• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Small Cir-Clips

boxplayer4000

Reaction score
Small cir-clips are used in accordion construction and are frequently found in the tone changing coupler mechanisms.
I have removed/refitted those in the past but not with ‘difficulties’ ie. losing the clip when it sprung off in the process.
The clips I am presently looking at are external ones on a 3mm shaft. They don’t have holes to permit the use of a pair of cir-clip pliers. Two ‘recesses’ are noted in the rear interior edge of the cir-clips. By ‘rear’ I mean opposite the open jaws of the clip. Has anybody out there mastered a safe, secure way of dealing with them please?

Glug

Site Supporter
Reaction score
If those are the type also know as e-clips I put them on with a pair of square nose pliers.
One jaw on the closed side of the clip the other jaw against the other side of the shaft (just clear of the open side of the clip), pliers in line with the shaft.

This was a recent bicycle related experience (3/16" e-clip):

e-clip.1.jpg

NB. It's very important to have the right size clip. I originally took about 1 hour to fit a metric e-clip, the imperial 3/16" is the correct size and goes on in 5 secs.

Last edited:

boxplayer4000

Reaction score
Glug:
Thanks for that. Since it is a Hohner instrument I have before me at the moment I am assuming that I am dealing with metric sizes. The pin the cir-clips are attached to is 3mm dia. Is the 3mm size the figure we should use if it was necessary to replace a clip?
My concern was the fact that it is very easy for the clips to 'fly off' when being removed or fitted. I'm taking some comfort from the fact that my local accordion spare parts supplier, CGM, stocks Hohner cir-clips and is only about 30 miles away.

Glug

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't assume it's metric: bass strap adjuster screw on a Hohner is 3/16 whitworth for example.
But if CGM have hohner e-clips that would be a good choice.

Measuring the correct size is a real pain - metric and imperial are measured different ways,
from my earlier research

Metric E Clips (D1500 / DIN6799) are always listed by the groove size they’re fitting in to on the shaft. For example if you have a 5mm groove on your shaft, you will need to order a 5mm E Clip, this should then fit a shaft size of between 6mm – 8mm.

Imperial E Clips (N1500) on the other hand, are always measured by Shaft size. For example if you have a 5/32″ shaft you will need a 5/32″ E Clip.

One 'easy' way is to measure the "free outside diameter" (outside diameter when not fitted) of the e-clip and check it against an online table, eg
https://www.sdproducts.co.uk/sr-ei-re-e-clips-reinforced for imperial sizes - it's the "Free O.D. (G ref)" column. But that only works if you have one of the original e-clips to measure.

Alternatively just get metric and imperial of about the right size and try them - worked for me :)

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am using retaining rings bought from Conrad. They are cheap (7,50 euro for 250 pieces).
When I need to remove and refit such a ring on an accordion I double-check that it is still secure.
Sometimes these rings lose their strength when they are refitted. I always carry some because in the accordion orchestrras I play in there have been a few incidents of the original rings falling off.
borgring.jpg