• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Stacked keyboards!?

Well spotted, Ffingers!😀
I wonder what that is?🤔
Bur wait, it's not unique!
See here:
There could be a whole tribe?
BTW, he also sometimes plays a "normal " PA.
These are the notes with above clip: is there an explanation here? ( I don't speak Spanish)

GASPARIN Y CESARIN, FLORIDA VENTANA DE GRANADA.flv
Views
Jul 31
SUBIMOS ESTE VIDEO DE ANTOLOGÍA DE DOS AMIGOS. GASPARIN SIEMPRE ESTARÁ CON NOSOTROS POR TODO LO QUE DIO PARA EL ACORDEÓN EN ARGENTINA. RESCATAMOS EL VIDEO DE LA PAGINA DE ACORDEONISIMA.COM A QUIENES FELICITAMOS POR CONSEGUIR ALGO INEDITO Y RECOMENDAMOS SU SITIO EN: http://www.acordeonisima.com.ar TAMBIEN SE MUESTRA EN EL VIDEO DOS ACORDEONES DE DOBLE TECLADO HECHA POR LA FAMOSA FABRICA DE ACORDEONES FUNDADA POR ANCONETANI QUE TRASCENDIERON LAS FRONTERAS DE ARGENTINA POR SU CALIDAD DE SU SONIDO Y SU FABRICACIÓN ARTESANAL INDIVIDUAL UNA POR UNA.

Last edited:
I get the gist of the notes, Dingo, but they do not indicate the 'why' of the double keyboard.
The site acordeonisima.com appears to be defunct.
Curiouser and curiouser ;)

Here's another clip showing the stacked keyboard in use.
Here the stacked portion appears to be unused altogether; could it simplify be a dummy?
But why?🤫
I hope someone can tell us!🙂

Last edited:
How fascinating! I design silly little concepts for impractical accordions all the time, and have devised several double keyboard designs, but I never thought they'd actually be a real thing!
This old drawing of mine comes to mind...

Attachments

• 1655395940508.png
    1655395940508.png
    525.4 KB · Views: 9
I want one!
I dig the register switches (and the metalflake).
Dingo notes he only plays the outer keyboard (which suggests the inner 'board is a fake). While he uses the bass side when playing the "normal" PA, he never uses the bass side when playing the stacked box. Are there even reeds on the bass side (to lighten it up)? This all leads me to believe the whole thing is showmanship.
I still want one.
Tom, Did you see one of these at the Accordion Museum?

Last edited:
There's historical examples like this. I always presumed it was because they hadn't figured out register switches were much simpler for changes between ranges. Like you'd have an H keyboard and a M keyboard, no need for a noisy switch between? They are an oddity indeed. Had no idea anybody was playing something like that now.

I don't understand it, but it appears to be a conspiracy involving elderly, bald gentlemen in tuxedos with eerily similar single-word names. Is this a franchise? Perhaps the great Cesarín and the mighty Gasparín are each too much accordionist for one keyboard. I I love that our introduction to Cesarín is him sitting shirtless in his dressing room.

I still want one.
Tom, Did you see one of these at the Accordion Museum?
I don't recall seeing one at the World of Accordions, but it's possible they have one. I'm pretty sure Jerry S. built one but I can't find a picture.

This might actually be very cool if the secondary keyboard played a subset of the reeds of the primary keyboard, much like the Stradella system does with the chords not playing all the reeds of the bass. There would be some registers where one keyboard wouldn't do anything, or not anything different, but if the lower keyboard were master LMMH, and the upper keyboard played, say, MH, then you'd have two sounds available, just by which keyboard you hit. Play a chord on the upper keyboard, but grab the root from the lower to add the bassoon reed for it.

Would also simplify the number of register switches as several switches would cover for two switches on a normal single keyboard. For example, set the reeds to LMH, then you can play MH on the other keyboard. This would be an even bigger advantage on an LMMMH accordion.

Back