave at you, moin01, from the northwest corner of the state. Say hi anytime if our paths cross!

Am going the chromatic button route rather than the Steirisch route here... but being able to read German, and at least decipher the fingering charts in Russian, is a lifesaver for those of us taking up instruments that don't get much attention from the English speaking world.
Hallo Siegmund!

I'm also in Western Montana. Once we figure out what we are doing maybe we can have a good old button accordion session! πŸ˜‚

Have you already purchased your accordion? We don't have many options around here do we? Do you happen to know anyone that works on them around here or are we resigned to shipping them off for repairs?

Siegmund

Reaction score
A web search turns up Michael Kramarczyk in Missoula for accordion tuning and repair. But I have no inside information as to what types he services or his experience.